Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    So I got the touchpad since it could make a decent video player but so far I cannot get anything to play on it.

I can't find the documented specs for videos so I converted a 720p video to mp4 container h264 2 channel audio with a bit rate of 3MB. All I got was audio and the video player became unresponsive while the audio continued playing. These videos play fine on my phone without the need to convert from mkv.

Weird that the device is made for entainment when video support is so poor.

What kind of videos can this thing play and where are the official video specs for the device?
    Last edited by jamex; 08/23/2011 at 06:04 PM.
    get that one video program that cost 8.00 bucks in the app store.
    I converted mine with Handbrake with the Touchpad presets (you can google that yourself) and have had ZERO issues with the video.
    groovdafied likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by maduhbee View Post
    kalemsoft
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    kalemsoft
    there's a demo on their site to try it out
    Get the Kalemsoft app. It supports pretty much all the popular codecs... I.e. virtually all I.e. all the ones VLC supports... I think.

Plus it does a few more esoteric streaming stuff. I am happy with the local video playback.... It has handled all I have thrown at it. Like I said... it's like VLC for the Touchpad.
    Typo Lad and shanpalm61 like this.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maduhbee View Post
    8 bucks? Are you kidding me? I am done buyign WebOS apps. When I had the Palm Pre I already wasted too much money on some very poor apps, some even got pulled from the app catalog. I was reading the bad reviews for that app and I am not taking the chance. WebOS has no refund policy and not even a trial.
    Uhm... relax. codecs are coming.
    For now use Handbrake! It rocks!
    sepherous and Biggnaa20 like this.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryn View Post
    Maybe you didn't understand my question. What specs the it support. I don't want to convert video, I can demux an mkv to mp4 in less than a minute but it didn't play on the touchpad which means there is a limitation to bitrate and/or resolution. Really disappointed with this, like I said these files play fine on my phone.

Problem is I cannot find the touchpad specificaitons and what do you men codecs are coming?
    Last edited by jamex; 08/23/2011 at 06:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Handbrake is excellent. I use it for my iOS devices too.

Just out of curiosity (I'm waiting for my TP delivery) does the TP support all of the features of the mp4 format? I.E. chapters, subtitles (CC), multiple audio streams, cover art, and extended metadata (actor, director, studio, synopsis)?

It's not a huge problem if it doesn't, but it would be a major plus if it does. All of my stuff is meticulously tagged.
    ebonie30000 and dcpmark like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    8 bucks? Are you kidding me? I am done buyign WebOS apps. When I had the Palm Pre I already wasted too much money on some very poor apps, some even got pulled from the app catalog. I was reading the bad reviews for that app and I am not taking the chance. WebOS has no refund policy and not even a trial.
    Try out the Kalemsoft demo, that's as close to a trail you'll get...

KalemSoft - Products
    you are done with paying webOS developers. Hm. But you are here asking for advice and insulting someone who gave you the proper answer.

try this: search this site for 'handbrake plist'. Then give away that $99 'tablet' and go tell everyone how much it sucked.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    The application seems to play what I have fine but the price is a problem. I already lost enough money with WebOS so hopefully a free solution comes along. For now I'll just stick with my EVO 3D for videos.

I wonder how the demo works because it seems to work like the full version.
    So I got the touchpad since it could make a decent video player but so far I cannot get anything to play on it.

I can't find the documented specs for videos so I converted a 720p video to mp4 container h264 2 channel audio with a bit rate of 3MB. All I got was audio and the video player became unresponsive while the audio continued playing. These videos play fine on my phone without the need to convert from mkv.

What kind of videos can this thing play and where are the official video specs for the device?
    I'm pretty sure it supports almost the same codecs as iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1.
    I'm sure there's a way to get good video running on the TouchPad. However, I'm not sure I'll rely on anything "coming" for webOS. If it's here now, great, and that's what I think everyone should base their decisions on.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it supports almost the same codecs as iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1.
    I don't know about the ipad but I sampled the Galaxy Tab before and it played everything out of the box. mkv, ac3 audio, xvids etc.

I found out that the built-in video player has a low bitrate limit.
    Last edited by jamex; 08/23/2011 at 07:05 PM.
    Give me time to get my tablet the way I want. .. eventually I'll try porting mplayer and it's codecs. From what I've seen I doubt webos is dead. The mistake HP made was to ship the final webos image with logging and reporting on. log reporting uses wifi bandwidth. The first thing I did was the performance tweeks. It's fast. I was impressed enough to order the touchstone charger and the protective cover for it.
    I like the Eclipse development plugin.
    sepherous and mefm247 like this.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Give me time to get my tablet the way I want. .. eventually I'll try porting mplayer and it's codecs. From what I've seen I doubt webos is dead. The mistake HP made was to ship the final webos image with logging and reporting on. log reporting uses wifi bandwidth. The first thing I did was the performance tweeks. It's fast. I was impressed enough to order the touchstone charger and the protective cover for it.
    I like the Eclipse development plugin.
    Completely agree, this thing is so much better with logging off, overclocking this makes it zipping fast. I've used android and iOS, while they both have pros and cons, I really like this webOS. I'm surprised there are not more developers with HP/Palm being so willing to work with them (or maybe they're not?). I wished HP/Palm would have found a way to get developers and make webOS the third choice out there. Hopefully HP will find a way to keep it alive.
    gsolis31 and H_D like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    Supporting the same codecs is one part of the equation but given there's a number of different encoding profiles available, we need to know what the TouchPad specifically supports. For H.264 alone, there are already a bunch of options. Baseline, Main, High, etc? What level? CABAC on or off? Bitrate limits? Supported resolution?

If a 3rd party media player app is released, it would need to support hardware acceleration or battery life is bound to suffer.

are you sure your videos are h264 and not x264?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast