Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
    Try RMVB... I bet NOTHING will play.

Even XBMC is dodgy with those files.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
    Lol. No. My Galaxy Tab (7") and my Galaxy S phone plays almost everything I throw at it via the stock player. Divx, avi, mkv, etc.

So far, I have only gotten an h.264 MOV to play on the Touchpad.

This means that I will probably not use the device for videos (unless i plan waaaaaaay in advance) because encoding video on a computer is almost as fun as waiting in line at the DMV!
    Then check the post above you if you want more codecs.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Hi there, I've done some extensive experimentation with the Touchpad and it's your lucky day! I can answer your question:

- The Touchpad can ONLY properly play files with an MP4 extension. This is exactly the same as M4V, you can just rename it.

- The Touchpad can play High Profile H.264 encoded with x264 perfectly, with one caveat: You must disable B-Frames. Yes, this is painful. On the positive side, it handles CABAC and ALL other high profile features perfectly. It WILL play files with B-frames, but if you pause or seek in the video, from that point on it will stutter! Pathetic on HP/Palm's part...

- As you'd guess, a resolution of 1024 wide or less is ideal.

- Handbrake doesn't handle encoding well in this particular case. For the best quality and smallest file size (taking into account that B-frames are out of the question), it's best to use something that allows you to directly manipulate x264's encoding. I use a program called Mediacoder.

Here's how I recommend you set up Mediacoder (64-bit):

1) Ignore all the BS tutorial "easy setup" crap that pops up at first. Close it all, you just want the main Mediacoder window. Say "don't show me this next time".

2) If you already have it installed, go to File > Revert All Settings. This is to make sure there's not ghosts in the machine to screw things up.

3) Options > User Interface Mode > Expert Mode

4) Download these presets I made (attached). As noted earlier, these are for the 64-bit version only.

5) Pick what speed profile you want. The fast/slow HQ will be roughly the same quality, but different file sizes; same for the other quality settings.

6) Go to the "Picture" tab and put a check in the "resize" box. Pick whichever one starts with 1024 (the vertical dimension is set automatically but this must be redone if you have different dimensions on a new file). Of course, if your original file is smaller than 1024 wide there's no point in resizing at all.

7) Set your output and working folders; these can be the same thing, no problem. A folder on your desktop is probably best.

8) Drag your videos into the Mediacoder window and hit start. The "slow" profiles on my core 2 duo take about 1.2x the length of the original video on average. The fast ones are MUCH faster though, at the expense of filesize. Up to you. The "Slow HQ" preset will reduce 350 MB XVID tv show rips to around 200 MB each and the encode will be almost transparent.

9) When the encodes are finished, put them anywhere on your Touchpad, it'll find them.

If you ONLY want speed, Handbrake will do the job fine and much faster. Just be sure to set B-frames to 0. Touchpad handles CABAC, 8x8 transform, and weighted p-frames just fine.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Llanor; 08/25/2011 at 03:21 PM.
    hypertech likes this.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JerkyChew View Post
    Yeah, and 16k is enough RAM for everybody.

I was also disappointed at the lack of formats my TP played, but it played as much as the iPad, and the TP had much bigger bugs to worry about, so I let it slide. But back to your point, I personally have a ton of movies in MKV, 3GP, AVI, and who know what other wrappers. When I drop them in my Evo they just work, In this day and age one should not have to re-transcode every piece of media they have; the media player should handle it. Unlike others in this thread though, I purchased Kalemsoft's player and was happy with it.
    Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I would love it if the stock player could read all those formats, too. When I set up my dad's Epic 4G I was quite enthused to see it play all kinds of torrented videos with no problem. What I was ranting about was how the op was so ****ed that no one could give him all the exact codec specs of the TP. It can already handle any video the ipad can take so in my opinion, if he wanted to get more picky about the pixels or deinterlacedness or 2-pass encoding or how many reference frames to use in the video, well, try it and see what happens :P Or, google the ipad's detailed video specs and I virtually guarantee they will match what the TP can use.

I haven't taken the plunge on kalemsoft's player yet but I probably will soon. After all, spending $8 to "fix" the TP's video codecs isn't so bad after paying $90 for the tablet itself :P
    Llanor, had the answer! Big thanks! I couldn't figure out why all the encoded videos were choppy/not perfectly smooth, and removing B frames did the trick. One thing though, now the anamorphic setting seems to be messed up, and it's stretching the video vertically slightly.

I tried anamorphic strict and loose (both stretched the video slightly), so I'm going to give "none" a shot and see how that goes. I'm starting with the base ipad settings, removing large file, setting framerate to "same as source" and removing the B frames. Thanks a bunch for your advice! I thought I was nuts when watching movies/video!

Edit: To add: Is there a reason why B frames aren't supported? It seems like a pretty basic/common thing as part of the codec..? I'm also curious how you figured out that's what the problem was..
    Last edited by SlowTeg; 08/25/2011 at 04:57 PM.
    Ok, so finally got a ripped movie to show up properly w/ handbrake.. Used the base ipad settings, big file size to off, Anamorphic = "none", framerate = "same as source", audio downsampled to stereo (just to save space), and Maximum B frames = 0. Finally no stuttering/hiccups/etc.

After a quick google search, I'm not sure why B frames aren't supported by the stock player, but it's definitely pretty lousy that it's not. Can anyone be sure that graphics acceleration is being used for video playback vs. just the "cpu"? The obvious advantage is that it will consume less battery power and support higher framerates/more power hungry codecs.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowTeg View Post
    Edit: To add: Is there a reason why B frames aren't supported? It seems like a pretty basic/common thing as part of the codec..? I'm also curious how you figured out that's what the problem was..
    I did about 50 or so test encodes with different setting combinations. Some things made the stuttering better or worse, but it was always present to some degree if B-frames were used.

As you say, B-frames are extremely common and AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $any$ $device$ $which$ $supports$ $main$ $profile$ $or$ $especially$ $high$ $profile$ ($as$ $the$ $touchpad$ $allegedly$ $does$) $should$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $handle$ $them$.

The really infuriating thing though is that it DOES handle B-frames perfectly well, right up until you pause or seek. B-frames make a tremendous difference in file size. Comparing the same file with and without B-frames, I go from ~200 MB to ~130. They're absolutely essential... this perhaps above any other things is what makes me write off HP/Palm as being capable of supporting their devices. How could something so blatantly obvious slip past them?

Quote Originally Posted by SlowTeg View Post
    Can anyone be sure that graphics acceleration is being used for video playback vs. just the "cpu"? The obvious advantage is that it will consume less battery power and support higher framerates/more power hungry codecs.
    I'm not sure how one would be 100% sure of it without doing a battery life comparison. Actually, if there's a tool out there that measures CPU utilization in realtime, you could do the comparison that way. While watching a video, the CPU should theoretically be idle or close to it. The Touchpad is rated for 10 hours watching video, 8 hours for general use... so that gives you an idea just how much of a savings there is.

Make sure that you have CABAC, 8x8, and weighted P-frames enabled. CABAC especially makes a big difference in filesize and the Touchpad handles it fine while the iPad does not.
    Thanks again Llanor for sharing that info regarding the codecs and your findings. I just started playing with my touchpad last night, and after finishing w/ all the updates/patches/tinkering, I got around to loading some movies on it (I'm hopping on a flight tomorrow, so wanted to get a few loaded). After ripping a few different movies, I thought I was losing my mind, as the video just seemed "off." But, everyone on these forums kept swearing up and down that "using X settings are fine." Clearly that isn't the case.

I'm not ready to write HP off just yet, as even with an old early android tablet I had months back (G-tablet), it had some issues as well with video playback. They got ironed out later on. Hopefully the touchpad will be in the same boat..

I was going to give the touchplayer a shot, but since it doesn't use gpu acceleration I was concerned of a quicker battery drain. Guess I should just give it a shot anyway..
    Global Posts
    2,155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Download the IPK file here:

TouchPlayer | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

Install it with webOS quick install.

Install Jason's Homebrew Javascript Framework from preware.

Reboot your touchpad.

Done, open up touchplayer on your touchpad and enjoy playing virtually anything (of course, if you try to play a high end mkv file it's going to bog down - this thing is decoding using the CPU without GPU acceleration, so be kind to your touchpad).

Be sure to thank the developer:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...uchplayer.html
    Ok, so once this is done, can you just drag and drop videos onto the TP?
    Llanor THANK YOU! Removing the b-frames resulted in a fantastic quality mp4 for me. It plays great with the stock player now.

So what exactly are b-frames and what will removing them do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Llanor View Post
    - The Touchpad can play High Profile H.264 encoded with x264 perfectly, with one caveat: You must disable B-Frames. Yes, this is painful. On the positive side, it handles CABAC and ALL other high profile features perfectly. It WILL play files with B-frames, but if you pause or seek in the video, from that point on it will stutter! Pathetic on HP/Palm's part...

If you ONLY want speed, Handbrake will do the job fine and much faster. Just be sure to set B-frames to 0. Touchpad handles CABAC, 8x8 transform, and weighted p-frames just fine.
    Thank you. That was exactly what we needed to know. Would've played with various settings, alas, my TouchPad just shipped today and I won't be getting it until next week.

Hmm, do you know if it will play 1280x720 video? Given how long it takes to do one encode and since I'm planning on converting a couple hundred HD movies (bought lots of HD-DVDs on clearance for $1~2ea and have since added several Blu-rays to my collection), I was planning on encoding just one version that would work with all my devices.

Thanks again!
    Let's go to the other side of the equation....

How do you go from DVD to Touchpad? Can't play something unless you have it first.

(adding to the thread for balance)
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraW View Post
    What about MKV and AVI videos? If I get the Kamelsoft(?) app for $8, will it really
    play everything smoothly?

Thanks!
    +1 .. I want to know too, I have iPad and it is really having problem for playing movie.. especially 720p.

If Kalemsoft can play mkv dan many other format files with at least 720p quality very smoothly then $8 is very worth price!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Llanor View Post
    Hi there, I've done some extensive experimentation with the Touchpad and it's your lucky day! I can answer your question:

- The Touchpad can ONLY properly play files with an MP4 extension. This is exactly the same as M4V, you can just rename it.

- Handbrake doesn't handle encoding well in this particular case. For the best quality and smallest file size (taking into account that B-frames are out of the question), it's best to use something that allows you to directly manipulate x264's encoding. I use a program called Mediacoder.

Here's how I recommend you set up Mediacoder (64-bit):

1) Ignore all the BS tutorial "easy setup" crap that pops up at first. Close it all, you just want the main Mediacoder window. Say "don't show me this next time".

2) If you already have it installed, go to File > Revert All Settings. This is to make sure there's not ghosts in the machine to screw things up.

3) Options > User Interface Mode > Expert Mode

4) Download these presets I made (attached). As noted earlier, these are for the 64-bit version only.

5) Pick what speed profile you want. The fast/slow HQ will be roughly the same quality, but different file sizes; same for the other quality settings.

6) Go to the "Picture" tab and put a check in the "resize" box. Pick whichever one starts with 1024 (the vertical dimension is set automatically but this must be redone if you have different dimensions on a new file). Of course, if your original file is smaller than 1024 wide there's no point in resizing at all.

7) Set your output and working folders; these can be the same thing, no problem. A folder on your desktop is probably best.

8) Drag your videos into the Mediacoder window and hit start. The "slow" profiles on my core 2 duo take about 1.2x the length of the original video on average. The fast ones are MUCH faster though, at the expense of filesize. Up to you. The "Slow HQ" preset will reduce 350 MB XVID tv show rips to around 200 MB each and the encode will be almost transparent.

9) When the encodes are finished, put them anywhere on your Touchpad, it'll find them.

From what I can see of your XML, it results in --profile high --preset veryslow --tune film --me umh --subme 7, for those that like to use x264 command line. And you should probably do that and keep on top of x264 releases, as x264 releases often.
  15. ilm
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraW View Post
    What about MKV and AVI videos? If I get the Kamelsoft(?) app for $8, will it really
    play everything smoothly?

Thanks!
    I was curious too so I tried a large, random sample of videos on my TP yesterday. I'm not quite up to speed on all the evolutions of video codecs, but there were .AVIs from 2001 to today, some MKVs, in a variety of different qualities. Also MPEGs, though now I can't remember if I threw in some WMVs in the mix. Kalemsoft could play everything, and only the 720p MKV didn't run smoothly; anything under that, no problem. For 720p, playback was a bit sluggish and there's an audio/video delay, but I suspect that a few additional speed tweaks and overclocking to 1.7 (I'm on UberKernel now) may allow for smooth playback. I'll keep looking and keep you posted if it does. In any case, that was 8$ well spent.

edit: actually, from what I read it seems the latest beta fixes playback issues on 720p MKVs so I expect it shouldn't be a problem anymore as soon as it goes live on the App store.
    Last edited by ilm; 08/26/2011 at 03:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post
    Llanor THANK YOU! Removing the b-frames resulted in a fantastic quality mp4 for me. It plays great with the stock player now.

So what exactly are b-frames and what will removing them do?
    B-frames can reference future frames as well as past frames -- B meaning bidirectional. P-frames can only reference past frames.
    Quote Originally Posted by toy4x4 View Post
    I converted mine with Handbrake with the Touchpad presets (you can google that yourself) and have had ZERO issues with the video.
    This
    ...edited by staff...
    Wow... You seriously need to relax. I was commenting on the person who recommended Handbrake, and I even quoted his message too that said:

"I converted mine with Handbrake with the Touchpad presets (you can google that yourself) and have had ZERO issues with the video."

I mean seriously, I didn't even say any snarky responses and I felt that the person who posted that message deserved a thumbs up or like, but I personally said "this" because I'm agreeing with the person. However if you wish not to Google search Handbrake, here you go.
    vella_ and hypertech like this.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    ...edited by staff...
    Wow. It takes some serious stones to rage on someone when your entire problem could easily be solved with a Google search. If you can't parse the quoted text to figure out which term to use in a Google search, I humbly suggest that the problem doesn't lie with Groovdafied.

The beauty of the internet is that it empowers everyone using it. Don't expect to be spoonfed, particularly not with that attitude.
    vella_ and hypertech like this.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    handbrake worked fine with the precentral post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast