Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 85
Like Tree39Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    are you sure your videos are h264 and not x264?
    H.264 is the codec. x264 is a cross-platform, open-source encoding software used to convert videos to H.264.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
    H.264 is the codec. x264 is a cross-platform, open-source encoding software used to convert videos to H.264.
    right. than I have to put more letters in this post - videos encoded using x264 can use unsupported profiles because x264 uses many subsets. If you don't want to re-encode your stuff to Touchpad presets and you don't want to buy player, maybe only solution is to hit Ebay, sell Touchpad and buy Tab or any other tablet which supports broader h264 subsets.
  3. micahdg's Avatar
    Posts
    229 Posts
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    #23  
    I just toss the videos into handbrake and set it to the ipad preset. Then I have an app watch for the completed files and transmit the videos directly to my touchpad via ftp
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    right. than I have to put more letters in this post - videos encoded using x264 can use unsupported profiles because x264 uses many subsets. If you don't want to re-encode your stuff to Touchpad presets and you don't want to buy player, maybe only solution is to hit Ebay, sell Touchpad and buy Tab or any other tablet which supports broader h264 subsets.
    Already well aware of that, hence this post:
    Quote Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
    Supporting the same codecs is one part of the equation but given there's a number of different encoding profiles available, we need to know what the TouchPad specifically supports. For H.264 alone, there are already a bunch of options. Baseline, Main, High, etc? What level? CABAC on or off? Bitrate limits? Supported resolution?

    If a 3rd party media player app is released, it would need to support hardware acceleration or battery life is bound to suffer.
    Perhaps my search-** is failing but I haven't found a document from HP with details on video support. Hardware based players will always be more limited than software based ones in terms of containers, codecs and codec settings/profiles supported. However, in this case, we're not even sure what the TouchPad supports so it will certainly be nice if HP can release technical specifications.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
    Already well aware of that, hence this post:

    Perhaps my search-** is failing but I haven't found a document from HP with details on video support. Hardware based players will always be more limited than software based ones in terms of containers, codecs and codec settings/profiles supported. However, in this case, we're not even sure what the TouchPad supports so it will certainly be nice if HP can release technical specifications.
    Guess they published specs somewhere in webOS developers forum at HP site.
  6. micahdg's Avatar
    Posts
    229 Posts
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    #26  
    I don't understand why anybody needs more than this:

    Audio formats: DRM-free MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, QCELP, WAV
    Video formats: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264
    TouchPad best Video format for playback:
    H.264 video codec, AAC audio codec, 1024*768 (resolution), 4000Kbps bitrate
    If you're going to be so picky about precisely what bitrates or codec subsets or whatever, why don't you try it yourself? :P
    shanpalm61 likes this.
  7. jamex's Avatar
    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
       #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    are you sure your videos are h264 and not x264?
    They are h264 and I already figured it out. The touchpad cannot play anything with high profile.
  8. #28  
    FYI, Audiophile (open source) already runs FFmpeg on the backend, I just never bothered to hook the graphics side up to an OpenGL rendering engine (my focus was always the audio). I have no plans to add video support, but if another developer is interested, I will be more than happy to work with you on expanding it to support video.

    If interested, PM me.
  9. #29  
    Simple solution. You don't want to hear it, but I'm going to tell you. Spend the $8...do yourself a favor
  10. #30  
    I'm sorry. I'll go out on limb here and just assume most videos you wish to play are probably ill begotten movies from torrent sites. Again I may be wrong. Assuming I'm correct and you're in the same boat I myself may be in the question of spending $8 to play the 100s of movies you've collected for FREE seems a bit ridiculous. Again apologies if I'm wrong but .... really?! $8?

    EDIT:

    MicahDG - seriously chuckled at your signature thats funny.
    Last edited by professionalbum; 08/24/2011 at 07:26 AM.
    hypertech and psgchisolm like this.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahDG View Post
    I don't understand why anybody needs more than this:



    If you're going to be so picky about precisely what bitrates or codec subsets or whatever, why don't you try it yourself? :P
    Seriously? Just trying blindly is a solution that you think is a good one?
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  12. #32  
    That the ipad plays every form of video including flash using a different browser than safari and there are now apps that even givr you the best **** video sites and FREE.





    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    I don't know about the ipad but I sampled the Galaxy Tab before and it played everything out of the box. mkv, ac3 audio, xvids etc.

    I found out that the built-in video player has a low bitrate limit.
  13. JerkyChew's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahDG View Post
    I don't understand why anybody needs more than this:

    Audio formats: DRM-free MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, QCELP, WAV
    Video formats: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264
    TouchPad best Video format for playback:
    H.264 video codec, AAC audio codec, 1024*768 (resolution), 4000Kbps bitrate

    If you're going to be so picky about precisely what bitrates or codec subsets or whatever, why don't you try it yourself? :P
    Yeah, and 16k is enough RAM for everybody.

    I was also disappointed at the lack of formats my TP played, but it played as much as the iPad, and the TP had much bigger bugs to worry about, so I let it slide. But back to your point, I personally have a ton of movies in MKV, 3GP, AVI, and who know what other wrappers. When I drop them in my Evo they just work, In this day and age one should not have to re-transcode every piece of media they have; the media player should handle it. Unlike others in this thread though, I purchased Kalemsoft's player and was happy with it.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
  14. JerkyChew's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by professionalbum View Post
    I'm sorry. I'll go out on limb here and just assume most videos you wish to play are probably ill begotten movies from torrent sites. Again I may be wrong. Assuming I'm correct and you're in the same boat I myself may be in the question of spending $8 to play the 100s of movies you've collected for FREE seems a bit ridiculous. Again apologies if I'm wrong but .... really?! $8?
    .
    The guy had an attitude and was annoying, but don't turn this into a piracy discussion without any proof. I rip all my Blu-Ray disks to mkv to play in MythTV and Boxee. Don't assume that because I have 10TB of movies that they were obtained illegally.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by hxh103 View Post
    I'm surprised there are not more developers with HP/Palm being so willing to work with them (or maybe they're not?).
    I've had nothing but extremely pleasant exchanges with people on the dev relations team, i really dont think their the problem here, but thats a discussion for another thread. Regardless if u plan on porting or deving i recommend contacting them with any questions their seriously very willing to work with anyone. They are both very helpful and very nice to any dev. even the young ones just starting out such as myself

    TS: i've converted some mkv's to mp4 just this week and have been happily enjoying my videos on the TP btw hd plays BEAUTIFULLY. the screen is really fantastic.
  16. digiphantom's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    For those interested there is a video player in preware that is suppose to play everything.
    What's it called? I just installed Preware. Thanks.

    I had trouble playing video that I converted from handbrake with the Apple universal preset. It works fine on the iPad.
  17. #37  
    DVDFab 8: Use the Ipad settings. It works perfectly for me.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by professionalbum View Post
    I'm sorry. I'll go out on limb here and just assume most videos you wish to play are probably ill begotten movies from torrent sites. Again I may be wrong. Assuming I'm correct and you're in the same boat I myself may be in the question of spending $8 to play the 100s of movies you've collected for FREE seems a bit ridiculous. Again apologies if I'm wrong but .... really?! $8?
  19. #39  
    Download the IPK file here:

    TouchPlayer | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

    Install it with webOS quick install.

    Install Jason's Homebrew Javascript Framework from preware.

    Reboot your touchpad.


    Done, open up touchplayer on your touchpad and enjoy playing virtually anything (of course, if you try to play a high end mkv file it's going to bog down - this thing is decoding using the CPU without GPU acceleration, so be kind to your touchpad).

    Be sure to thank the developer:

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...uchplayer.html
  20. Tarzanman's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it supports almost the same codecs as iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1.
    Lol. No. My Galaxy Tab (7") and my Galaxy S phone plays almost everything I throw at it via the stock player. Divx, avi, mkv, etc.

    So far, I have only gotten an h.264 MOV to play on the Touchpad.

    This means that I will probably not use the device for videos (unless i plan waaaaaaay in advance) because encoding video on a computer is almost as fun as waiting in line at the DMV!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions