Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I picked up a Touchpad a few days ago, and I've been thinking about overclocking it. Does it give a notable speed boost? Also, please don't respond with a non-answer.
    Yes because if you don't like it you can switch back to normal speed. Its as easy as can be.
    Yes. It is worth it. I've been on a Pre minus since 2009 and overclocked at 1.2GHz. The difference is literally night and day.
    And a lot of times it fixes the "Too many cards" error.
    no doubt.
    In short yes it is worth it. The speed boost is noticable but I still experience times when the Touchpad seems to stall momentarily. In addition I have installed all of the "speed up" patches in Preware. I can also tell you that I have not noticed any shorter battery life. In my opinion there are no negatives to overclocking.
    Quote Originally Posted by thesconix View Post
    I picked up a Touchpad a few days ago, and I've been thinking about overclocking it. Does it give a notable speed boost? Also, please don't respond with a non-answer.
    Download "Preware Homebrew Documentation" from the app cat. Follow the instrutions and enjoy!

I am currently running UberKernel v3.0.2-36. @ 1.5ghz. It's very stable and in the public feeds though preware.

I have also tested:

Warthhog v3.0.2-40 @ 1.512ghz & 1.726ghz
    F15C Eagle @ 1.7ghz

Booth in the testing feeds. Make sure to follow the rules if you do decide to use those two.

Makes a world of difference!
    Yep. It's a no brainer. Def worth it.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    100%. And very easy to accomplish
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    Yes. It is worth it. I've been on a Pre minus since 2009 and overclocked at 1.2GHz. The difference is literally night and day.
    1.2??? which kernel is that? is it stable? is there a 500/1.2ghz screenstate?
    does the TP's CPU already scale based on load? or is Govnah required to enable scaling?
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpeo88 View Post
    1.2??? which kernel is that? is it stable? is there a 500/1.2ghz screenstate?
    Where is "Sixburgh, PA?"
    Quote Originally Posted by thesconix View Post
    Yes, it does improve performance noticably.

Non-answer? If you might not like what others could say, then the best decision is to try it for yourself.

For a short answer, yes.

Worth it? Worth what? It is free. Time? It takes 15 minutes. Sure, it is worth 15 minutes, and the minimal amount of reading to know what to look for.

Detailed answer?

If you are looking to easily modify your webOS device for performance, this is the way to go. Other ways to streamline performance is to also install patches from preware to reduce logging. When you look through the patch list you'll notice them.
    Obviously don't forget to install govnah, you can search for it in the preware list.

There is always the option to reinstall the default kernel. And remember, this is just the start. New modifications will be made to increase processing speed in the future. You can even test them from the testing feed.
    Yes.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

No question about it. Overclocks nicely to 1.7~. Higher speeds with current F16C Eagle kernel resulted in reboot for me. No harm done, just didn't work,
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    just done it on my touchpad - very clear difference.

Is this the same chip that was meant to be in the "faster" 64gb model?
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I'm at 1.5 and it is worth it. It is also worth it to get the patches 1) muffle system logging, 2) Remove Dropped Packet Logging, 3) Unthrottle Download Manager & 4) Flash Card Animation Hyper Version. Like the over clocking, these help quite a bit w/speed. No harm to be done. Well worth it, IMO.
    mistah420 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    I'm at 1.5 and it is worth it. It is also worth it to get the patches 1) muffle system logging, 2) Remove Dropped Packet Logging, 3) Unthrottle Download Manager & 4) Flash Card Animation Hyper Version. Like the over clocking, these help quite a bit w/speed. No harm to be done. Well worth it, IMO.
    Yes all of those are on mine as well, it makes the experience smooth.
    def. When I first got mine flash stuttered a lot was out of sync too with voice. After the patches and the 1.5 overclock(tweaked it a little), Flash now runs buttery smooth. Better than my laptop actually
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Does the Flash Card Animation Hyper Version actually help with speed??? or just make the card look like its on Speed?

I didn't think it helped, it was just a visual thing with the pulsating loading graphic.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast