Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by indivisibletears View Post
    Does the Flash Card Animation Hyper Version actually help with speed??? or just make the card look like its on Speed?

I didn't think it helped, it was just a visual thing with the pulsating loading graphic.
    Agreed, I'm not sure it actually sped anything up. That said, I bet its a lot more useful if you do overclock.
    Why isn't it 1.5 out the box? I know the 64gb version was supposed to be 1.5. Is It a different chip, main-board or cooling.

There has to be a danger or risk to over-clocking. These haven't been out long enough for people to see if there are any long term effects. Why damage your touchpad when they are hard to get and discontinued.
    Quote Originally Posted by thesconix View Post
    I picked up a Touchpad a few days ago, and I've been thinking about overclocking it. Does it give a notable speed boost? Also, please don't respond with a non-answer.
    Overclocking with Uberkernel and Govnah will result in a performance boost. To make it an even more significant performance boost, also install:
    - Muffle System Logging
    - Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    - Unset CFQ IO scheduler

Then within Govnah Advanced Settings change the I/O scheduler to NOOP instead of CFQ.

My perception of Faster Card Animations is that it didn't actually literally improve performance per se; it merely moves/opens cards faster so that some people may <perceive> that it's faster.

For privacy & security, you might also consider:
    - EOM Overlord Monitoring (disables reporting of actions, apps, sites to Palm)
    - Max Blocker - blocks ad popups
    - Private Browsing - disables cookies and tracking

Non-Answer: Go Broncos!
    Could over-clocking harm or shorten the lifespan of a touchpad?
    Quote Originally Posted by vasilmann View Post
    That's what I'm wondering.
    I have had a Palm Pre Plus for approximately a year and a half. I have had that overclocked since the first day I had it and it still runs perfectly. I picked up the touchpad on Sunday and within 30 minutes of getting it out of the box I had Preware on it and it loaded up with Uberkernal and overclocked.

Go for it you won't be sorry.
    I've bumped mine to 1.7Ghz and applied the various patches. No noticeable heating, no effect on battery charge. I suspect the strategy was to release these at 1.2Ghz, the beefier and now defunct 64Gb clocked higher etc. The chip has a lot of headroom. Currently, devs are working on pushing it to 2.0Ghz.
  8. NSA
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I overclocked to 1.5, and while Govnah shows a higher mA.. it's nothing critical and seems to be running smooth.

Like others have mentioned, the overall issue with overclocking may be yet to rear its head as all the tablets are new.. but as long as the internal temp doesn't skyrocket, I imagine we're within the operating parameters.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopyfist View Post
    Agreed, I'm not sure it actually sped anything up. That said, I bet its a lot more useful if you do overclock.
    That particular patch, I believe you are correct. The two logging patches definitely make a difference.
    Well, for now I will keep on using my stock TP, if in a few weeks/months I feel the urge to overclock I guess I will. However most of the ppl that have overclocked seem to be VERY happy about it with no regrets, so I guess it is worth it!
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpeo88 View Post
    1.2??? which kernel is that? is it stable? is there a 500/1.2ghz screenstate?
    The 1.2GHz kernel for the Pre minus is the SR71 Blackbird kernel. It won't run on all Pre minus, but if it does run... you're golden I've been running it ever since it came out and am very happy with it.
    Idk...but I will say I've had my pre overclocked double (500 MHz to 1ghz) for 18 months or so, and it's still kicking.

I'll probably go ahead and overclock the touchpad too
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    The TouchPad processors are the same that are in the 64g version that is running at 1.5 GHz out of the box but they are set at 1.2 for some reason so I see no real problem over clocking to 1.5. The uberkernal that will do this is the only overclocking kernel that is currently out of alpha testing, that is another reason why I chose to use it instead of the warthog kernel or others.

I have a palm pre phone since June 2009 and have been overclocking that to 1 GHz for over a year and have had no problems. I remember seeing a thread about it stating that it could possibly cut my phones estimated life span from 7 years to 3-4, that's still longer then I plan on keeping it so I saw no problem with overclocking it.
    Overclocking plus the various logging patches in addition to the increase touch sensitivity and remove tap ripple has made me love the TP even more! Much better than stock.
    Hey folks - not trying to threadjack, but I didn't want to start a new one since this was already up.

I installed pretty much all of the patches and various things to speed up my TP. They worked great. My question is this: If I was able to do that, will I have any issues with overclocking my TP? My only concern is that I get halfway through and I get lost.
    The Uberkernel overclocking Kernel is totally fail safe.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    It's unlikely. The APQ8060 is designed to run at 1.5GHz. In essence, you're not overclocking it, you're restoring the clockspeed to it's designed spec, HP underclocked it in the first place.

However, there may well be good reasons why HP did that in the first place, such as cooling, heat concerns, or whether testing showed the chip just wasn't reliable at 1.5GHz long term. I don't know.

As a counter to that however, it should probably also be noted that the 64GB white version, as well as AT&T's ill-fated 4G version both had the (same) chip clocked at 1.5GHz, likely without any other considerations to heat.

Personally, I haven't overclocked, mostly because I'm not into the whole modding/flashing/rooting scene (don't hate guys, I know there's a load of preware lovers here. It's just not how I roll). I also don't really think that .3GHz per core can genuinely make *that much of a difference to making stuff smooth, where it was not before. It maybe be a placebo effect (it's 'snappier').
    Quote Originally Posted by ajstockdale View Post
    . I also don't really think that .3GHz per core can genuinely make *that much of a difference to making stuff smooth, where it was not before. It maybe be a placebo effect (it's 'snappier').
    Well, a 20% overclock is nothing to sneeze at and a 20% speed increase does make a difference. I'm a PC CPU and video card overclocker of many years, and the difference when overclocking this much is measurable in real-world use and in benchmarks. My TP is overclocked to 1.728Ghz, and the difference from the stock speed of 1.2Ghz is definitely there, no question. The other patches to stop logging etc give an additional "oomph" to the OS as well.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkSkunk81 View Post
    Hey folks - not trying to threadjack, but I didn't want to start a new one since this was already up.

I installed pretty much all of the patches and various things to speed up my TP. They worked great. My question is this: If I was able to do that, will I have any issues with overclocking my TP? My only concern is that I get halfway through and I get lost.
    You already have Preware installed. Open it, from the available packages, go to Kernel, and select Uberkernel (TouchPad). It is really that simple. If you don't have it, also get Govnah. Then ensure the profile is set to On DemandTd 1512 (or something like that)--you are now over clocked at 1.5GHz.

Govnah also allows you to monitor other things--I always like to see the temperature of the device, but it seems the TouchPad runs much cooler (I'm at 29C now) than the Pre phones--they could run as high as 41C or higher.

Both Uberkernel & Govnah are free--unless you want to donate to the developers who provided the boost in speed & allow you to monitor things for your protection.

If you entered the patches, this is just as easy!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Im going to give this a try when I get back home on Monday..
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast