1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    So I have set up the touch-pad with all my accounts (skype, Gmail, corporate exchange) - what is the quickest and easiest way to manage notifications - do I do it on a per account or do some via the IM app and some via email.

I think what I'm basically asking - what's the easiest way to be off-line for skype but still get email notifications.

Oh and will it wake me up in the night with emails pinging or does it go into 'night' model like Android?
    When you're offline through Skype, that doesn't mean that you're offline from your email. I'm not available for Skype (or gmail chat) but I'm still getting my email notification banners.

If you have email setup for a "ping" sound upon arrival then yes, it will go off whenever your Touchpad gets an email.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Along those same lines. If I add an AIM account, am I actually ever logged off, or am I only logged on when the messenger is open? I use it for work, and I don't want IM's after 5:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    If you don't want it to bother you at night, turn on Airplane mode or just turn off the wifi...Or turn it off. It doesn't hurt to not have technology for a while. The Amish have survived...
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noktomezo View Post
    If you don't want it to bother you at night, turn on Airplane mode or just turn off the wifi...Or turn it off. It doesn't hurt to not have technology for a while. The Amish have survived...

true... but the amish dont have a touchpad.. therefore.. its not a big deal for them.. dude just wants some help...

and right now.. the amish and i have something in common... no touchpad...
    Last edited by ryangur; 08/23/2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: not noob
    In the chat application, you can log in/out of all accounts by pressing on the dot indicator icon. There is not currently a way to log out of say, just aim, but leave skype/other still connected unless you either remove the account or change the password to an invalid password.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    In the Messaging app, there's the ability to set your status. The three default statuses are: available, busy & offline. You also have the ability to customize your status by tapping the text to type. You can set your Messaging notification in the Preferences menu.

The nofication preference and status applies to all accounts.

It looks like email notifications are managed by individual account. Go into the Email>> Preferences & Accounts. Tap on an account and you'll see the "New Message" section provides the options to manage notifications.

As for email notifications during night. Do you use the touchstone? If so, exhibition mode silences things for me.
    War Eagle!
    If you have an IM account hooked up, you're almost always online. You have to manually open up the IM app and tap on the icon and tap offline to sign yourself off. Otherwise, you're always on. You can go into the messaging app's preferences to choose which IM you're logged into and which one you're not.

There's always Mode Switcher...
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    In the Messaging app, there's the ability to set your status. The three default statuses are: available, busy & offline. You also have the ability to customize your status by tapping the text to type. You can set your Messaging notification in the Preferences menu.

The nofication preference and status applies to all accounts.

It looks like email notifications are managed by individual account. Go into the Email>> Preferences & Accounts. Tap on an account and you'll see the "New Message" section provides the options to manage notifications.

As for email notifications during night. Do you use the touchstone? If so, exhibition mode silences things for me.
    The touchstone is currently half the price of the touchpad so I will wait until they come down a bit more.
    as stated you will have to individually set each email account/messaging account for alert type sound/vibrate/mute i currently have all email accounts to mute and show icon(which i believe causes the device to flash on for a second..could be wrong)...but you still get the blink notification on the home button for all alerts....or just remember to turn your volume down at night....oh and theres mode switcher...havent tried it on touchpad yet(huh kinda didnt think about till the above post)...hmm...time to tinker
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by retroblu View Post
    as stated you will have to individually set each email account/messaging account for alert type sound/vibrate/mute i currently have all email accounts to mute and show icon(which i believe causes the device to flash on for a second..could be wrong)...but you still get the blink notification on the home button for all alerts....or just remember to turn your volume down at night....oh and theres mode switcher...havent tried it on touchpad yet(huh kinda didnt think about till the above post)...hmm...time to tinker
    Where do I set them? I can't see it in the email client - I don't think you can.

Wait - I've just released the home button flashes when you have a message - that's neat.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Where do I set them? I can't see it in the email client - I don't think you can.

Wait - I've just released the home button flashes when you have a message - that's neat.
    Go to email > Preferences and accounts (upper left pulldown). Under Accounts, tap on the account you want to set tone for. Under New Message, select the alert for vibrate, system sound, ringtone, or mute. If you select ringtone, a new function will be added that allows you to select ringtone.
    If you’re looking for something like the “Battery Saver” mode on Android, look at the app “Mode Switcher” (I assume it is available for the TP.) It is kind of like Tasker for Android in that it allows for many different automations, not just turning off network connections.

You can certainly use it to set up the tablet to mute email/text notifications in the evening hours.

-Suntan
    cant find mode switcher in the app cat on the touchpad or in preware...hmmm...
    does anyone have any idea why messenger notifications do not show up on the touchpad dashboard? Its a little bit infuriating to have a g-talk convo going on, relying on the notifications to keep you abreast, only to see YOU'RE the d-bag who walked away from the conversation 2hours ago...

ugh. Am I just stupid, or is this a known issue?

Quote Originally Posted by LocalH210 View Post
    does anyone have any idea why messenger notifications do not show up on the touchpad dashboard? Its a little bit infuriating to have a g-talk convo going on, relying on the notifications to keep you abreast, only to see YOU'RE the d-bag who walked away from the conversation 2hours ago...

ugh. Am I just stupid, or is this a known issue?

I'm not sure if there is a problem with g-talk but I have AIM and Skype set up and I get notifications in the dashboard. It's a white messaging bubble icon.
    Aye - it appears to be an issue with all services run through my messaging app...aim, gtalk, skype...

I've attached a screen shot, in hopes that someone'll see something I'm not.

Any help would be a godsend.

Attached Images Attached Images