Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have a quick question, has anyone had success in tethering the HP Touchpad with another cell phone other than a palm pre using freethether and mytether....
    Android phones work. The only problems I hear of are WM phones that create ad hoc networks instead of wifi hotspots.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Android phones work. The only problems I hear of are WM phones that create ad hoc networks instead of wifi hotspots.
    tried it with my old Touch Pro2, and it doesn't work as FenrirWolf had said.
    WM phones creates an ad-hoc/peer to peer internet sharing wifi "hotspot"
    Works with laptops but not with Touchpad.
    diddly4 likes this.
    yes, tried it with my Sprint EVO 4g .. worked just fine
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by atifareen View Post
    yes, tried it with my Sprint EVO 4g .. worked just fine
    what program are you using, one from the market, is your evo rooted, or are you using the built in one that's in your settings. I consider myself not a noon but I just haven't figured it out yet. I have a LG android phone rooted. I have used every rooted WiFi app in the market, still can't connect.
    iphone 3gs jailbreak tethering app did not work...the app did have a disclaimer saying it is not compatible with all devices..
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Works with my rooted HTC Inspire 4G.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcheffe View Post
    Works with my rooted HTC Inspire 4G.
    what program are you using
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Android phones that create adhoc wifi using apps like wifi tether (most of them) will not work. Some HTC Android phones like the Evo create infrastructure wifi from wireless tether, so those work. The official Hotspot app built into Android phones does infrastructure, so if you're paying for it legit, no worries there.

Actually I think it should be the other way around, as in the TP should be compatible with both adhoc and infrastructure wifi.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    arealwookie likes this.
    Can the Touchpad see the ad-hoc network? If so then try to enter the IP address and other network settings (Netmask, Gateway, DNS) manually. I'm about to retire my Pre and I need a phone on Sprint that will share the 3G connection (4g is not available in my area) without charging me an arm and a leg for it.
    I am one of the proud new owners of a shiny 32gig TouchPad via the weekend firesale

My biggest most pressing question is how tha heck can I tether my new TouchPad if I don't have a webOS phone? I have an Android phone with a super speedy unlimited Verizon 4G connection...and would LOVE (/slash/NEED) to be able to tether my Android phone to my TouchPad in order to use it on the go (when I can't find a free WiFi connection).

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    All I did was activate my hotspot on my Sensation.. Opened up the wifi settings and connected
    Quote Originally Posted by BiGMERF View Post
    All I did was activate my hotspot on my Sensation.. Opened up the wifi settings and connected
    When I attempt to turn on the built-in hotspot app on my Samsung Charge (it looks like it's a Verizon hotspot app) it tells me that I need to call Verizon to sign up for the $20 or $30 per month tethering plan

What hotspot app are you using?
    a good question for the android forums
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Yea I have Tmo.. they do not require you to sign up for a tethering plan.. All the others do.. I love it
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    a good question for the android forums
    I am most certainly hitting up various Android forums to try to find a way to get my TouchPad connected to the interwebs when on the go...and will post any successful ideas found here...but was hoping that someone here on the PreCentral forums might have found a way to connect their TouchPad to the interwebs when on the go via a non-webOS based phone.

Thanks much!
    Use whatever tethering app you would use to connect your laptop... with webOS phones we can still tether for free
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Officially you need to pay Verizon for the tethering.
    Unofficially if you want to root your phone there is a program called wireless tether out there that bypasses verizons hotspot.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Use whatever tethering app you would use to connect your laptop... with webOS phones we can still tether for free
    I've tried using the PDANet app (on my Samsung Charge Android phone) which allows for free tethering via either USB or Bluetooth...but when I turn on the Bluetooth option (I haven't found a way to tether my TouchPad via USB...yet - my TouchPad doesn't "find" the bluetooth connection that's available on my Android phone. I've tried all of the possible TouchPad bluetooth options (Audio, webOS Phone, Keyboard and Other)...but the TouchPad doesn't "find" my Android phone's bluetooth connection.

Is there a tethering homebrew app available for the TouchPad (via Preware) or something of the sort? Or some sort of homebrew patch that lets the TouchPad find non-webOS phones for bluetooth tethering?

ps - i usually tether my Android phone to my laptop using USB...if that helps any?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by markdanielmiller; 08/23/2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: adding content
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast