Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Root your Droid.

Then download this
    wireless_tether_2_0_7.apk - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0.7 - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

It's the older version. 2.0.7 which was the only version I could get to tether my Droid2 to my Touchpad.
    The common means of tethering is wifi. However, this dosent really work as im looking for better battery life. My concern is that the TP dosent seem to have the necessary bluetooth profile to accomplish this (DUN). Does anyone know of a way of adding this profile, and if so once added, how do we access this via the gui as the options now (webos, audio, other and keyboard) do not allow this.....

DUN, i mean DUN.... lol
    Last edited by lurch; 08/29/2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: type-o
    The TouchPad may not have the DUN protocol, but it does have the PAN protocol (which is encompassed by the Other type), so if your phone can support sharing the data connection through BT PAN, it should work.

EDIT: Ooops, I was wrong. It does not support PAN, unlike every previous webOS device. Profiles supported according to Device Info are HFP/HSP, A2DP, AVRCP, OPP, SPP, MAP, HID.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 08/29/2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Incorrect info
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Ill give it another shot..... This time im going to reinstall MyWi, restart completely, and try again....
    No dice..... going to try with my laptop (could just be my stupid iPhone).
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    my Droid 1 phone is already rooted, using Pete's latest Bugless Beast rom, not his GPA gingerbread roms.

not sure if this is a limitation on the Droid 1 or because the rom i put on it just doesn't support infrastructure. never had issues with anything tethering to it before though.

has anyone with a rooted Droid 1 gotten this to work?
    Quote Originally Posted by gotwillk View Post
    my Droid 1 phone is already rooted, using Pete's latest Bugless Beast rom, not his GPA gingerbread roms.

not sure if this is a limitation on the Droid 1 or because the rom i put on it just doesn't support infrastructure. never had issues with anything tethering to it before though.

has anyone with a rooted Droid 1 gotten this to work?
    I think it's a limitation of the Droid 1 hardware. Droid X, 2 and up all appear to support it.
    Ok, after digging around and updating my windows driver, i was able to get it paired however, the only service supported was A2DP.

After digging around in the device information on the TP, it states that the supported bluetooth profiles are:
    HFP/HSP (Headphone)
    A2DP (Audio)
    AVRCP
    OPP
    SPP
    MAP
    HID

no DUN or PAN profiles so i guess im stuck. I did see that there is a preware app for enabling sharing on the Palm Pre with the necessary profiles for sharing the pre's connection. That said, it should be a simple matter of "reversing" the path so to speak to add either DUN or PAN to the available profiles. Thoughts?
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgf2002 View Post
    Thanks for your post. I spent the better part of the day getting FRo7 Android install working on my Sprint Touch Pro 2 (connected to boost mobile) - had problems getting SD card to install software properly. Working well now it seems.

Trying out the included tethering software, I could get the TouchPad to detect the Android wireless tethering signal but got "no internet connection" when tried to access the net via the HP Touchpad.

Do you have any hints / advice you could share as to how you got it to work?

I noticed that the detailed auto internet settings under the AndroidAP were kluged. The gateway ip address was similar to, but shorter than the ip address and not the typical 19.168.1.1 or similar.

Had the problem on both open and wpa2 security settings.

Thanks in advance.

David
    UPDATE: I figured out that you can manually configure ip settings on the Touchpad per each selected network.

Now, I just need to know how to find the detailed IP configuration settings on the Android 2.2 configured HTC Touch Pro 2 (Sprint / Boost connected) with FRX07 HDAndroid setup (booting android off SD card).

The wi-fi tether ap in FRX07 has no configuration settings / options beyond the SSID , password and security method that I can find.

Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by lurch View Post
    Ok, after digging around and updating my windows driver, i was able to get it paired however, the only service supported was A2DP.

After digging around in the device information on the TP, it states that the supported bluetooth profiles are:
    HFP/HSP (Headphone)
    A2DP (Audio)
    AVRCP
    OPP
    SPP
    MAP
    HID

no DUN or PAN profiles so i guess im stuck. I did see that there is a preware app for enabling sharing on the Palm Pre with the necessary profiles for sharing the pre's connection. That said, it should be a simple matter of "reversing" the path so to speak to add either DUN or PAN to the available profiles. Thoughts?
    Weird, man. All previous webOS devices have had PAN rather than OPP, and many people have asked for OPP. So when they do the TouchPad, they tossed out PAN, and added OPP. Sheesh.

I tried to do it with my Veer using freetether in Bluetooth mode. It didn't find it as an "Other" device, just a webOS Phone, and the networking connection didn't happen.

So yeah, looks like I misled you. The other possibility would be the SPP, but I think that would require software on the TouchPad to use the bluetooth serial port. I think this is probably doable in the linux domain, but someone would have to do it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    For those of you with a rooted android phone. I am running Drew's CM7 rom on a sprint optimus s. Wireless tether the app did not work. I then tried using the rom's built in tethering and it worked flawlessly. Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snipsta View Post
    For those of you with a rooted android phone. I am running Drew's CM7 rom on a sprint optimus s. Wireless tether the app did not work. I then tried using the rom's built in tethering and it worked flawlessly. Hope this helps.
    i'm going to flash CM on my Droid 1 tonight to see if i can get it to work.
    Any AOSP Gingerbread rom will work using the built in tether.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    so i just tried the latest nightly build of CM7 for my Droid 1 and it doesn't have a built-in wireless tether option. is it supposed to? or do i have to use a completely stock rom? i've never actually noticed a built-in wireless tether option before though, only a usb tethering option.
    Quote Originally Posted by gotwillk View Post
    so i just tried the latest nightly build of CM7 for my Droid 1 and it doesn't have a built-in wireless tether option. is it supposed to? or do i have to use a completely stock rom? i've never actually noticed a built-in wireless tether option before though, only a usb tethering option.
    I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue. I have CM7 on my Droid 1 and there is no apparent way to do it.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue. I have CM7 on my Droid 1 and there is no apparent way to do it.
    damn it. i guess the only hope is for someone to come up with a patch on touchpad to do ad-hoc.
    Has anyone with an iPhone tried using tetherme instead of pdanet or MyWi. From what I have read it sets up an infrastructure and not ad hoc so the touchpad should be able to connect.

I use it to tether to my iPad, but haven't been able to get my hands on a touchpad of my own yet. Hopefully I can snag one from HP in the next round.
    My Sprint Touch Pro 2 will only ad-hoc in winmo, aka, no dice. I loaded up frx07 and WiFi tether works perfect with the built in android hot spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Weird, man. All previous webOS devices have had PAN rather than OPP, and many people have asked for OPP. So when they do the TouchPad, they tossed out PAN, and added OPP. Sheesh.

I tried to do it with my Veer using freetether in Bluetooth mode. It didn't find it as an "Other" device, just a webOS Phone, and the networking connection didn't happen.

So yeah, looks like I misled you. The other possibility would be the SPP, but I think that would require software on the TouchPad to use the bluetooth serial port. I think this is probably doable in the linux domain, but someone would have to do it.
    Thanks for the update man!!!! Im hoping this is included in HP's functionality update. I mean i believe they would have done this to support their Pre line of phones, now that they are no longer selling these it would make sense to open the door to other phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmatt View Post
    Has anyone with an iPhone tried using tetherme instead of pdanet or MyWi. From what I have read it sets up an infrastructure and not ad hoc so the touchpad should be able to connect.

I use it to tether to my iPad, but haven't been able to get my hands on a touchpad of my own yet. Hopefully I can snag one from HP in the next round.
    Yes i can verify MyWi works well. However not the solution i was looking for; as it drained my iphone faster then ive ever seen. Maybe 2-3 hours max with this running. But also scared to use this as Att can supposedly see this traffic and will kick me off my unlimited plan.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast