Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I have a rooted android, so far I found barnicle tether app was a no go and open garden tether app worked just fine. No special settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwhitie View Post
    Used Iphone w/Bluetooth tethering worked
    Used Iphone w/WIFI tethering worked
    Used HTC w/Hotspot worked

I don't know much about ADHOC so, can't really do any testing there.
    I can't seem to get mywi to connect from my iphone running 4.0.1 on either WiFi or bluetooth
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    TP does not even see wifi from these devices. Eager to see some solution / patch/ workaround fot TP to see ad-hoc.
    I have a rooted ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) Android phone, running custom ROM "Ginger Stir Fry" which is Android 2.3.4.

On the phone, switch on Portable WiFi Hotspot, configure to use WPA2 PSK security,enter a password.
    On the TP, select the "AndroidAP" network (the default Android wifi hotspot name) in WiFi settings, select WPA security, enter password, surf on the Tp!
    Easy!
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwhitie View Post
    Used Iphone w/Bluetooth tethering worked
    Used Iphone w/WIFI tethering worked
    Used HTC w/Hotspot worked

I don't know much about ADHOC so, can't really do any testing there.
    Can you explain the steps you went through to tell your TouchPad to search for the Bluetooth tether from your phone and how you got a successful pairing.

Any details would be greatly appreciated.
    My phone is a HTC Magic (Mytouch 3G). I rooted it and now I am a superuser. I have used a number of wifi tethering apps to get on Internet on my Vista laptop using this phone but I can't get HP Touchpad do the same and locate my SSID no matter what I do. It can't be that Vista uses Ad-hock and Touchpad uses Infrastructure, could it? if no then what else?

Thank you all.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markdanielmiller View Post
    I am one of the proud new owners of a shiny 32gig TouchPad via the weekend firesale

My biggest most pressing question is how tha heck can I tether my new TouchPad if I don't have a webOS phone? I have an Android phone with a super speedy unlimited Verizon 4G connection...and would LOVE (/slash/NEED) to be able to tether my Android phone to my TouchPad in order to use it on the go (when I can't find a free WiFi connection).

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    Definitely a question for Android forums as connecting a Touchpad to an android phone is no different than wifi connection to any PC. You probably have to root your phone to get free wifi tethering. All your research will need to be done in Android forums though.
    Hi guys, soon to be new Touchpad owner here. This conversation almost answers my major question about the Touchpad which is can it pair with an iPhone 3GS for bluetooth tethering? And if so how?

If not, is there any way a WebOS newblet like myself can help develop the patch?
    Quote Originally Posted by rappleby91 View Post
    Definitely a question for Android forums as connecting a Touchpad to an android phone is no different than wifi connection to any PC. You probably have to root your phone to get free wifi tethering. All your research will need to be done in Android forums though.
    I think most of our phones are rooted. Unlike our computers, our Touchpad doesn't support Ad Hoc networks. The only way we get infrastructure is to pay for tethering. Is there any way for the Touchpad to connect to an Ad Hoc network?
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Didn't feel like reading all 3 pages but I will say I have a rooted HTC Thunderbolt. When I used WirelessTether it did not work. When I used Barnicle it did not work. When I used Open Garden Tether it did work!!! No special settings or anything...
    FYI: I just wanted to note that webOS phones are not automatically tethering to the TouchPad. Most still need to use official tethering solutions that you have to pay for. There is a homebrew app called freetether that allows tethering on a webOS phone, but it allows the phone to be an infrastructure hotspot.

As far as setting up a BT tethering connection goes, I would try connecting through the BT preferences. Swipe down in the upper right corner of the screen, select Bluetooth, then scroll down just a bit and select Bluetooth Preferences. Select Add a device, then select type Other on the next screen. I get regular PCs to show up that way, so I would imagine that if it's possible, that would be the way to do it. But I haven't set up a BT tethering session that way, so I don't know if it would work.

Good luck.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I am one of the proud new owners of a shiny 32gig TouchPad via the weekend firesale

My biggest most pressing question is how tha heck can I tether my new TouchPad if I don't have a webOS phone? I have an Android phone with a super speedy unlimited Verizon 4G connection...and would LOVE (/slash/NEED) to be able to tether my Android phone to my TouchPad in order to use it on the go (when I can't find a free WiFi connection).

Thanks
    i‘ve seen you ask this in another forum and you‘ll get the same answer here. Download Odin or the Samsung flashing utility and flash a rooted Rom or recovery. Follow the guides in xda or rootzwiki. You can not tether for free on an unrooted phone. When you have root access find WiFi tether 3.1 .apk. Install it. Change your profile to “Fascinate” in the app settings. You can then tether your TP to your Charge. There is no other way.

Thanks
    I just rooted my phone and then got myself a free tethering app. Works like a charm.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I'm able to use my android Samsung Vibrant as a mobile AP so that I can use my unlimited Tmobile data 3G service with my TP whenever there is no WiFi service. So now I'm not constrained to just having internet where there is only WiFi. By the way my phone is not rooted either. So now can have access to 3G/WiFi with my TP.
    <<Threads merged>>
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    FYI: I just wanted to note that webOS phones are not automatically tethering to the TouchPad. Most still need to use official tethering solutions that you have to pay for. There is a homebrew app called freetether that allows tethering on a webOS phone, but it allows the phone to be an infrastructure hotspot.

As far as setting up a BT tethering connection goes, I would try connecting through the BT preferences. Swipe down in the upper right corner of the screen, select Bluetooth, then scroll down just a bit and select Bluetooth Preferences. Select Add a device, then select type Other on the next screen. I get regular PCs to show up that way, so I would imagine that if it's possible, that would be the way to do it. But I haven't set up a BT tethering session that way, so I don't know if it would work.

Good luck.
    Hey there -

What you suggested about "Other" types of Bluetooth tethering from within the TouchPad is exactly how I started with my Samsung Droid Charge (on Verizon)...but it wouldn't recognize it. I also tried my work phone (a Nokia N8) the same way...and that wouldn't work either. I also tried connecting my Nokia N8 via USB (via the USB host dongle that came with my N8)...but that was a no-go also.

The only way I was able to finally successfully make it all work out was by the fact that I stumbled across a $5 app in the Android Marketplace that a guy built specifically for the Samsung Charge that turns the Charge into a mobile hotspot that you can connect up to 10 devices to...and WITHOUT rooting!

I am a bit curious about what you said concerning a webOS phone and the TouchPad. I was under the impression that all you needed to do to use any webOS' data connection was to connect the webOS phone to the TouchPad via Bluetooth (there is a default "webOS phone" option after all in the Bluetooth menu on the TouchPad)...and you're good to go! So - you're saying that's not the case? Why then would then make a webOS only option for connecting a phone to the TouchPad via Bluetooth?

I've tried the "Other" option in the Bluetooth list of options...but my phone never shows up...neither of them.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Hey there -

What you suggested about "Other" types of Bluetooth tethering from within the TouchPad is exactly how I started with my Samsung Droid Charge (on Verizon)...but it wouldn't recognize it. I also tried my work phone (a Nokia N8) the same way...and that wouldn't work either. I also tried connecting my Nokia N8 via USB (via the USB host dongle that came with my N8)...but that was a no-go also.

The only way I was able to finally successfully make it all work out was by the fact that I stumbled across a $5 app in the Android Marketplace that a guy built specifically for the Samsung Charge that turns the Charge into a mobile hotspot that you can connect up to 10 devices to...and WITHOUT rooting!

I am a bit curious about what you said concerning a webOS phone and the TouchPad. I was under the impression that all you needed to do to use any webOS' data connection was to connect the webOS phone to the TouchPad via Bluetooth (there is a default "webOS phone" option after all in the Bluetooth menu on the TouchPad)...and you're good to go! So - you're saying that's not the case? Why then would then make a webOS only option for connecting a phone to the TouchPad via Bluetooth?

I've tried the "Other" option in the Bluetooth list of options...but my phone never shows up...neither of them.
    Mark: re: the Nokia N8 - does this have native Wifi HotSpot built in? I'm assuming not. If not, what about using JoikuSpot? They have a free version you can test with.
    Last edited by eszklar; 08/28/2011 at 10:44 PM.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BiGMERF View Post
    Yea I have Tmo.. they do not require you to sign up for a tethering plan.. All the others do.. I love it
    Yeah for a few more months You know they are turning into At&t they bought TM
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    MYWI works
    Quote Originally Posted by eszklar View Post
    Mark: re: the Nokia N8 - does this have native Wifi HotSpot built in? I'm assuming not. If not, what about using JoikuSpot? They have a free version you can test with.
    I have used JoikuSpot on my N8 successfully, but the N8 is limited to a 3G connection on T-Mobile - while my Samsung Charge is 4G LTE on Verizon. And 4G LTE > 3G
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast