Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Well I'm trying to figure if I can tether my TP to my BB 9700 via BT (i.e BT DUN). I've tethered my BB9700 to my Linux Netbook and Nokia N810 Internet tablet fine using BT DUN, sure its slow, but I have unlimited data. BB OS6 doesn't support WIFI hot-spot and who knows if it will be supported in OS7.

I've been looking at using a Cradlepoint PHS300 to tether my BB and run Wifi off of that via USB cable, but this would include another piece of equipment to carry.

Or I could get an Android phone from my carrier (Moblicity) and run Wifi tethering.

But I'm interested in getting the BB to connect via BT, not sure if that's possible. Any help would be appreciated.
    Used Iphone w/Bluetooth tethering worked
    Used Iphone w/WIFI tethering worked
    Used HTC w/Hotspot worked

I don't know much about ADHOC so, can't really do any testing there.
    Quote Originally Posted by eszklar View Post
    Well I'm trying to figure if I can tether my TP to my BB 9700 via BT (i.e BT DUN). I've tethered my BB9700 to my Linux Netbook and Nokia N810 Internet tablet fine using BT DUN, sure its slow, but I have unlimited data. BB OS6 doesn't support WIFI hot-spot and who knows if it will be supported in OS7.

I've been looking at using a Cradlepoint PHS300 to tether my BB and run Wifi off of that via USB cable, but this would include another piece of equipment to carry.

Or I could get an Android phone from my carrier (Moblicity) and run Wifi tethering.

But I'm interested in getting the BB to connect via BT, not sure if that's possible. Any help would be appreciated.
    Not sure about BT "tethering" with the BB...but I can tell you that USB tethering with both an Android phone and/or a Nokia phone won't work. The TouchPad thinks the phone connected to it via USB is a hard drive, and also tried to charge off the USB connected device.

If you get an Android phone and want to use it with the TouchPad, you need to make sure that Moblicity offers mobile hotspotting (and hopefully an unlimited data plan). Do you know if Moblicity offers such a plan? If Moblicity doesn't let you use your Android phone as a mobile hotspot, you can root the Android phone and use on of the mobile hotspot apps for rooted phones - or if you can get the Samsung SCH-I510 (it's called the "Samsung DROID Charge" here in the States via Verizon) - I know of an app you can use to turn the Samsung SCH-I510/Charge into a mobile hotspot without having to root the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwhitie View Post
    Used Iphone w/Bluetooth tethering worked
    Used Iphone w/WIFI tethering worked
    Used HTC w/Hotspot worked

I don't know much about ADHOC so, can't really do any testing there.
    How'd you get the Bluetooth tethering to work on the TouchPad with your iPhone? I've been under the impression that the only phones you can pair with the TouchPad via Bluetooth are webOS-based phones...
    Quote Originally Posted by markdanielmiller View Post
    How'd you get the Bluetooth tethering to work on the TouchPad with your iPhone? I've been under the impression that the only phones you can pair with the TouchPad via Bluetooth are webOS-based phones...
    I'd like to know this as well... You were pulling a data connection FROM the iphone over bluetooth right? Wifi tethering kills my evo 3d's battery on 4g, would much rather use bluetooth...
    iphone4 and touchpad tethering nicely
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadZOmbie View Post
    iphone4 and touchpad tethering nicely
    How did you tether your TouchPad to your iPhone4? What exactly did you do to get it to work?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by markdanielmiller View Post
    How did you tether your TouchPad to your iPhone4? What exactly did you do to get it to work?

Thanks!
    you either have to be signed up with a tethering plan with the carrier or be jailbroken and have mywi or another tethering app although that's violating carrier terms
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Thanks Mark for your reply. Mobilicity runs AWS @ 1700/2100 MHz. I can either buy their Nexus S or HTC Panache phones with WiFi hotspot built in and running over an unlimited data plan or get a T-Mobile phone Android phone, unlock it and use that...say an HTC Sensation 4G. So my voice/data plan is unlimited @ $35/month but phone choices are limited.

Regards.
    Connected gf's TouchPad to her HTC Incredible S. No issues.
    Start Mobile HotSpot on phone, open up Wifi Preferences on TouchPad, find HTC Mobile HotSpot name on TouchPad, connect) done.
    Quote Originally Posted by eszklar View Post
    Thanks Mark for your reply. Mobilicity runs AWS @ 1700/2100 MHz. I can either buy their Nexus S or HTC Panache phones with WiFi hotspot built in and running over an unlimited data plan or get a T-Mobile phone Android phone, unlock it and use that...say an HTC Sensation 4G. So my voice/data plan is unlimited @ $35/month but phone choices are limited.

Regards.
    Either of those are probably your best bets. As long as you can use your phone (with a fast and unlimited) data connection as a mobile hotspot...you're good to go!
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    the TP does not support ad hoc and that cause a problem for most android users for tethering since non of the apps in the market support infrastructure wifi...
    there are a few ways to get it working:
    1. if you're on a newer build of android the built in wifi tether works but it's limited to 3g
    2. if you patch to get the above built in tethering (root is required) still limited to 3g
    3. get the beta copy of wifi tethering and set the device profile plus u need the above but you then can tether with 4g.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    you either have to be signed up with a tethering plan with the carrier or be jailbroken and have mywi or another tethering app although that's violating carrier terms
    But how do you set up the bluetooth connection?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    the TP does not support ad hoc and that cause a problem for most android users for tethering since non of the apps in the market support infrastructure wifi...
    there are a few ways to get it working:
    1. if you're on a newer build of android the built in wifi tether works but it's limited to 3g
    2. if you patch to get the above built in tethering (root is required) still limited to 3g
    3. get the beta copy of wifi tethering and set the device profile plus u need the above but you then can tether with 4g.
    If you happen to have the Samsung Charge (on Verizon)...there's an app that lets you use the 4G connection to set-up a mobile hotspot for "free" ("free" = the app costs $5) with NO need to root your phone

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    sweet. Yeah MyWi or what I think is better is if you're on 4.2.1 or later use TetherMe. It unlocks the built in tethering function in iOS. So not an addon which I like more. Besides MyWi gets updated every other day it seems and I've had instances where it didn't work right.
    JQSkate likes this.
    I have a work-issued blackberry and am due for an upgrade. I can basically get any new blackberry that I want as long as it is on AT&T.

Has anyone been able to tether a BB to the TP? I did some research and it seems that no blackberry ever has been able to do a WiFi hotspot, like the Pre/+/2/Veer. That seems only to leave Bluetooth. Is there any model of BB that I can get that will let me tether without any additional hardware?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJspeed View Post
    I have a work-issued blackberry and am due for an upgrade. I can basically get any new blackberry that I want as long as it is on AT&T.

Has anyone been able to tether a BB to the TP? I did some research and it seems that no blackberry ever has been able to do a WiFi hotspot, like the Pre/+/2/Veer. That seems only to leave Bluetooth. Is there any model of BB that I can get that will let me tether without any additional hardware?
    Perhaps some of the new(est) model BlackBerry's will let you use them as a Mobile Hotspot? According to this one article, the BlackBerry Curve 9360 will have Mobile Hotspot-ing capabilities

BlackBerry Curve 9360 May Have Mobile Hotspot, But What About The Rest? | TechCrunch

Perhaps you should hold out for that model
    Quote Originally Posted by axthereo View Post
    tried it with my old Touch Pro2, and it doesn't work as FenrirWolf had said.
    WM phones creates an ad-hoc/peer to peer internet sharing wifi "hotspot"
    Works with laptops but not with Touchpad.
    man i was in the same boat what i had to do was put android on my phone.the good thing is you will have both windows and android,after you put android on there you can turn on hotspot and the touchpad will connect heres the link to ppcgeeks Simple Guide FRX07!!, 4 Easy Steps (15 min): XDANDROID TP2 DL links - PPCGeeks
    The tp can't see ad hoc connections, even when entered in manually. Is this a patchable fix?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast