Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 130
Like Tree7Likes
  1. fej180's Avatar
    Posts
    151 Posts
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
    Officially you need to pay Verizon for the tethering.
    Unofficially if you want to root your phone there is a program called wireless tether out there that bypasses verizons hotspot.
    I use Wireless Tether on my eVo to tether to the TP. It works well. But I am on Sprint.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fej180 View Post
    I use Wireless Tether on my eVo to tether to the TP. It works well. But I am on Sprint.
    Same here, using my rooted Evo to tether (on sprint 4g).
  3. #23  
    It's starting to look like I need to root my Android phone to open up the option to turn it into a "free" Mobile Hotspot...unless there is some way to get the TouchPad to recognize a non-webOS phone's bluetooth signal? << This is what I was really hoping to find here
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by markdanielmiller View Post
    It's starting to look like I need to root my Android phone to open up the option to turn it into a "free" Mobile Hotspot...unless there is some way to get the TouchPad to recognize a non-webOS phone's bluetooth signal? << This is what I was really hoping to find here
    Bluetooth is a different topic all together. No, that's currently not possible with the Bluetooth Touchpad profile. Not in its current iteration.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  5. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #25  
    u will probably need to add a rom to your android that supports tethering, if you are not giong to pay verizon for it.

    just be warned though if u do it exessivily like on a daily or weekly basis, verizon may find out and charge you for those spent data...
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by markdanielmiller View Post
    When I attempt to turn on the built-in hotspot app on my Samsung Charge (it looks like it's a Verizon hotspot app) it tells me that I need to call Verizon to sign up for the $20 or $30 per month tethering plan

    What hotspot app are you using?
    You didn't hear this from me, but you need to root your Droid Charge (if root is available for it), install wifi tether, run it as Infrastructure mode and you're good.

    Caveat..seems like VZW has been clamping down of late on (Android and iPhone) folks bypassing the official tethering plan (how they're finding out is beyond me). I'm on Sprint..
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  7. #27  
    Jesus, this thread with all the rooting (if available...) and ROM cooking reminds me so hard of why I dislike Android. Ain't nothing like just installing a hotspot app from the catalog and calling it a day.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by sracercelica View Post
    Same here, using my rooted Evo to tether (on sprint 4g).
    me three but my 3rd party employee plan actaully includes PAM.

    I still am rooted tho also..
    SCK Manager
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Jesus, this thread with all the rooting (if available...) and ROM cooking reminds me so hard of why I dislike Android. Ain't nothing like just installing a hotspot app from the catalog and calling it a day.
    You obviously gloss over the part where the OP is trying to tether for *free*??!!! His Android phone already includes an Hotspot app but ofcourse it costs $$ for a tethering plan, he doesn't want to pay for. My Nexus S 4G on Sprint has native tethering built-in in the GRJ22 firmware, no need to root, but ofcourse other phones vary in that feature in terms of using the data you're already paying for due to carrier lockdowns.

    Before "disliking Android" why not objectively know all the facts beforehand?
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Use whatever tethering app you would use to connect your laptop... with webOS phones we can still tether for free
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    You obviously gloss over the part where the OP is trying to tether for *free*??!!! His Android phone already includes an Hotspot app but ofcourse it costs $$ for a tethering plan, he doesn't want to pay for. My Nexus S 4G on Sprint has native tethering built-in in the GRJ22 firmware, no need to root, but ofcourse other phones vary in that feature in terms of using the data you're already paying for due to carrier lockdowns.

    Before "disliking Android" why not objectively know all the facts beforehand?
    @Merovingian - thanks for the support

    My main goal here was to hopefully somehow use the bluetooth connection feature in my TouchPad to connect a non-webOS phone...but it's looking like that's not a capability the TouchPad has...yet.

    If there's a homebrew app or patch or something that opens up the bluetooth connection capability of the TouchPad to a phone other than webOS phones...I'd love to hear about it!

    Thanks again
  11. gamoses's Avatar
    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by markdanielmiller View Post
    If there's a homebrew app or patch or something that opens up the bluetooth connection capability of the TouchPad to a phone other than webOS phones...I'd love to hear about it!
    me too!!
  12. jmleese's Avatar
    Posts
    159 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    #32  
    Hey Mark,

    Welcome to webOS & I hope you are enjoying your TP.

    with respect to patchs & apps, my guess is with the influx of users there will be a decent number in ur same situation, and if someone that is a webos & android user knows how to- they will! Up until know there hasn't been a huge clamor for cross platform stuff bc those that didn't love webos jumped platforms some time ago, and the rest of us webos junkies didn't see this as a priority, & either found a way to stick with webos, or begrudgingly switched & didn't try to juggle a new phone & webos since before the tp came out it was just on phones & that would be a very tiny segment of people truly using 2 phones on a daily basis.

    Webos is damn easy to program for from a lot of people's statements, so really the question is will these 2ndary webos devices coupled with a giant surge in users actually draw iOS & Android developers to contribute their talents to webos either through porting their aps ( absurdly easy for iOS ), create fresh versions that can further take advantage of webOS's spectacular platform design & integrated features, or even through homebrew contributions.

    my suggestion is if you know of a favorite app or feature that is out there & not on webos to contact the developers & encourage anyone else you know to do so also to demonstrate a viable reason to have them get to making a webos version.

    like I said, if previous homebrew support mirrors the past, there is a learning curve in getting a handle on the newest os version, and 3.0 is a very different animal I guess? But, just like when the Pre launched, after a couple months, the homebrew support & features started flooding in...
    ariker01 likes this.
  13. #33  
    Can the Touchpad connect to an ad-hoc network?
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmleese View Post
    Hey Mark,

    Welcome to webOS & I hope you are enjoying your TP.

    with respect to patchs & apps, my guess is with the influx of users there will be a decent number in ur same situation, and if someone that is a webos & android user knows how to- they will! Up until know there hasn't been a huge clamor for cross platform stuff bc those that didn't love webos jumped platforms some time ago, and the rest of us webos junkies didn't see this as a priority, & either found a way to stick with webos, or begrudgingly switched & didn't try to juggle a new phone & webos since before the tp came out it was just on phones & that would be a very tiny segment of people truly using 2 phones on a daily basis.

    Webos is damn easy to program for from a lot of people's statements, so really the question is will these 2ndary webos devices coupled with a giant surge in users actually draw iOS & Android developers to contribute their talents to webos either through porting their aps ( absurdly easy for iOS ), create fresh versions that can further take advantage of webOS's spectacular platform design & integrated features, or even through homebrew contributions.

    my suggestion is if you know of a favorite app or feature that is out there & not on webos to contact the developers & encourage anyone else you know to do so also to demonstrate a viable reason to have them get to making a webos version.

    like I said, if previous homebrew support mirrors the past, there is a learning curve in getting a handle on the newest os version, and 3.0 is a very different animal I guess? But, just like when the Pre launched, after a couple months, the homebrew support & features started flooding in...
    Brilliant! Thanks much for the warm welcome and encouraging words!

    I've read rumors that upwards of 350,000 TouchPads have been sold since last Friday (Aug 19th)...so the desire/need will most certainly grow by leaps and bounds in the weeks & months to come!

    I will most certainly pester (kindly & gently...of course) devs of my most favorite apps (Netflix is at/near the top of the list!) and hopefully get some ports headed the webOS (TouchPad optimized...of course ) way

    Cheers!
  15. hubcapjw's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    #35  
    I have an evo can you point me in the right direction to do that sracercelicia?
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by markdanielmiller View Post
    It's starting to look like I need to root my Android phone to open up the option to turn it into a "free" Mobile Hotspot...unless there is some way to get the TouchPad to recognize a non-webOS phone's bluetooth signal? << This is what I was really hoping to find here
    It is not just a matter of rooting your android phone and installing one of the many wifi tethering apps. The reason that the reported results of success vary has more to do with the phone than the ROM.

    Many of the newer generations of android based phones support infrastructure mode wifi tethering. However older phones, like my original Droid 1, are hardware limited to ad-hoc mode only.

    I was disappointed yesterday when I received my Touchpad to find out that it did not support connecting to an ad-hoc wifi network. I have gotten around this in the past with some other devices by using the bluetooth tethering option that several of the android tethering apps offer. Again, it does not appear that the Touchpad supports this method of connecting either.

    In searching for an answer I found this forum and specific thread. Does anyone know if these limitations are a result of hardware limitations or if there is a possibility of adding them. I am more then willing to assist in any fashion that I can. As you can see I am new to this community, so any pointers on the best place to advocate for ad-hoc and/or bluetooth tethering would be welcome.

    I look forward to joining the work that has been going on in the webOS community.

    -Tom Malsbury
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by malsbury View Post
    It is not just a matter of rooting your android phone and installing one of the many wifi tethering apps. The reason that the reported results of success vary has more to do with the phone than the ROM.

    Many of the newer generations of android based phones support infrastructure mode wifi tethering. However older phones, like my original Droid 1, are hardware limited to ad-hoc mode only.

    I was disappointed yesterday when I received my Touchpad to find out that it did not support connecting to an ad-hoc wifi network. I have gotten around this in the past with some other devices by using the bluetooth tethering option that several of the android tethering apps offer. Again, it does not appear that the Touchpad supports this method of connecting either.

    In searching for an answer I found this forum and specific thread. Does anyone know if these limitations are a result of hardware limitations or if there is a possibility of adding them. I am more then willing to assist in any fashion that I can. As you can see I am new to this community, so any pointers on the best place to advocate for ad-hoc and/or bluetooth tethering would be welcome.

    I look forward to joining the work that has been going on in the webOS community.

    -Tom Malsbury
    Welcome Tom!! I'm a newb here myself (just got my 32gig TouchPad last Sunday - Aug 21st)

    Which Android phone do you have?
    Last edited by markdanielmiller; 08/25/2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Welcome
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by markdanielmiller View Post
    Welcome Tom!! I'm a newb here myself (just got my 32gig TouchPad last Sunday - Aug 21st)

    Which Android phone do you have?
    he said he has the droid 1.
    SCK Manager
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by TMed_ATL View Post
    he said he has the droid 1.
    ahh - my bad. I read his post as saying his older phone was the Droid 1...and thought he meant he was currently using a newer Android phone.

    If anyone has the Samsung Charge...and wants to use it as a mobile hotspot without having to root it...send me a PM. I've got a solid solution for ya
  20. resteasy's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #40  
    would be great if anyone could confirm tethering with an iphone and the method used (native tethering, mywi, pdanet)
    I get my touchpad probably monday or tuesday so can't try it myself.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions