Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Jman1313's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
       #1  
    Touchpad web browsing - I've recently discovered some interesting things. Since getting my TP on Saturday, I've seen here and experienced wildly varying things regarding web browsing speed. Some people complain loudly that browsing the web is unbearably slow. Others report that it's faster than the iPad.

    I was firmly in the unbearably slow browsing category...at home. Now, my home internet connection is pretty fast...15 Mbps down, 2 Mbps up. On my iPhone, laptops, Apple TV, etc, wi-fi is similarly fast. On the touchpad, it is dog slow. Downloads are fine, reaching good peak download speeds, but web browsing is painful. I just thought the tablet rendered pages slowly, and that those who were saying it was faster than an iPad were smoking something...it was significantly slower than my iPhone in web browsing.

    Then I came to work with my Touchpad. Now, normally, I have no need to browse the web at work on a touchpad...if I need to look something up online, I'll use my computer. That said, on lunch today I booted the web browser while showing some people the tablet. Holy cow...blazing fast! Pages were loading super quick, with essentially no delay. The thing is, the internet service at work is significantly slower than at home. It peaks at around 6Mbps, and with all the computers at work, it generally only can get about 2 Mbps when you need it. But...my touchpad was flying on it. The difference? My router at home is an 802.11b/g capable. My work one is 802.11n. I'm guessing that the touchpad doesn't fare so well on the older wi-fi signals, but is optimized for n. Can other users confirm/deny? I think I'm going to pick up an 802.11n router today...my old one has had some other issues anyway (reboots required every two or three days, etc).
  2. ggendel's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #2  
    The TouchPad is pretty finicky about it's Wifi connection. Some routers/access points work great, others really badly. One common thread is that you should be using EAS encryption (ala WPA2), not TKIP. The TouchPad has hardware acceleration for the former, but not the latter. If your router does auto sense for encryption, set it to only do EAS.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    geekpeter and DizWhiz like this.
  3. #3  
    One common thread is that you should be using EAS encryption (ala WPA2), not TKIP. The TouchPad has hardware acceleration for the former, but not the latter. If your router does auto sense for encryption, set it to only do EAS.
    Any word on how it works with unsecured wifi? I have a D Link router. (I live on a farm, 1/2 mile from the highway, 1/4 mile to nearest neighbor, I will notice a hacker coming down my driveway to get in wifi range )
  4. Jman1313's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
       #4  
    Thanks ggendel! Switching my security mode has fixed my web browsing speed at home! Awesome....This should be a part of the 'new TP users' thread.
    Last edited by Jman13; 08/23/2011 at 09:59 PM.
  5. #5  
    Wow! My TouchPad had been suffering from sluggish internet, so much so that at times the page wouldn't even load and instead I would get an error. Most notably, it caused a lot of errors trying to navigate the App Catalog. I was beginning to think my TouchPad was defective.

    However switching my WiFi security from WEP to WPA2 has significantly speed up page loading, and now there are no more errors or trouble browsing for apps.

    Thanks!
  6. hxh103's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by greyMACHINE View Post
    Wow! My TouchPad had been suffering from sluggish internet, so much so that at times the page wouldn't even load and instead I would get an error. Most notably, it caused a lot of errors trying to navigate the App Catalog. I was beginning to think my TouchPad was defective.

    However switching my WiFi security from WEP to WPA2 has significantly speed up page loading, and now there are no more errors or trouble browsing for apps.

    Thanks!
    lol, probably should not be using WEP anyways glad it worked for ya

    My browser has been pretty fast. The only time there is a slow down on the device is when I was trying to update it, but I think thats just bc of the influx of users trying to download it probably
  7. Solo118's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    The TouchPad is pretty finicky about it's Wifi connection. Some routers/access points work great, others really badly. One common thread is that you should be using EAS encryption (ala WPA2), not TKIP. The TouchPad has hardware acceleration for the former, but not the latter. If your router does auto sense for encryption, set it to only do EAS.
    Awesome tip! I will try tonight when I get home because its been really slow thus far. I have a Netgear router thats fairly new!
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cjmdjm View Post
    Any word on how it works with unsecured wifi? I have a D Link router. (I live on a farm, 1/2 mile from the highway, 1/4 mile to nearest neighbor, I will notice a hacker coming down my driveway to get in wifi range )
    your shooting range is longer than wifi's?
  9. SR1
    SR1 is offline
    SR1's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    #9  
    generally my touchpad is faster than my MacBook pro. However, I think that is mainly due to the location of the router and the signal trouble my laptop faces with its aluminum body.
  10. Solo118's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    The TouchPad is pretty finicky about it's Wifi connection. Some routers/access points work great, others really badly. One common thread is that you should be using EAS encryption (ala WPA2), not TKIP. The TouchPad has hardware acceleration for the former, but not the latter. If your router does auto sense for encryption, set it to only do EAS.
    Sorry but I cant figure out how to change to WPA2.... Is this done on the Touchpad? If so then how do I do it?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
    Sorry but I cant figure out how to change to WPA2.... Is this done on the Touchpad? If so then how do I do it?
    You have to change the settings in your router. Log in to your router using the router's default ip address (probably 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1), go to wireless settings, security, and then change the security to WPA2-personal-AES only (the router might just list WPA-personal. If you don't see WPA2 and WPA, go with WPA). You will need to create a password. Once you connect to the wifi network using your touchpad, it should auto-detect the security (encryption) type and ask you to enter the password that you created.
  12. Solo118's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #12  
    Excellent, thanks so much. Will this also speed up other computers in the house? And do they need this new password (I will most likely use the original password)
  13. #13  
    Can you guys with the new router setting try to load Cnet.com and Engadget.com pages? There is another thread going on TP's browsing speed. I'd like to compare the time to load these pages with the new router setting to see if there is real gain in speed.

    Thanks!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cjmdjm View Post
    Any word on how it works with unsecured wifi? I have a D Link router. (I live on a farm, 1/2 mile from the highway, 1/4 mile to nearest neighbor, I will notice a hacker coming down my driveway to get in wifi range )
    I'm unsecured. No issues works great.
  15. alan sh's Avatar
    Posts
    766 Posts
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    #15  
    I have 2 wireless routers next to each other. I set one to WEP (channel 10) and the other to WPA (AES channel 3/7) and then configured my TouchPad for each one.

    My TouchPad is running warthog at 1.7 and has a lot of patches applied. My link to the outside world is 100mbs up and 10mbs down.


    I ran netspeed on each network. On the WPA link, I was getting around 12mbyes/sec for the 10mb test. On the wep link, I was getting around 18mbytes/sec.

    I didn't notice any difference I browsing speed.

    Alan
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by hxh103 View Post
    lol, probably should not be using WEP anyways glad it worked for ya

    My browser has been pretty fast. The only time there is a slow down on the device is when I was trying to update it, but I think thats just bc of the influx of users trying to download it probably
    Ahem. At this point WEP is practically unsecured.
    So it's a good thing you got your connection secured while looking for speedier access. :-)

    Anybody else reading this and still using WEP - switch to WPA2 *now* if you care at all about securing your wifi. If your router is so old that it supports only WEP - get a new one - yours is ancient and useless.
    It's been years that anybody with a laptop and the right software could get through WEP in reasonable time.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  17. alan sh's Avatar
    Posts
    766 Posts
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    #17  
    Nice idea - but you have to be in range. I live in a reasonably remote and quiet location. I think I'd notice if someone was sitting in a car nearby for hours on end.

    If WEP is faster, then I'll stick with it.

    Alan
  18. #18  
    I'm running a Netgear WNDR 3700 and while I didn't think browsing was "that" slow it is certainly slower than any other device on my network. One other thing I do have a problem with is that streaming video via Splashtop always stutters a bit. I read in another thread that someone with the exact same router had the same Splashtop problem and now I'm wondering if these security settings might fix it.

    Can someone please suggest how I might want to change my settings? My options are a bit different than described above:

    The router is b/g/n compatible and provides two networks (2.4Ghz b/g/n and 5Ghz a/n)

    The security options are:

    2.4Ghz b/g/n:

    None
    WPA2-PSK [AES]
    WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] (Current Setting)
    WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

    5Ghz a/n:

    None
    WPA2-PSK [AES] (Current Setting)
    WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]
    WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

    I have the Touchpad connected to the 2.4Ghz b/g/n network because it generally has better range. I'm not sure why I have the current settings but based on this thread I'm thinking I should change the 2.4 to just WPA2-PSK [AES] or should both be WPA/WPA2 Enterprise?

    Thanks
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Ahem. At this point WEP is practically unsecured.
    So it's a good thing you got your connection secured while looking for speedier access. :-)

    Anybody else reading this and still using WEP - switch to WPA2 *now* if you care at all about securing your wifi. If your router is so old that it supports only WEP - get a new one - yours is ancient and useless.
    It's been years that anybody with a laptop and the right software could get through WEP in reasonable time.
    So what you are saying is when the RIAA/MPAA is banging down the door your first step should be to change from WPA2 to WEP. "I was hacked i cross my heart and hope you die".
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman13 View Post
    Thanks ggendel! Switching my security mode has fixed my web browsing speed at home! Awesome....This should be a part of the 'new TP users' thread.
    I went ahead and added this right up top front and center to my "new touchpad" thread. Thanks for suggesting it .
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

    Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions