Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    The normal behavior when you mute the TouchPad is to confirm with a "mute symbol" and a buzz. Mine will do that for a while, but at some point when I mute it, instead of buzzing it will ring like an old-school telephone. Needless to say, this is embarassing in a meeting. A restart usually restores the normal behavior.

Butler had me erase apps and data, but that didn't fix it. Then they had me Doctor it, but that didn't fix it either. Has this happened to anyone else? Any thoughts on it?
    Mine does this all the time and the reboot does not always fix it. I've Doctored, erased, secure erased, and Doctored again but I still ahve the same issue.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Butler was out of ideas, and had me send it in to them for service. We'll see what happens. I'll post results.
    I've had this happen before too. I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software thing.
    A friend of mine has one that does it all the time. In his case, I thought it was a bad vibrator. However, mine did it the other night and it was fixed by rebooting. So, either mine has an intermittent problem with the vibrator or it is a software problem (or both).
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I think I found a clue about this after retiring my Pre - for a Pre 2. The normal behavior for the Pre 2 is to make the very same ringing sound instead of vibrating *when it is on the Touchstone*. Take if off the Touchstone and normal vibration behavior is restored.

This makes sense, for you wouldn't perceive a vibration if it's on the Touchstone, so a muted ring is an appropriate substitute.

I think perhaps the ringing we are hearing instead of vibration is the behavior that's only supposed to be happening while the TP is on the Touchstone.
    US Robotics Palm Pilot Pro>Upgrade to Palm Pilot III> Palm V>Upgraded to 8MB>Tungsten T>Treo 650>Treo 755p>Palm Pre>Touchpad & Pre 2
    I've noticed this as well. After booting the TP, but before putting it on a Touchstone, it'll vibrate as expected when muted. After putting it on a touchstone, however, it seems to only ever make the touchstone mute ring, even after taking it off the charger (until reboot).