Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1.    #1  
    Lenovo just announced their "Yet Another Android Tablet" this morning for a base price of $500. Almost all of the comments were slamming them for the price given HP's fire sale this weekend. I wonder if HP just planted a price point in the minds of consumers. Apple has been and always will be seen as a luxury brand. So tablets NOT from Apple should always be priced less...period. I think the TouchPad would have been a bigger success if HP would have done two things:
    1. Removed the Touchstone (to lower cost and thickness)
    2. Sold at just over cost.

HP could have made their money on app sales; the same business plan Apple follows.

I know; hindsight is 20/20.
    bigedschukar, NoICon and Rnp like this.
    I love the Touchstone. However I do agree with you on HP destroying tablet prices. It will only be temporary. In about a year everyone who bought a Touchpad will be trying to find the next best thing. That's why I mentioned in another thread that webOS has one year before it completely disappears in mindshare unless HP continues to support it. HP needs to find a licensee quickly. That licensee needs to release a webOS phone first with touch to share compatibility with the Touchpad. After a year they can release a low cost webOS tablet ($300 price range).
    irwinr12 likes this.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    100% true, all the tablets out are overpriced including the iPad.
    MercuryCrest, Premium1 and Rnp like this.
    From consumer view, I'm happy that tablet market destroyed because of Touchpad firesale. For me up till now tablet still can't replace laptop, from OS (window/linux/Mac) to Hardware. Even the hardware can be pretty close. So Tablet price should lower then what now on market. Every single tablet out there still priced base on iPad price tag. For me, iPad price tag still too expensive, and need to go down far more. And now it is the start point. If non-ipad price dragged down because of TouchPad firesale, then iPad price will be the most expensive tablet on market. Soon or later price drop will give effect to iPad market too.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    I think it's kinda sad what HP has done here. It will have a ripple effect well past this Christmas Season. People now have a price point they are willing to pay for a tablet, yet it is not a realistic one. No one can MAKE a table that cheap - especially one as good as the TP. That's why this is such a good deal - not because it's a $99 tablet, but because it's a $500 tablet posing as a $99 tablet.

Also, I can't imagine why all of these companies would want to sell these things at $99. I tried to order from CDW yesterday - they had a small window where they were selling these things (at a huge loss to begin with), yet it entirely took over their entire day's operations, and most likely prevented many regular sales for the day due to all the disruption the firesale caused. Their site was flaky for hours after - their customer support was slammed for hours after from people contacting them to ask/complain "do you have any Touchpads" or "What do you mean my order was cancelled! How dare you keep me from getting one of these!" I heard a report of someone who spoke to CDW customer support that they have thousands of orders that were taken that they need to cancel, and are having to contact each one - imagine what manpower (and operating costs) that would take. And that is just one situation of many.

Why exactly would these companies want to deal with that? I'll bet in many cases these companies lost more money dealing with the issues the fire sale is causing than they are making selling these off. They should have just given them to their employees as early Christmas bonuses or something.

What's worse is they had no choice - HP set the price, and they had to follow. I'll bet a lot of retailers and distributers are not happy with HP right now...
    I think people understand they are getting a bargain on a tablet with an OS on life support. If people are looking for a tablet, and expect one to be $99 with those sort of specs, they will eventually cave in and pay full price. I bet a majority of the people who bought the Touchpads weren't even in the market for a tablet, just succumbed to the American consumer mentality that allows a show about cutting coupons to be a success.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Lenovo just announced their "Yet Another Android Tablet" this morning for a base price of $500. Almost all of the comments were slamming them for the price given HP's fire sale this weekend. I wonder if HP just planted a price point in the minds of consumers. Apple has been and always will be seen as a luxury brand. So tablets NOT from Apple should always be priced less...period. I think the TouchPad would have been a bigger success if HP would have done two things:
    1. Removed the Touchstone (to lower cost and thickness)
    2. Sold at just over cost.

HP could have made their money on app sales; the same business plan Apple follows.

I know; hindsight is 20/20.
    Apple makes a ton of money on hardware sales alone. Apps sales is just the icing on the cake for them.

Selling at just over cost puts it at around $350, they tried $399 and that didn't work all to well. And if consumers want a $99 tablet, they better expect a $99 product - crap single core, cheap resistive screen, etc. Basically the $150-200 tablets that are already on the market.

Meanwhile Apple will still be selling $500 tablets 'cause people see a $500 product worth buying.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    I think people understand they are getting a bargain on a tablet with an OS on life support. If people are looking for a tablet, and expect one to be $99 with those sort of specs, they will eventually cave in and pay full price. I bet a majority of the people who bought the Touchpads weren't even in the market for a tablet, just succumbed to the American consumer mentality that allows a show about cutting coupons to be a success.
    Agreed. I think that a vast majority of the people that bought these don't care about webOS and don't care about being able to put Android on it. They wanted a tablet of some sort and saw a great deal.

My cap was 299 for a tablet. More than that, I'd rather get a laptop.
    irwinr12 likes this.
    Just looking at E-bay, the Touchpads are going for a minimum of $280 (including shipping). Most are going higher than that.

It's interesting that HP's decision to close out the line resulted in people paying close the original price drop of $399. Was it a plan, or is it just what it took to wake people up to what a great tool the Touchpad is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Just looking at E-bay, the Touchpads are going for a minimum of $280 (including shipping). Most are going higher than that.

It's interesting that HP's decision to close out the line resulted in people paying close the original price drop of $399. Was it a plan, or is it just what it took to wake people up to what a great tool the Touchpad is?
    The reviews weren't good and people didn't think it was worth $399. @ $99 it doesn't really matter.
    First the Nook Color, and now, if we can port Android onto it, the TouchPad. The Touchpads have to get out of resellers' hands and into consumers, though.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post

My cap was 299 for a tablet. More than that, I'd rather get a laptop.
    This reason alone makes me believe that Microsoft is the only one with a shot to take down Apple.

HP-Palm/Samsung/HTC/etc don't have a shot to kill Apple's niche market. But I can see MS coming out with $399 Transformer like netbook/tablet hybrids that can acts as WP like tablets and full blown windows machines. The netbook market used to be hot, the Windows 8 tablet market I bet will be way hotter.
    Last edited by transient; 08/23/2011 at 09:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by r-nice View Post
    100% true, all the tablets out are overpriced including the iPad.
    If a 10", 250GB Asus netbook is $229 at Best Buy how can a tablet be more? The netbook has a keyboard, USB, SD, etc.

Asus was selling all the Transformers it could make at $399. According to DIgitime Asus expected to need to drop to $349 by August 1, but the demand was so great that there was no point.

I bet we see the Transformer at $349 or even $299 soon now. Acer will have to follow with the Iconia.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Still waiting for the Transfromer to drop in price.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    If a 10", 250GB Asus netbook is $229 at Best Buy how can a tablet be more? The netbook has a keyboard, USB, SD, etc.

Asus was selling all the Transformers it could make at $399. According to DIgitime Asus expected to need to drop to $349 by August 1, but the demand was so great that there was no point.

I bet we see the Transformer at $349 or even $299 soon now. Acer will have to follow with the Iconia.
    It's got a better screen and is more compact, but other then that, I don't know. It's a good question.

I read that a tear down showed that the TP would have cost around 300 to manufacture, though.
    Netbooks are cheaper to make than tablets, therefore they sell for less.
    very good points.

I for one, was shopping around between Asus transformer and Galaxy Pad 10.1 right before the news broke. Now instead of buying either, I have 2 Touchpads on order. If i receive at least 1, i will be out of the market for Android tablet until the next generation appears.

This whole sell-off has got to be painful for google and android tablets manufacturers.
    Quote Originally Posted by transient View Post
    This reason alone makes me believe that Microsoft is the only one with a shot to take down Apple.

HP-Palm/Samsung/HTC/etc don't have a shot to kill Apple's niche market.
    HP has $17 Billion in cash on hand. If they took Microsoft's route in the game console area and simply subsidized the cost of the device for a while, they'd essentially just BUY market share.

They could have done this intentionally. They just did it on accident.

I really hope some of the big shot business guys are scratching their heads and thinking, "well, maybe we can do something with this..."

This firesale liquidation of Touchpads has not been mirrored on the PC side

My (no business experience) opinion: the future is mobile. If you're not in mobile, you gotta be in infrastructure to support mobile. I can understand the idea of getting out of PCs, but HP is going to have to move hard to get fully into infrastructure. And sorry, printers are so Windows2000: capable enough to get the job done but really not that enjoyable to use.
    Casio Databank watch, Casio BOSS, Sharp Wizard OZ-8600 256k, HP Palmtop 360LX, Palm IIIc, Motorola StarTac, Palm Treo 650, Palm Pre, Palm Pre2, HP Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyS View Post
    HP has $17 Billion in cash on hand. If they took Microsoft's route in the game console area and simply subsidized the cost of the device for a while, they'd essentially just BUY market share.

They could have done this intentionally. They just did it on accident.

I really hope some of the big shot business guys are scratching their heads and thinking, "well, maybe we can do something with this..."

This firesale liquidation of Touchpads has not been mirrored on the PC side

My (no business experience) opinion: the future is mobile. If you're not in mobile, you gotta be in infrastructure to support mobile. I can understand the idea of getting out of PCs, but HP is going to have to move hard to get fully into infrastructure. And sorry, printers are so Windows2000: capable enough to get the job done but really not that enjoyable to use.
    This is such a dumb view. HP can dress up in a santa outfit and just give them away for free. Everyone would want one then but that doesn't make it a smart business move.

The console analogies just don't work. A console is just a $300-400 paperweight without any games. So of course MS/Sony will bet the house that they'd buy a couple of $60 games over the 5+ year life span of a console (compared to the 1-2 year lifespan of mobile devices). This isn't the same case with tablets. If HP loses even $100 on firesales (and they aren't, they're losing $200+), they have to make that up through up through hundreds of $1-2 App sales PER USER. HP only gets a percentage of that so you got to double the loses. How many people will throw down $200-$400 in apps within a 1-2 year period, maybe the top % but we're talking the budget hunting market so it'd be even less. And thats just to break even, forget about profits.

Thats without saying that most of the profits come from hardware sales and HP would be making none.

The big shot business guys aren't scratching their heads, their shaking them.
    phanste likes this.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast