Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by r-nice View Post
    100% true, all the tablets out are overpriced including the iPad.
    Based on what metric? On the "I think it costs too much metric"? Guess what - your opinion is kind of meaningless to everyone but you. There are 2 ways to determine how much something is worth:

1) How much the item actually costs to produce, distribute, market, support, etc. By these metrics, nearly all tablets are cheap. You'd be hard pressed to find a price breakdown of any well-made tablet like the iPad, Xoom, TP, etc., that comes with a BOM (bill of materials) cost under $300. When you consider the other costs associated with the tablets, the starting price of $500 is damned good.*

2) How much the market will bear; meaning how much someone will pay for the item. By this metric, the only tablet that isn't overpriced is the iPad. They sell every one they can make** and all the other tablets are stagnant. What you saw with the TP is that the fire sale price was well below what it should have been. HP left at least $100/tablet on the table with this one.

I know that many of you are not in business (I'm not either) or you're too young to realize that there are other important factors to consider in pricing and purchasing decisions than your own inflated sense of importance, but it's got to be said.

* When the rumors of the iPad were first circulating, people were guessing it'd be $800-1000. When Jobs announced the price, there was quite a surprised reaction. To this day, competitors are saying they can't match the price.

** Tim Cook, Apple's COO, said this during their last earnings call. You might discount the statement because it came from an Apple exec, but it was given during a financial statement, meaning exaggerating the truth to sound good would have legal ramifications. In other words, it was the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by transient View Post
    This reason alone makes me believe that Microsoft is the only one with a shot to take down Apple.

HP-Palm/Samsung/HTC/etc don't have a shot to kill Apple's niche market. But I can see MS coming out with $399 Transformer like netbook/tablet hybrids that can acts as WP like tablets and full blown windows machines. The netbook market used to be hot, the Windows 8 tablet market I bet will be way hotter.
    Apple's market it not a niche any more. How can you call 80-90% of the market a niche?

And if you think Apple would let anyone undercut them on price, you're crazy. They've got $80 billion in cash just in case. No one can out do them in this market. Not for a very long time. They are going around Asia buying vast supplies of materials and manufacturing facilities to ensure that they've got the best prices.

The tablet market, on paper, isn't decided yet, but it's all but over. Apple could buy all their competitors with cash money. Remember that.
    I would like to comment on this thread because I am one of those people that entered the WebOS fold because of the firesale. I was in the market for a tablet before I bought a TP. I have been an Android user for the past year and my wife is an Apple Fan. I have a Zune, which I still use and have been against ITunes for quite a while but with that said, I found it hard to even think about any other tablet than the IPad. Sadly the market on smartphones and tablets has come down to apps and ITunes is the king. I do not think that if people gave a damn about specs that the Iphone would have the sales that it does. People want Apps and ease of use.

I am an Android fan boy and I still could not find a reason to buy a non-IPad tablet. I feel that the learning curve on any Android device is too much for many to put up with and the lack of QUALITY apps puts any of them at a disadvantage.

I looked at the TP while shopping for a tablet, I liked the ease of use but did not know anything about the OS. If I would have been more informed weeks ago about the terrible app store it would have been even further down my list. The lack of apps is what makes this tablet a loser in the "all the other" category, not the hardware or the OS.
    I bought my first TP and played with it all night Saturday and immediately loved it. It has the ease of use that IOS has but the look is not that of IOS. I hate the look of the lines of icons without any variety. I loved it so much that when I heard BB was selling it the next morning, I bought a second 32GB for my wife so she did not steal mine.

I did not buy this to port Android onto, I wanted a quality tablet that had flash support. If the App store does not get better I do not think I will have a choice but to change when Android becomes available. I thought Android was lacking, this OS does not even seem to be trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdalek View Post
    I would like to comment on this thread because I am one of those people that entered the WebOS fold because of the firesale. I was in the market for a tablet before I bought a TP. I have been an Android user for the past year and my wife is an Apple Fan. I have a Zune, which I still use and have been against ITunes for quite a while but with that said, I found it hard to even think about any other tablet than the IPad. Sadly the market on smartphones and tablets has come down to apps and ITunes is the king. I do not think that if people gave a damn about specs that the Iphone would have the sales that it does. People want Apps and ease of use.

I am an Android fan boy and I still could not find a reason to buy a non-IPad tablet. I feel that the learning curve on any Android device is too much for many to put up with and the lack of QUALITY apps puts any of them at a disadvantage.

I looked at the TP while shopping for a tablet, I liked the ease of use but did not know anything about the OS. If I would have been more informed weeks ago about the terrible app store it would have been even further down my list. The lack of apps is what makes this tablet a loser in the "all the other" category, not the hardware or the OS.
    I bought my first TP and played with it all night Saturday and immediately loved it. It has the ease of use that IOS has but the look is not that of IOS. I hate the look of the lines of icons without any variety. I loved it so much that when I heard BB was selling it the next morning, I bought a second 32GB for my wife so she did not steal mine.

I did not buy this to port Android onto, I wanted a quality tablet that had flash support. If the App store does not get better I do not think I will have a choice but to change when Android becomes available. I thought Android was lacking, this OS does not even seem to be trying.
    Glad you see the value in the OS. Most of the things someone needs to do with it are available from the start (QuickOffice with Doc/Excel editing is supposed to come this week). That said, if there are specific types of apps you want to see, there are some threads here (including this one) where people are looking for ideas. Generally, I have found that there are only a few types of apps not readily available. The limited catalog is more in terms of variety of the same types of apps. Games is really the one area where a ton of variety is great to have, and webOS needs more.

What I've personally seen is that a significant chunk of the non-game apps on iOS are just mini-website apps, mostly done to make up for iOS' lack of Flash support. The TouchPad's broswer signals itself as a desktop browser to sites, which is why sites like Hulu.com work fine on it. But make sure the developers we have floating around know what it is you need and hopefully, with all of the new users, we'll start seeing a lot of these show up.
    There is too much heated argument going on in this thread. PreCentral is not a debate club. We are cleaning up the debate post now. But if the arguing does not stop, this thread will be closed.
  6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by torifile View Post
    Apple's market it not a niche any more. How can you call 80-90% of the market a niche?

And if you think Apple would let anyone undercut them on price, you're crazy. They've got $80 billion in cash just in case. No one can out do them in this market. Not for a very long time. They are going around Asia buying vast supplies of materials and manufacturing facilities to ensure that they've got the best prices.

The tablet market, on paper, isn't decided yet, but it's all but over. Apple could buy all their competitors with cash money. Remember that.
    They are saying the tablet market is a niche market evidenced by the fact one company holds 90% of it. In any other industry, this would be called a monopoly and Apple would be dragged before congress. But since only about 10% of consumers even own a tablet of ANY kind, it's still a niche industry.

Apple can only buy their competitors to a point. Anti-trust regulations prevent them from buying everyone out. There has to be a viable alternative.
    I do agree that the types of apps are represented. I would like a couple recommendations.

How do I access my Overdrive.com PDF books?

What is the best option for putting movies and tv shows on the TP for offline viewing besides the HP movie store?

Is there a keyboard that is predictive like Swiftkey X on Android?

I think that I will just have to get used to not having all of the options for each type of app that Android and IOS has. The amount does not necessarily mean quality.

I am trying to get to know this OS. This site is a great resource.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345