Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by r-nice View Post
    100% true, all the tablets out are overpriced including the iPad.
    Whether the price is right or not is only determined by what the consumer is willing to pay for them.

The iPad and iPad2 were clearly priced right, because no one has sold any where near as many tablets as they have.

Rumors and some analysts supply chain research have it that the TP actually did sell fairly well out of the gate at the higher prices, but, that would conflict with LA's assertion that it "failed" in the market along with the rest of WebOS devices released this year.

So, it would be fair to say that an Apple tablet is priced appropriately, but everythng other tablet isn't, given the iPadx sales.

Except for, now, the TP, which is proving that the current price is "right" for consumers.

Now, the real question is: would $200/250 have been as successful?

How's about $350/$300?

We'll never know, will we?

What we DO know is this, for a fact:

The TP likely affected a small # of iPad sales,% wise, but, more likely significantly affected Playbook, Galaxy Tab, Asus Transformer, and any other Android tablet sales number this weekend, because, they are all NOT an iPad, and they are in a separate market.

Yep, that's right.

Its been said many a times, but I said it first weeks ago.

There's an APPLE market, and then there's everything else; we can argue over why, but, the numbers prove it to be true, for now.

The TP, right now, is king of the "everything else tablet" market, and, most, if not predomintantly all of those who bought one won't be buying a more expensive Android or RIMM tablet afterwards I speculate; WebOS, once experienced real time, is THAT good, I believe.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

torifile likes this.
    Seems like there'd have to be a non-iPad tablet market for HP to destroy it... I dunno.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    The TP likely affected a small # of iPad sales,% wise, but, more likely significantly affected Playbook, Galaxy Tab, Asus Transformer, and any other Android tablet sales number this weekend, because, they are all NOT an iPad, and they are in a separate market.
    Thing is, those were likely not true potential tablet buyers, just bargain shoppers jumping on an incredible deal, so the Playbook and Android tablets did not really lose any customers. There will soon be the realization that they've bought into a dead platform, and they will eventually want to move up to something that has a future.

Or they could be potential tablet buyers who bought a cheap one just to see if a tablet was something they wanted/needed. This is what I did with the Viewsonic G-Tab before ditched its limitations and quirks and moved up to a Transformer.

So if anything, this will benefit the Honeycomb tablet market in the long run.
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    The fire sale didn't affect the sales of the PlayBook, iPad or any Android tablet. The people that got a 99.00 or 149.00 TouchPad weren't ever going to drop 399.00 - 499.00 on any tablet. They would have bought one by now if they were the case.

I bought an Asus Transformer last month, lowest cost decent Android tablet. I bough the iPad 1 when the price dropped 100 bucks when the iPad2 came out. I got the TouchPad with the 100.00 off Staples coupon. So apparently my target price is 399.00.
    The TP, right now, is king of the "everything else tablet" market, and, most, if not predomintantly all of those who bought one won't be buying a more expensive Android or RIMM tablet afterwards I speculate; WebOS, once experienced real time, is THAT good, I believe.
    No way. The TP is the king of it's own market - the $99 fire sale market. When it competed head to with the Android tabs @ the $399 price tage, it did nothing of note.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Thing is, those were likely not true potential tablet buyers, just bargain shoppers jumping on an incredible deal, so the Playbook and Android tablets did not really lose any customers. There will soon be the realization that they've bought into a dead platform, and they will eventually want to move up to something that has a future.

Or they could be potential tablet buyers who bought a cheap one just to see if a tablet was something they wanted/needed. This is what I did with the Viewsonic G-Tab before ditched its limitations and quirks and moved up to a Transformer.

So if anything, this will benefit the Honeycomb tablet market in the long run.
    If they are, as you propose, "cheap just to see if a tablet is something they wanted", they won't be buying anything else - "cheap" means just that - spend as little as possible.. Android and Rimm suffer.

But, your assumption that they arent true potential tablet buyers is wrong, IMO.

They are, - they just did, and they did because of the price, and again, Android and Rimm didnt get them, WebOS did.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    If they are, as you propose, "cheap just to see if a tablet is something they wanted", they won't be buying anything else - "cheap" means just that - spend as little as possible.. Android and Rimm suffer.

But, your assumption that they arent true potential tablet buyers is wrong, IMO.

They are, - they just did, and they did because of the price, and again, Android and Rimm didnt get them, WebOS did.

That's @jrstinkfish point. Android and RIM weren't going to get them anyways. They would have never spent that much on a tablet. So consumers buying a 99.00 TP isn't taking anything away from Apple and all the Android tablets. If not for the fire sale they would have went about their lives tabletless (new word).
    Android and RIM were never going to get them. I'd go as far to say that they didn't want them -- no one wants a customer who thinks something that costs $300+ to make should sell for $99. WebOS can have them because it's a dying platform, but they will eventually, if their tablet experience is nice, move up, and that benefits the other tablet makers.

WebOS will experience a temporary spike with the 200,000 or so new owners (the idea that HP produced millions of Touchpads is ludicrous), but they will feel stifled by, I dunno, things like not being able to play Words with Friends with their iPhone/iPad/Android having friends

I would buy one for $99 for sure though, but it'd be more a curiosity to me that I'd eventually pass on to someone like my mother than my main tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by transient View Post
    No way. The TP is the king of it's own market - the $99 fire sale market. When it competed head to with the Android tabs @ the $399 price tage, it did nothing of note.
    Im sorry, but I believe, strongly, that you are dead wrong.

The TP's numbers recently dented the "rest of the tablet" market, severely, and that was my point above.

The TP's WebOS OS is superior to Android and, hard as QNX tries, Playbook, too, but, now, its 1/3 = 1/2 the price of them.

Whomever bought on likely won't be buying anything else aftwards.

Small loss for Apple, HUGE loss for everyone else.

WebOS will experience a temporary spike with the 200,000 or so new owners (the idea that HP produced millions of Touchpads is ludicrous), but they will feel stifled by, I dunno, things like not being able to play Words with Friends with their iPhone/iPad/Android having friends

The quantity they produced for the launch is probably 1million. I'd say that this weekend's firesale brought them close to that number.

Im sorry, but I believe, strongly, that you are dead wrong.

The TP's numbers recently dented the "rest of the tablet" market, severely, and that was my point above.

The TP's WebOS OS is superior to Android and, hard as QNX tries, Playbook, too, but, now, its 1/3 = 1/2 the price of them.

Whomever bought on likely won't be buying anything else aftwards.

Small loss for Apple, HUGE loss for everyone else.
    Superiority of software is subjective. Either way, it's game over for the TP after the remaining small inventory is gone. Android tablets aren't flying off the shelves like iPads but the XOOMs/Galaxy Tabs/Transformers sold about as well the TP (which is not saying much, but again, that just shows that people weren't jumping to the TP over Android tabs). The unrealistic $99 price created a new market.
    Superiority of software is subjective. Either way, it's game over for the TP after the remaining small inventory is gone. Android tablets aren't flying off the shelves like iPads but the XOOMs/Galaxy Tabs/Transformers sold about as well the TP (which is not saying much, but again, that just shows that people weren't jumping to the TP over Android tabs).
    A consumer that turns into a buyer is a win for the ecosystem.

If WebOS does happen to live on after this fiasco, Android and RIMM will suffer from this fire sale, significantly, due to WebOS's superior OS.

Its been proven time and time again that most who expereince it, don't want anything else after it.

We'll see, won't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    It's interesting that HP's decision to close out the line resulted in people paying close the original price drop of $399. Was it a plan, or is it just what it took to wake people up to what a great tool the Touchpad is?
    I'll tell you that I have friends that called me the last few days just to tell me that they finally tried out WebOS on someone's new TP and now they get what I was telling them for years !!!

Funny how people are sometimes really, it seems now that there is some hype around WebOS people want it ?!?
    A consumer that turns into a buyer is a win for the ecosystem.
    A consumer that doesn't make any money (and in this case loses money) for the business that supports the ecosystem, isn't a win, it's a loss.
    The quantity they produced for the launch is probably 1million. I'd say that this weekend's firesale brought them close to that number.
    I just have a hard time believing that in an iPad-dominated world, and seeing the mediocre sales of Android tablets, that HP, knowing webOS was already a niche player to begin with, produced 1 million Touchpads. As goofy as they have been the past week, I refuse to believe they were that delusional.

It's more likely they produced a couple hundred thousand to gauge demand, with the ability to quickly ramp up production if webOS suddenly caught on.
    Its been proven time and time again that most who expereince it, don't want anything else after it.

We'll see, won't we?
    They won't have much choice than to get something else after it. If there were still webOS tablets being produced, you'd have a point, but the only company making them has ceased doing that, and there is very little chance another reputable company will want to take on this cursed niche OS.
    I just have a hard time believing that in an iPad-dominated world, and seeing the mediocre sales of Android tablets, that HP, knowing webOS was already a niche player to begin with, produced 1 million Touchpads. As goofy as they have been the past week, I refuse to believe they were that delusional.

It's more likely they produced a couple hundred thousand to gauge demand, with the ability to quickly ramp up production if webOS suddenly caught on.
    They projected 4 -5 million TP sales this year, with a July launch.

Do the math.

They won't have much choice than to get something else after it. If there were still webOS tablets being produced, you'd have a point, but the only company making them has ceased doing that, and there is very little chance another reputable company will want to take on this cursed niche OS.
    We don't know that yet.

What we do know is that they said WebOS is alive and will be pushed forward, and that they are currently talking with several large companies interested in it, now.

Rumors say a deal is actually done already with Samsung.

I think its best to not prognosticate, and just accept that its what we do NOT know that is likely of the most significance.

They projected 4 -5 million TP sales this year, with a July launch.

Do the math.

Optimism does not equal reality. There is just no way they blindly produced over a million Touchpads without truly knowing demand, especially with the sales figures from other non-iPad tablets at their fingertips.

I guess we'll know when the official numbers are in, but until then, both estimates are speculation.
    This is such a dumb view. HP can dress up in a santa outfit and just give them away for free. Everyone would want one then but that doesn't make it a smart business move.

The console analogies just don't work. A console is just a $300-400 paperweight without any games. So of course MS/Sony will bet the house that they'd buy a couple of $60 games over the 5+ year life span of a console (compared to the 1-2 year lifespan of mobile devices). This isn't the same case with tablets. If HP loses even $100 on firesales (and they aren't, they're losing $200+), they have to make that up through up through hundreds of $1-2 App sales PER USER. HP only gets a percentage of that so you got to double the loses. How many people will throw down $200-$400 in apps within a 1-2 year period, maybe the top % but we're talking the budget hunting market so it'd be even less. And thats just to break even, forget about profits.

Thats without saying that most of the profits come from hardware sales and HP would be making none.

The big shot business guys aren't scratching their heads, their shaking them.
    I've been trying to explain this around here for months, you can't operate a mobile device business in the same matter as the game console business. Accessories and games have HUGE margins per sale, apps not so much.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast