Like Tree9Likes
  • 7 Post By Lucidlore
  • 1 Post By LinuxKoss
  • 1 Post By JonVon
  1.    #1  
    I just want to add a quick anecdote to illustrate how insane this craze has become.

Today, you see, is my birthday. After having dinner with friends, I came home and prepared for bed. I got a call from my parents who live 5 hours away asking me how my day was and wondering if i had a good birthday. We talked and shared stories for 2 minutes. Then, out of the blue, my mom said "so i heard from your brother that you scored a touchpad this weekend. Your brother's orders got canceled, can you buy us three?"

Yea, thats right. My parents, (mom in mid 50s, dad in early 60s), who use Facebook to write and share poems with their old high school friends who live in Vietnam, who knows the word "ipad" but doesn't know the word "tablet", who constantly fight over the 1 laptop they share to read the news, has miraculously heard of, and wants me to buy them...a touchpad. What. The. HELL?

This is more than an amusing story and it comes to prove a point. Never in a million years would my parents ever know that a touchpad existed, had it not been for this firesale. Over the weekend, i was under the foolishly mistaken belief that this craziness would not last more than a few days and soon the demand would dwindle to nothing. I confidently laughed at all the flippers buying up bulk touchpads to sell on ebay, rationalizing that eventually, they would have a pile of touchpads and no one to buy them. How stupid I was. The demand for the touchpad has spread like wildfire at an exponential rate. People tell a friend who tell their family who tell their coworker who tell their grandmother, and because of human beings' tendency towards herd mentality, EVERYONE wants to be "in" on the deal because EVERYONE ELSE is "in" on the deal, and they don't want to be left out.

Case in point, lets refer back to that monstrous slickdeals thread. It took a weekend for the thread to reach 4 million views, as i cited earlier in the day on this forum. Yet upon checking just a few minutes prior to this post, that site has more than doubled to almost 10 million views. This, along with my observations prove to me that demand still has not peeked and is only ramping up.

I'm very well aware that despite the fact that demand is increasing, eventually, the touchpad well will dry and, unless webOS is licensed, there will be no more webOS devices. Still, I'm confident that every touchpad in existence now will eventually find a home, and hopefully, most will be in the hands of virgin tablet users that will be pleasantly surprised by the maligned yet capable gem they've scored. I dare to dream that this newly hatched and satisfied user base will open their wallets and spend a dollar here and a dollar there on what little apps are available and these small purchases will prove to the cynics and critics that webOS's potential IS real, and worth investing in. Hopefully, the developers will follow and along with them, will come suitors. Maybe a Korean guy named “Sam” or a Chinese guy with a 3 letter name. One can dream, right?
    howi, Rockbeast, JonVon and 4 others like this.
    I know, it is nuts.

My grandfather, who is 76 years old, was reading a few different newspapers for an hour on the first day I bought this tablet. I only showed him how to zoom in and out, and the rest he picked up. This is a man who still uses clamshell flip phones because he is convienced the new smartphones are too complex, and that phones should just make phone calls. Guess what? He asked me 4 times to buy him one, he loves it. I had to tell him to stop calling, and I'm trying my hardest to find one for him.

My aunt also used it, and enjoyed the experience. She only recently this year bought her first kindle. I didn't have to show her anything, and she understood it immediately.

My mother is reluctant with new technology, my aunt bought her a kindle a couple months ago and she loves it. I told her I found and ordered her a touchpad, and she was first in shock and then so very excited.

All this rambling, just to say I was the only family member who knew what webOS was until this weekends firesales. I was the only one with a smartphone, a near two year old pre plus.
    I was shocked how Wal-Mart employed were envious of me when I was picking up my touchpad on Saturday,and they kept asking me questions about it.

I'm just so use to having people ignore webOS, or look down on my phone. Or ask if its an iPhone.
    Last edited by LinuxKoss; 08/23/2011 at 02:19 AM. Reason: I hate the touchpad autocorrect
    bs03 likes this.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I took my touchpad to class today at a large university in South Florida. I had three people ask me if it was a touchpad. Only one person asked if it was an iPad. One girl said her whole sorority has been looking for them all weekend without luck. I can't believe how much mindshare this fire sale has generated.
    darkzone likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamjonvon View Post
    I took my touchpad to class today at a large university in South Florida. I had three people ask me if it was a touchpad. Only one person asked if it was an iPad. One girl said her whole sorority has been looking for them all weekend without luck. I can't believe how much mindshare this fire sale has generated.
    Awesome. Even my dad was like, "let's go look for that HP iPad", and both my brother and I facepalmed ourselves. Ha ha...Palm...unintentional pun. Sadly this liquidation was what it took for people to know what a Touchpad was.
    I was just thinking earlier today that the TP is now the IT thing. At least for awhile. People are looking for them just because everyone is talking about them.
    Sad that you have to kill your product to get everyone to notice.
    On the other hand I have always liked webOS and now I get to own a nice tablet with it.
    The 'fire sale' was not the original plan but that losses are being considered advertising expenses. "Once you use webOS we believe you won't want to use anything else." Estimated 2 million TP would sell in the 'fire sale.'
    Could not have said it better. Everybody knows that you have to spend money to make money, and the same everybody was criticizing HP for not gradually selling those @350...300...250..200.

It is an insanely genius marketing bet that has more than payed off. If on friday people were sure nobody will license a dead OS, now i am sure HTC and Samsung are outbidding each other in secret conference rooms around the world. And i wouldn't be surprised if both companies start making webos devices ...

Genius ...
    My wife took hers to work yesterday. She says that everyone there was envious of her. They asked her how did she get one? Most of them were looking for one. She told them that her husband got it for her and he has had one since they first started selling them and is obsessed with them. They asked if I could get them one. I told her to tell them to check out Precentral.net for news on when and where the next sale will be. I made it home from my job before her yesterday. I checked the site and learned about fire sale number 2. She came home and I told her about the next sale. She immediately called one of her co-workers who was very eager to get one. She told her about the site. Until that day I was the only one in our circle that had an interest in one. Everyone who saw mine liked it but no one else would buy one (or any other tablet).
    as a former pre owner I too am among those which now own a TP. Strange, or not, I did not buy one when Staples had their $100 coupon discount since I had just got a iconic 500 tablet and could not justify spending yet another $300 for yet a another tablet. In part it was also due to the face that the TP did not appear to offer anything I could not live without no, in some manner, offered on the icona 500 or my gen1 ipad...be that true or not.

in the end I would still have passed on the 32g at a price of $250 since I have so many tablets already though at $199 would probably have gone out to get one...that $199 price tag effect thing no doubt. I like my TP for the OS really and the update I feel addresses any slowness issues. Now if I could have gotten them for $99 then would own three lol instead of two 32g units. Not sure, with limited app development that one will fill up a 32g model...unlike my gen1 ipod which ran out of space on 32g due to app purchases, most of which not used.

last, I am a web reader and love the magazine style news apps apple store offers and since webOS apps are so limited that too was reason not to buy back when TP were retail priced.
    Quote Originally Posted by MihMih View Post
    Could not have said it better. Everybody knows that you have to spend money to make money, and the same everybody was criticizing HP for not gradually selling those @350...300...250..200.

It is an insanely genius marketing bet that has more than payed off. If on friday people were sure nobody will license a dead OS, now i am sure HTC and Samsung are outbidding each other in secret conference rooms around the world. And i wouldn't be surprised if both companies start making webos devices ...

Genius ...
    Quick question, why would they even bother making WebOS devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by neller2000 View Post
    Quick question, why would they even bother making WebOS devices?
    Simple question, simple answer... To make money. Why would anyone build anything to sell except to make money.
    Sorry, guys. This is not the place to attack each other. There is no place for that in these forums.

Thread closed.