Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By roundruler
  1.    #1  
    Thank you!
    Quick answer = no.
    Slightly longer answer...

Malware is generally written to con people out of cash. The most popular form of malware today are fake antivirus programs that report your PC as being infected with non-existent viruses and then ask you to pay for the "full" version of the program to remove the viruses.

So, if a person wants to write successful malware, they want to target the largest audience possible. That is why most malware is written for Windows PCs.

Now lets take a look at the Touchpad. We have a limited-run production of tablets running what is essentially a defunct OS, at a version with the least amount of saturation.

In other words, no one with any sort of sense is going to waste any time writing malware for the Touchpad. This is also why there are so few apps available for the Touchpad. There's simply not a broad enough target audience to make it profitable.

One might say the Touchpad is the absolute safest tablet when it comes to malware.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Sorta like Apple back in the day (not sure how that's changed as of late, but that used to be one of the big things with them, no viruses due to relatively few users.)
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Sorta like Apple back in the day (not sure how that's changed as of late, but that used to be one of the big things with them, no viruses due to relatively few users.)
    with hundreds of thousands of new Touchpad owners, won't some ***** decide
    that is worthwhile to come up with malware for Touchpads?

I'm not so worried about the apps that come from the official HP Apps Catalog.
    They have been tested and screened by HP guys, right?

What about all those patches and apps from preware? Can I trust everything
    that I install via preware's list of patches/apps?
    Even the "hundreds of thousands" are a mere blip against PCs (desktop/laptops), Macs or iPad/phone/pod products. You're better off using that time programing malware for a larger platform.

Sledge007, I read an article a while back about the "MacDefender" virus (standard Trojan horse fake-security suite) hitting Macs. Supposedly it was rather successful since a lot of users were raised on the "Your safe from viruses" doctrine and lacked healthy skepticism. Looking at Google, a lot of sites say it was a (relatively) big issue and then a lot of Mac sites saying it was all overblown.
    Quote Originally Posted by roundruler View Post
    with hundreds of thousands of new Touchpad owners, won't some ***** decide
    that is worthwhile to come up with malware for Touchpads?

I'm not so worried about the apps that come from the official HP Apps Catalog.
    They have been tested and screened by HP guys, right?

What about all those patches and apps from preware? Can I trust everything
    that I install via preware's list of patches/apps?
    im sure your average malware/viri coder wants to fuel their ego/boast of the dmg they did, boasting you nailed the touchpad is like a boxer boasting hes KO'd an 85 yr old blind grandma.

doesnt make them look good, just second rate/fail.
    2TouchDroid? likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    , boasting you nailed the touchpad is like a boxer boasting hes KO'd an 85 yr old blind grandma.
    my 82-years-old grandma carries two Glocks everywhere
    she goes..... Glock 20 in the gloveboxand Glove 29 in the
    purse... oh and her CCW as well, obviously.

maybe in 3 years when she turns 85, she'll get something
    lighter.
    geekpeter likes this.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

lighter.
    Don't mess with her!

lighter.
    I wanna party with your G-ma