Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Macflyer
  1.    #1  
    The TP might have taken the stage silently only to die in a dramatic fashion soon after but HP achieved something singlehandedly no one else has done before: putting a tablet into many hands who hadn't considered to jump on the post-PC just yet.

    Of course, I always liked the iPad but I never made a move to own one for two major reasons: the steep price and the fact Apple updates them once a year to add some major feature that was obviously missing from the predecessor.

    So, while the iPad 1 was nice, it lacked the front facing camera for video calling. I knew, it's only a matter of nine to twelve months that it would be added to a new model since it was already standard in the new ipod touch.

    Comes the iPad 2. It got not only one but two cameras. But should I buy one just yet? The touch already got Retina display. It will be just a matter of nine to twelve months until.......

    While hardware market works like this, it always caused hesitation at the price point Apple is asking for its tablet.

    Nothing like that with the TP. As soon as HP lowered it by $100 I was game. It offered a better internet experience for a lower price than the iPad. It was a first generation webOS tablet but it does a lot of things straight out of the box. And in light of the recent news and price adjustments, there won't be a better second generation TP, at least not in the foreseeable future. It just doesn't matter with this price.

    Due to the tragic events as such, what's the result? Many more people who for one or the other reason didn't own a tablet are now experiencing a new way of computing. Lots of TPs will be given as a gift. Family members getting equipped. First buyers who couldn't afford until now.

    Even if this might be the first and last webOS powered tablet, it did break ground. Many of us will not just give up tablet computing anymore. We are in. As long as the TP serves my needs it will stay. Then, I will be in the market for another tablet in some years. One that does things as good or even better. But, since I know that it's possible to design a decent running pad while offering Flash, it won't be an iPad anymore.

    Thanks HP, thanks TouchPad.

    Our relationship might be short-lived and lacks an upgrade path but all is good. You made my day anyway.
    Tikerz, Typo Lad and nyrath like this.
  2. #2  
    My 16 year old Android-loving little brother and my Apple/ipad-loving fiancee both got a dose of WebOS awesomeness, as I bought them both Touchpads. They couldn't refuse because it was a gift, and now they will be forced to experience the awesomeness of card-flicking and multitasking and all that WebOS has to offer lol. Thank you HP indeed. :-D Still I think most of us would have preferred HP to sell the Touchpad at cost or slightly below to penetrate the market and continue full support. But this will be a nice consolation, and a swan song to the WebOS saga.

    (I told my fiancee if after playing with the touchpad for a year she still wants an iPad I'll get her one on her birthday, I'm hoping she won't want one by then :-p)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Messerschmitts View Post
    My 16 year old Android-loving little brother and my Apple/ipad-loving fiancee both got a dose of WebOS awesomeness, as I bought them both Touchpads. They couldn't refuse because it was a gift, and now they will be forced to experience the awesomeness of card-flicking and multitasking and all that WebOS has to offer lol. Thank you HP indeed. :-D Still I think most of us would have preferred HP to sell the Touchpad at cost or slightly below to penetrate the market and continue full support. But this will be a nice consolation, and a swan song to the WebOS saga.

    (I told my fiancee if after playing with the touchpad for a year she still wants an iPad I'll get her one on her birthday, I'm hoping she won't want one by then :-p)
    she will want a new device at some point but might tell you to get her an iPad and asks you to buy this wonderful cards ui app in the apple store to make it look like webOS. ;-)
  4. #4  
    OP is right on. Good post.
  5. #5  
    Well.. HP has said that they are only stopping the hardware side of things.. we'll see what the future holds for webOS... we can only hope!
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Macflyer View Post
    she will want a new device at some point but might tell you to get her an iPad and asks you to buy this wonderful cards ui app in the apple store to make it look like webOS. ;-)
    I'd rather her go Android when it comes to that, I hate Apple. But she's an artist so they love Apple. :-p
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Macflyer View Post
    ...Of course, I always liked the iPad but I never made a move to own one for two major reasons: the steep price and the fact Apple updates them once a year to add some major feature that was obviously missing from the predecessor....
    Absolutely. My major issue with Apple is that they'll knowingly leave out something that they know people will want, just so that in a few months or a year they can release the updated model with that feature and everyone will have to have it.

    I've actually been lusting after a Galaxy Tab because it seems to have all of the features that I want that the iPad doesn't have. Expandable memory (via card), A-GPS, Flash capability, etc.

    Knowing that the TP doesn't have some of these things is no deterrent as the price is reasonable enough for me to make a couple of small sacrifices. But, seriously, if I'm going to pay $500-$600 for something, they damned well better not leave anything out.
  8. #8  
    Staff Note:
    Let's keep the thread away from the iPad/Galaxy/etc... comparisons. We have several threads about those already in our "Other Tablets" forum. Please keep to the OP topic - thanks!
  9. KJ78's Avatar
    Posts
    838 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #9  
    I'm wishing I bought a $100 touchpad. Someone already got Froyo working on it.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Macflyer View Post
    The TP might have taken the stage silently only to die in a dramatic fashion soon after but HP achieved something singlehandedly no one else has done before: putting a tablet into many hands who hadn't considered to jump on the post-PC just yet.

    Of course, I always liked the iPad but I never made a move to own one for two major reasons: the steep price and the fact Apple updates them once a year to add some major feature that was obviously missing from the predecessor.

    So, while the iPad 1 was nice, it lacked the front facing camera for video calling. I knew, it's only a matter of nine to twelve months that it would be added to a new model since it was already standard in the new ipod touch.

    Comes the iPad 2. It got not only one but two cameras. But should I buy one just yet? The touch already got Retina display. It will be just a matter of nine to twelve months until.......

    While hardware market works like this, it always caused hesitation at the price point Apple is asking for its tablet.

    Nothing like that with the TP. As soon as HP lowered it by $100 I was game. It offered a better internet experience for a lower price than the iPad. It was a first generation webOS tablet but it does a lot of things straight out of the box. And in light of the recent news and price adjustments, there won't be a better second generation TP, at least not in the foreseeable future. It just doesn't matter with this price.

    Due to the tragic events as such, what's the result? Many more people who for one or the other reason didn't own a tablet are now experiencing a new way of computing. Lots of TPs will be given as a gift. Family members getting equipped. First buyers who couldn't afford until now.

    Even if this might be the first and last webOS powered tablet, it did break ground. Many of us will not just give up tablet computing anymore. We are in. As long as the TP serves my needs it will stay. Then, I will be in the market for another tablet in some years. One that does things as good or even better. But, since I know that it's possible to design a decent running pad while offering Flash, it won't be an iPad anymore.

    Thanks HP, thanks TouchPad.

    Our relationship might be short-lived and lacks an upgrade path but all is good. You made my day anyway.
    I just want to make sure I understand this. You didn't want an iPad because Apple releases a newer version each year that improves upon previous models. However, you are attracted to the TouchPad because there will be no future models because it was a monster failure?
  11. #11  
    So... TouchPad died for our sins?
    Come play with my Twitter.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I just want to make sure I understand this. You didn't want an iPad because Apple releases a newer version each year that improves upon previous models. However, you are attracted to the TouchPad because there will be no future models because it was a monster failure?
    He's part of the hesitant tech buyer consumer base. He's that person among your friends that always strays away from buying the best, newest and coolest tech, the stuff that works the best and is the most awesome, because NEXT year, something new will pop, that's even better.

    Then he runs out and purchases something similar to last years tech and thinks he got a good deal.

    I have two friends who are EXACTLY like that. They both purchased Playstation 1's because I told them how great it was, AFTER the PS2 was released. I'll let you guess when they got the PS2, because I told them it was much better.

    The point is, anyone who purchased a Touchpad in the last couple of days were never in the market to buy any kind of iPad or Android tablet to begin with. I got two Touchpads, does that mean I think they're great and awesome? Not in your wildest dreams but they're USEFUL at the cost. And my parents will surely love them.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by neller2000 View Post
    He's part of the hesitant tech buyer consumer base. He's that person among your friends that always strays away from buying the best, newest and coolest tech, the stuff that works the best and is the most awesome, because NEXT year, something new will pop, that's even better.

    Then he runs out and purchases something similar to last years tech and thinks he got a good deal.

    I have two friends who are EXACTLY like that. They both purchased Playstation 1's because I told them how great it was, AFTER the PS2 was released. I'll let you guess when they got the PS2, because I told them it was much better.

    The point is, anyone who purchased a Touchpad in the last couple of days were never in the market to buy any kind of iPad or Android tablet to begin with. I got two Touchpads, does that mean I think they're great and awesome? Not in your wildest dreams but they're USEFUL at the cost. And my parents will surely love them.
    I have to disagree with you on your point. I bought a 32g TP Saturday morning. My main impetus for the purchase? Price. The fire sale got my attention. However, I have been in the market for a tablet for some time. I am an Android fan and have a rooted, romed, and themed EVO. I have never liked Apples walled garden approach. To me Apple products are for people who can not figure out technology and need someone to hold their hand. So no Ipad for me. Android tablets while appealing have left me wanting and at 400 to 500 dollars I decided to wait.
    2 years or so ago I was looking for my first smartphone. I looked long and hard at the Pre, really liked webOS but hated the hardware. I ended up with an HTC Hero and then a year later upgraded to the EVO 4G. Been very happy with Android as my smartphone OS. This TP has impressed me. I didn't know it was this good. So I thank HP for the fire sale, it took the price drop to get me into the mix.
    I believe there was a vacuum, people who wanted a tablet but didn't want to plunk down 500 bucks or more to see if it was for them. And really just playing with one in a store for 10 minutes is not going to cut it. You need to live with one, hang out with it day to day and then you will see how handy and cool they really are. Although there were a lot of jackholes that bought 10 just to flip em, there were also a lot of people like me who were just biding their time until a good tablet at the right price came along. Too bad it was a good tablet at a "we wont be making anymore of these, ever" price. But nobody ever promised we could have our cake and eat it too.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    OP is right on. Good post.
    Kate, did you finally get one? After the debacle on Thursday, I was seriously regretting my day 1 purchase at Best Buy. I kept thinking about how I recommended it to you and how sorry I would have been if you got one before the price drop. However, I got refunded to the fire sale price this Sunday. I bought another one for my wife. This thing has been crazy!
  15. #15  
    The TP might have taken the stage silently only to die in a dramatic fashion soon after but HP achieved something singlehandedly no one else has done before: putting a tablet into many hands who hadn't considered to jump on the post-PC just yet.
    I believe there was a vacuum, people who wanted a tablet but didn't want to plunk down 500 bucks or more to see if it was for them.
    That's me in a nutshell. I own 2 laptops, 2 desktops, 2 eReaders. I really wanted a tablet but could not justify the price of one since I had so many other computers. I kept saying "someday". When I signed on Saturday morning and heard about it - I spent the day doing the chase

    Now I'm waiting for my tracking number from HP for my 32GB.....
  16. Hobbz's Avatar
    Posts
    273 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    #16  
    I agree with OP. I find it funny how the actions of HPís inept leadership actually brought about a good thing. I also agree with revtime. (I watched Blazing Saddles the other day) From the articles Iíve read and from what others have been talking about, the price got the attention of those sitting on the sidelines because they didnít want to invest so much money in what many people deem a luxury.

    Thatís right, I said itÖ tablets are a luxury. Most people do not consider them a necessity as other items. Awfully similar to how PCs were viewed 15 years ago and laptops about 10 years ago. This low price opened the door to an opportunity for many to take the plunge and see what tablets are all about.

    While the TPad hardware specs may not be the cutting edge device out on the market, it's hardly "last year's" model. I was looking at different tablets yesterday and realized how similar the TPad is to the iPadís appearance compared to the rest of the competition. It occurred to me that HP tried to copy the appearance of another device instead of simply focusing on putting out an aesthetically pleasing design of their own. What people seemed to have the most frustration about was the appearance and feel of the device. The lack of a rear-facing camera and video-out port were the main items people seemed to miss for features.

    Along with many others, I thoroughly enjoy webOS and hope this brings new life into a wonderful OS. Iím a realist, however thatís not stopping me from hoping for a brighter future.
    War Eagle!

Posting Permissions