webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Does netflix work on touchpad?
Does netflix work on touchpad?

Old 07/01/2011, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Lots of requests for a netflix app on TP. Anyone try the web site with TP? Does it work ok?
hpsalesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2011, 08:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

I wonder this also... when I go preview it at BB I will check with my pre teatherd
Xadion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2011, 08:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

It won't work since Netflix uses silverlight
gabe2gg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2011, 08:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Doh!
hpsalesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2011, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Correct. It doesn't work for streaming. You can still mod/edit your queue though!...
Old 07/01/2011, 09:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

The netflix site may start working at some point. They have announced that they are going to start supporting HTML5 video, at least for the chrome book.

Netflix Plug-in for Chrome and Chrome OS is on the Way | thechromesource - Google Chrome and Chrome OS News and Forum
minego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2011, 02:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpsalesguy View Post
Lots of requests for a netflix app on TP. Anyone try the web site with TP? Does it work ok?
It worked yesterday but not now...
noktomezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2011, 04:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

After reading another thread, I tried out Playon which works great for hulu, and netflix (and lots of other streaming services) and they also have a beta plugin for streaming video off your own computer.

Playon isn't free - $4.99 a month or $39.00 for first year ($19.99 thereafter) or $79.00 for life.

iPhone and Android have apps but it works just fine in a browser on the Touchpad. I'm also thinking this would bypass the hulu block on mobile browsers (if it happens.)
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2011, 04:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

And the TP browser was supposed to even the playing field in regards to the iPad having more apps available...man, Netflix sure is nice on my other phone and other tablet lol.
BenSWoodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2011, 10:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Does anyone know if netflix works on the touchpad i just ordered a 32 gb and was wondering.
ILLBEBAKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2011, 10:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

No.
printrenori is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: ILLBEBAKC
Old 08/22/2011, 10:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

That saddens me a little but hey still got a great deal on the touchpad so i will get over it lol. thanx for the answer.
Old 08/22/2011, 11:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

The netflix related app that is in the catalog is for managing your queue. There isn't one for watching movies. However, if you have the PlayOn Media Server for your PC, you can enable the "Mobile Access" feature and then go to PlayOn and watch content handled by PlayOn through the browser. This includes Netflix.
hrminer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by ILLBEBAKC, sixfootsix
Old 08/22/2011, 11:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thats a good solution. THANKYOU!!! I think that 40$ a year is well worth it. Does your home pc\laptop have to be on and online at the same time you use it from a remote location?
Old 08/22/2011, 11:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

netflix works on silverlight. Wish they would come out with an HTML5 solution.
Old 08/22/2011, 11:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLBEBAKC View Post
Thats a good solution. THANKYOU!!! I think that 40$ a year is well worth it. Does your home pc\laptop have to be on and online at the same time you use it from a remote location?
yes, since the transcoding is being done on your PC. I haven't tried it from outside my home network, so you will probably have to look at their documentation to see if the URL is different for remote access or not. The server configuration dialog window says "from anywhere Internet access is available". They may be storing a cookie or something with the IP address of the home router when it's set up the first time.
hrminer92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
netflix, netflix app, touchpad

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0