1.    #1  
    asked before no doubt...
    at a friends house and their wireless is open. So that means when logging into this site my login id and password could be captured by anyone motoring their router?

yes...I should know this answer and am guessing the answer is yes.

I am under the assumption if one goes to a https site and enters login id and password, again on an open router, that the web page encrepts the data before transmitting...hope I got that right at least.
    thanks
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Well they could perform a man-in-the-middle attack, but this requires some skill. Your average neighborhood wifi snooper couldn't pull it off.
    Last edited by akshunj; 08/22/2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: typo
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    i'm not sure this is the place for this question, but the answer is yes. SSL (https) will provide a reasonable level of protection against people snooping on your wireless traffic. you just have to hope everything you're doing is over SSL, including background processes.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akshunj View Post
    Well they could perform a man-in-the-middle attack, but this requires some skill. Your average neighborhood wifi snooper couldn't pull it off.
    ideally you would get a certificate warning in this case. if you ignore it then you're asking for trouble.
    what haker is going to try to steal a precentral I'D and pass? Lol
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    what haker is going to try to steal a precentral I'D and pass? Lol
    You could have some fun with that. Have you ever seen someone lose a signature bet on another forum? Lot's of Lulz...