Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    This is absurd. EVERY other retailer is offering price matches for all TouchPad orders. Yet Amazon remains insistent that you can only get a "full refund" if you mail it in and is not offering a price match. This is absurd on two levels:
    1. They can only sell the device for $99 once they get it back.
    2. They are paying for return shipping. So it would actually be cheaper on their part to issue to price match.

So I've decided the webOS community needs to get together and send a message to Amazon that we will not be treated this way. So all webOS users, whether you ordered from Amazon or not, needs to support those that supported webOS by buying their TouchPads from Amazon before August 12.

I'm taking my battle to twitter. I posted the following:
    No more @Amazon buying until @HP #TouchPad orders are price matched. #amazonboycott
    Feel free to use those exact words.

I'll edit this post the moment Amazon changes their policy.
    Last edited by bobsentell; 08/22/2011 at 09:00 PM.
    Wow. You sure showed them.

Just so it's clear, you're boycotting them because they won't give money back to people that already agreed to pay full price?

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Just so it's clear, you're boycotting them because they won't give money back to people that already agreed to pay full price?

-Suntan
    Please tell me you're not serious. HP has committed to refunding every Touchpad owner, and just about every retailer, bar a select few (including Amazon) have agreed to take care of their customers. His complaint is valid.

Early adopters do expect to pay full price, but when PMs are issued to early adopters from other retailers, it makes no sense to purchase early (or ever again) from the company that decides to go against the status quo.
    sledge007 and VCI_Cell like this.
  4.    #4  
    By HP's enacting of the price match guidelines, they are agreeing that they short changed us and want their retailers to make it right. Amazon refuses to do so to the point they would rather spend MORE money than just honer HP's request.

Even Apple owned up on the immediate price drop of the iPhone 1 and no one cried foul when it happened despite a much smaller price drop.

This isn't because of me. I would be doing this even if I had bought it from someone else. Bad business is bad business regardless of who is affected.

And honestly, all this does is tell us who ould more likely treat us fairly if a similar event happened in the future.
    The complaint really isn't valid. They offer a full refund. That seems pretty neutral to me. Those retailers that are offering the match are providing what I would consider exceptional customer service, but it certainly doesn't qualify as treating you like a "second class citizen" to "only" offer a refund.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    The complaint really isn't valid. They offer a full refund. That seems pretty neutral to me. Those retailers that are offering the match are providing what I would consider exceptional customer service, but it certainly doesn't qualify as treating you like a "second class citizen" to "only" offer a refund.
    The validity of the complaint lies in that Amazon has done the price match for some people, just not all.

Please see this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    :
    1. They can only sell the device for $99 once they get it back.
    2. They are paying for return shipping. So it would actually be cheaper on their part to issue to price match.
    They won't resell it at all. They'll send it back to HP and get a refund. HP will then refurb it and use it for warranty replacement or dump it back on the market as a refurb.
    Quote Originally Posted by joen05 View Post
    The validity of the complaint lies in that Amazon has done the price match for some people, just not all.

Please see this thread.
    That's not uncommon. Like when I read about people that didn't get BB to honor their own policy. Some people are pushovers when it comes to customer service. If you are persistent with customer service (and reasonable) you will always come out ahead.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    They won't resell it at all. They'll send it back to HP and get a refund. HP will then refurb it and use it for warranty replacement or dump it back on the market as a refurb.
    It would still be cheaper to just do the price match. If they followed suit with Best Buy and walmart then they would have earned a lot of good publicity from this. This does seriously cause me to question future purchases with them.

If I go to one company and they offer me a free drink and go to another one and they don't, I'm liable to go to the one that offers the free drink even if they are the same price. Just because they don't have to do something doesn't mean it's a bad idea to do something.
  10.    #10  

-Suntan
    I'm sure the Apple fans agree to your sentiment. Also, the TouchPad had only been out 7 weeks when the price dropped by 80% as compared to the iPhone's 10 weeks and 30% drop.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    It would still be cheaper to just do the price match. If they followed suit with Best Buy and walmart then they would have earned a lot of good publicity from this. This does seriously cause me to question future purchases with them.

If I go to one company and they offer me a free drink and go to another one and they don't, I'm liable to go to the one that offers the free drink even if they are the same price. Just because they don't have to do something doesn't mean it's a bad idea to do something.
    Right, so they aren't treating you like a second class citizen. They are treating you normally, while others may be treating you better. So, vote with your wallet. But the whole second class citizen thing just seems like a bit of a stretch to me.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    Right, so they aren't treating you like a second class citizen. They are treating you normally, while others may be treating you better. So, vote with your wallet. But the whole second class citizen thing just seems like a bit of a stretch to me.
    changed my OP to remove the second class citizen thing. But tell me this. Replace the word "TouchPad" with the word "iPad" and do you think amazon would continue their current policy?
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I thought Amazon was very kind to completely refund my $600+ for my 3 week old TouchPad and case last Friday when I called them. I got my shipping label emailed to me in about 5 minutes. I too tried to call them before I shipped it back and ask if they would refund/price match the discounted price and they said they could only offer me the full refund. I again asked yesterday as I was in line at Best Buy and again they said they couldn't. So off it goes to Amazon and since I paid for it with their card on a no interest for 12 months. It still never cost me anything and cost them the sale and the shipping. I have since bought 3 TouchPads for about half what it cost for my original.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)

-Suntan
    Suntan stop being a leech on these forums. Every thread you're being a little ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimBoch View Post
    I thought Amazon was very kind to completely refund my $600+ for my 3 week old TouchPad and case last Friday when I called them. I got my shipping label emailed to me in about 5 minutes. I too tried to call them before I shipped it back and ask if they would refund/price match the discounted price and they said they could only offer me the full refund. I again asked yesterday as I was in line at Best Buy and again they said they couldn't. So off it goes to Amazon and since I paid for it with their card on a no interest for 12 months. It still never cost me anything and cost them the sale and the shipping. I have since bought 3 TouchPads for about half what it cost for my original.
    I completely understand this. It's very reasonable for Amazon to extend their refund policy, and offer full refunds to those who want them. However, the problem lies with those customers who want to keep them. It should not be that difficult to try to keep something you actually like, especially when the status quo is to allow the partial refund. The option that Amazon is providing is:

1. Keep your Touchpad for launch day price if you purchased before Aug 12
    2. Have no Touchpad, and all your money back, with the risk that you may not be able to get one.

How reasonable do those options really sound? Not good, if you're a real Touchpad fan.

Just my 0.02. And yes, I fought for a partial refund from Amazon, so I understand OP's frustration.
    Just my 0.02. And yes, I fought for a partial refund from Amazon, so I understand OP's frustration.
    Did you end up getting it? You guys need to band together and try to get the contact information of any of the amazon reps that hooked you up. Just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    Did you end up getting it? You guys need to band together and try to get the contact information of any of the amazon reps that hooked you up. Just saying.
    I did. I posted my information in the thread I referenced above.
    There was an article on Gizmodo suggesting (that might even be too strong) about conspiracy with Amazon regarding the TouchPad and their own tablet interests. They mentioned that Amazon was not selling it at the $99/$149 price point because they don't want to lose potential marketshare. I'm not suggesting this is why they wouldn't give the price plus, but for conspiracy theorists (like myself) it sure makes for an interesting discussion!
    I did. I posted my information in the thread I referenced above.
    I got shot down. I don't know what's ****es me off more: that they just won't follow HP's instructions on the matter or that they're so damn inconsistent.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    I got shot down. I don't know what's ****es me off more: that they just won't follow HP's instructions on the matter or that they're so damn inconsistent.
    Don't give up quite yet. It took me 7-8 calls and a whole weekend to fight for mine back.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast