Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1.    #1  
    With the overnight success of this Touchpad, has anyone thought about the reason it was canned so quickly? If they wanted to clear it from stores they still could have done so at cost to them (hardware wise - $295 ish for 16gb, $320 for 32gb) and sold out in a month or so.

I personally see so many similarities between this and the iPad that I would find it extremely strange if Apple hadn't at least threatened a huge law suit and HP had settled out of court by dumping the TP and webOS all together. webOS seems to have a similar keyboard, same screenshot method and im not sure what else as I have yet to recieve my TP. As for the external buttons, they could almost be spares from an iPad (volume + lock buttons) at least for their shape and placement. I know that making a tablet like this limits the placement and design of the buttons, but I doub't Apple would see it that way.

The whole thing stinks of Apples policy "If it looks something like ours, you shouldn't make money off it."

Thoughts?
    nope, it is a simple case of Leo being insane.
    That sort of settlement would have required reporting to the shareholders.
    Gack!!!!

My golly: this is not an "overnight success"!!! If Barnes and Noble put the Nook Color (or any other tablet manufacturer put theirs) for sale at $99, it would sell just as quickly. This was a fire sale, and means absolutely nothing for the long-term viability of webOS. The difference between the TouchPad and any other tablet is that no more are going to be made. So this is it, finite, the end. Every TouchPad that was going to be sold, has been sold (pretty much). This is AS BIG as the webOS userbase is going to get (barring a miracle). The world is round, people! Round, I tell you!

Incidentally, HP has enough patents of their own, not to mention Palm's portfolio, that Apple would be idiots to go after them. There's very much a mutually assured destruction thing going on between them.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    nope, it is a simple case of Leo being insane.
    This.

"Let's buy Palm, slowly disintegrate its identity into HP, and then kill it in less a year. Oh, and liquidate out stock of $400 tablets. Sell 'em for a hundred-bucks. We can call it a 'stimulus package' ... put those Pre3's in with the E.T. Cartridges in the desert."
    what lawsuit?

hp would now eat apples lunch due to their IP portfolio from Palm
    russraff32 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Gack!!!!

My golly: this is not an "overnight success"!!! If Barnes and Noble put the Nook Color (or any other tablet manufacturer put theirs) for sale at $99, it would sell just as quickly. This was a fire sale, and means absolutely nothing for the long-term viability of webOS. The difference between the TouchPad and any other tablet is that no more are going to be made. So this is it, finite, the end. Every TouchPad that was going to be sold, has been sold (pretty much). This is AS BIG as the webOS userbase is going to get (barring a miracle). The world is round, people! Round, I tell you!

Incidentally, HP has enough patents of their own, not to mention Palm's portfolio, that Apple would be idiots to go after them. There's very much a mutually assured destruction thing going on between them.
    People can't seem to grasp that Apple did exactly what HP did but with a $500+ price tag. That considered, how is this a success?!?
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Well I hope it reduces tablet prices, for one. It would be neat to see some manufacturers crank out some $199 or less tablets running webOs

Crossing my fingers for partners with HP
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by transient View Post
    People can't seem to grasp that Apple did exactly what HP did but with a $500+ price tag. That considered, how is this a success?!?
    why does everything that is a 'success' have to measured by monetary?
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    I don't think Apple shut down HP directly, but maybe indirectly by HP setting their expectations way too high...
    sinsin07 and russraff32 like this.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    Unless you're an artist or an activist (I mean have a no-show job) then a dollar earned today is worth more than a dollar earned tomorrow...
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Yeah HP just bought a platform that already was diminutive, put the OS on a tablet, and set it out on the shelf next to iPad and expected people to eat it up
    No. Until Leo took over, HP was a company that slowly took over. But Leo wants to turn this into SAE-lite. Remember, Palm was bought by his predecessor. Mark Hurd's vision for HP differed from Leo's. Apple was not a factor in this decision.
    Well, huh. Everybody who's in business to make money defines success in monetary terms, which is pretty much everybody. webOS isn't successful as a product unless it's a profitable venture. How else would you define success here?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Not while HP has this.
    United States Patent: 7555727
    Because it's a business, not a charity. I saw a post that said that HP lost nearly half a billion over the ~1million touchpads being sold in the fire sale. iPad sells about 9 million a quarter. I'd imagine that WebOS would need something like 3-5 million to gain any type of traction. Can HP or anyone eat $1 billion on a product that is destined to have low margins?
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujila View Post
    Well I hope it reduces tablet prices, for one. It would be neat to see some manufacturers crank out some $199 or less tablets running webOs

Crossing my fingers for partners with HP
    Sure, if you want them to be crap. Modern tablets cost about $300 to manufacture, so unless you expect manufacturers to become non-profit entities, you either pay profitable prices for tablets or you see them manufactured for less than $100. Which would result in crap.
  18.    #18  
    OK, well here is AUS only a few people paid full price as it was available for less than a week (?) before being dumped. It sold out in all stores in about 4 hours (barring a few) yesterday and is now near impossible to get retail. From the reviews and the ability to run HomeBrew I could see this being a viable alternative to the ipad even if it is a little slower out of the box.

I realise that any $500 device that is reduced to $98 will sell quickly if there is nothing wrong with the device apart from future support. I can see a great userbase movement to improve these tablets as HP wont be doing so - (Either with homebrew or a possible android port).

With the possibility of both of those software hacks (one endorsed, one a mere possibility) I still see it would sell well at a higher price. All the while I am glad it didn't

If HP re-released this tablet in the future with a decent userbase, with a new OS I imagine it would sell quite well. If it was possible to port android to the tablet it seems strange that they didn't just send out new packaging and a flash program to make the most out of the units they had. I guess I still find it hard to believe that they failed so epically.
    Isn't HP shutting down their whole computer hardware division with WebOS devices just being part of the story?

If so . . HP was in so much fear of an Apple lawsuit they changed their whole business plan?

Don't think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjp770 View Post
    From the reviews and the ability to run HomeBrew I could see this being a viable alternative to the ipad even if it is a little slower out of the box.
    Here's the rub, though: it's not a viable alternative to the iPad (for, obviously, the vast majority of people) because of the 10's of thousands of apps written for the iPad. It's not a viable alternative to Honeycomb tablets, either, which also have 10's of thousands of apps available to them (even if all aren't yet fully optimized).

I think too many webOS fans think of these devices like feature phones--devices with a certain level of functionality built in--and then compare them to the competition on those grounds. Sure, if we were talking about feature phones, webOS would win. But we're not--we're talking about smartphones and tablets, the value of which is defined by the nearly infinite uses they can be put to by the apps that are written for them.

webOS will never have that kind of diverse app (or any other) ecosystem. That's the reason why a TouchPad, no matter how nice it is out of the box, will ever approach the value of an iPad or Honeycomb tablet. And that's why it sold for $99 when it wouldn't sell for $399.
    sinsin07 and SnotBoogie like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast