Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes
    If Apple was the culprit...they must have been mad at HP's Computer hardware division too...since that will be sold off according to Leo...him and his Enterprise Software Company mind...
    get in the now.

Google did it. They're taking over the world! F! Taco Bell!
    I see pandas.
    No! As has been said before Leo-tard is nuts!
    So, let's look at the situation:

HP "had intent" to get into the Tablet market.
    This market is dominated by Apple, with several also-rans...

1) In order to get traction, HP would either have to have an INCREDIBLE value proposition (e.g. PACKED with every possible piece of Enterprise Software - Doc Editing Suite, Asset tagging/tracking, RDP/RA/some-kind-of-bloody-remote-access-tool-that-ENTERPRISES actually use!)

OR

2) Ho themselves out at - or slightly below - cost, in order to "buy" a portion of the market.

Well, as for (1) above, HP DID NOT INVEST THE REQUISITE CAPITAL in getting the job done. The product was not fully baked, and the software is still not there. Did HP offer to pay ANY of the Office-suite manufacturers to port to WebOS?

As for (2)... well... it might've worked, eh Leo???!!! Would $199 and $299 for TP's have had people lining up outside buildings and stores at 07:00... probbaly not. Would it have got the sales folk at BB and others a bit more interested in pushing it... maybe not. Would it have got me buying a couple BEFORE the firesale - absolutely!

Either way, the premature soggy mess we're all watching now MUST have been an identified contingency before the fact. Whether it was or not, the entire HP board, Leo, et al should have their rear-ends fired. Now.

/rant

russ
    .. So, to summarize rant above:

No, Apple did NOT put HP out of teh table business.

A half-baked, poorly executed entry into an existing market put HP out of the tablet business.

Assuming they REALLY wanted to be in it... (theme music for TwinPeaks goes <here> )

russ
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Here's the rub, though: it's not a viable alternative to the iPad (for, obviously, the vast majority of people) because of the 10's of thousands of apps written for the iPad. It's not a viable alternative to Honeycomb tablets, either, which also have 10's of thousands of apps available to them (even if all aren't yet fully optimized).

I think too many webOS fans think of these devices like feature phones--devices with a certain level of functionality built in--and then compare them to the competition on those grounds. Sure, if we were talking about feature phones, webOS would win. But we're not--we're talking about smartphones and tablets, the value of which is defined by the nearly infinite uses they can be put to by the apps that are written for them.

webOS will never have that kind of diverse app (or any other) ecosystem. That's the reason why a TouchPad, no matter how nice it is out of the box, will ever approach the value of an iPad or Honeycomb tablet. And that's why it sold for $99 when it wouldn't sell for $399.
    Case in point:

Microsoft courts webOS developers; 1,000 make the leap
    HP bought webOS because they were tired of waiting for Microsoft to get their act together and they saw that Android was as useless as it is. What I think ultimately led to the demise of webOS was Windows 8. In essence, Microsoft would have Windows 8 ready for release before webOS would be able to make a sizable dent in the consumer market. And since the expense would not result in sufficient gains, HP bailed.

webOS will still be around for other companies to lisence. But those will generally be the ones disenfranchised with both Google and Microsoft or will be like HTC and just feels the need to release a device with every OS imaginable.
    In business terms the TouchPad is a failure, but this fire sale has made it a spectacular failure, the kind that will be remembered for decades instead of just fading into oblivion. If you're gonna go out, go out in a blaze of glory.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Here's the rub, though: it's not a viable alternative to the iPad (for, obviously, the vast majority of people) because of the 10's of thousands of apps written for the iPad. It's not a viable alternative to Honeycomb tablets, either, which also have 10's of thousands of apps available to them (even if all aren't yet fully optimized).
    I think that sums up why it failed and what I wasn't thinking of when I said 'success'. Most users will want a device that 'Just Works'. For the modding community and for the type of people that jailbroke their iPhones this device has promise. But those people dont make up anywhere near a decent percentage of tablet buyers.

FWIW I would never have bought an iPad. For $300 I would have bought one of the HP TouchPads. For $499, nope. Still a pass.

Thanks all for the input and links - most of the info I was finding up till now was non specific about the why.
    No i don't think that. I think they were buring through $332 million bucks at a time and nobody was buying it so it was not profitable. And the only chance of making it profitable was to make a two year investment that didn't look certain of making a return. It didn't make money. It wasn't some apple threat. If people had bought it. They wouldn't have canceled it.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    The entire world will be in a Lawsuit them if this makes real -.- (So stupid).

anyways in webosroundup theres a post that shows a design of the Touchpad before the iPad was made!. But whatever HP didn't patent it -.- (stupid again..)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12