Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By JayhawkOne
  • 1 Post By bluenote
  • 1 Post By johncase3
  • 1 Post By jaltman
  1.    #1  
    Hi. I'm a reporter for the New York Times who is writing a story related to H.P discontinuing the TouchPad. I'm interested in talking to an early buyer of the TouchPad about his or her attitude toward H.P. for killing the product.

Any help would be much appreciated. We would ultimately have to talk by phone by mid-day tomorrow (Tuesday) U.S. West Coast time. You must be comfortable having your name appear in print. I'm looking for a U.S. resident only. Feel free to send me a private message. Thanks.

See some of my coverage of H.P. here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/19/te...customers.html

The TouchPad Finally Sells -- At 80% Off - NYTimes.com
    prepare to be overwhelmed by people that want to talk to you...
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Pm sent.

-Gromet
    Apple iPad2 64GB WiFi +3G (Verizon)
    Apple iPhone4 32GB (AT&T)
    Touchpad 32GB WiFi - RETURNED
    Veer 4G - SOLD
    You should interview a member who not only bought a launch TouchPad, but is still clinging on to a Sprint Palm Pre. Then you'd get the full on WebOs story.
    kjb86 and methods like this.
    you write: "it never generated much interest with consumers. "

edit: until now

Its a good product, you can see my other threads for my experiences.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...no-laptop.html

But the fact that it debuted with 3.0 rather than waiting a month for the smoother 3.02 and getting the promised document editing, caused it to to have poor reviews which was a devastating blow.
    In addition, it couldn't get past the incredible marketing hype of Apple.
    Added to this a poor economy in the U.S., where people are watching expenses closely.

edit: And lets not forget also that it was priced to compete with Apple's second gen hardware when it was first gen hardware and thus, should have gone after the lower end demand, which is clearly demonstrated to exist in this past week's sales.

But my midwestern friend who loves Apple and is not a techie, saw me using this device and liked it much better than her iPad1 which she got last year. " People finally getting the devices in their hands is selling them on webOS.

I would like to see HP create a business model with some recurring software revenue out of these webOS devices. (similar to having us buy those expensive printer ink refills)
    Last edited by bluenote; 08/23/2011 at 07:24 AM.
    bmacfarland likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by vernekopy View Post
    Did I just use up 2 of my 10 free page views for this?
    Page Plus Cellular - Talk Smart
    Palm M100 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755P > Palm Pro > Palm Pre-
    pangi likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkOne View Post
    You should interview a member who not only bought a launch TouchPad, but is still clinging on to a Sprint Palm Pre. Then you'd get the full on WebOs story.
    *Raises hand*

There are plenty of us out there. You're more than likely going to get bombarded with a bunch of people who don't know anything about the OS, just hopped on for a sweet deal. Which is why I'll probably avoid this forum for the next couple weeks, the flood is going to get ridiculous. Last night hit an all-time high, and as of writing, there are nearly 8,000 people online. Mods are going to have fun.
    "I got one just so I can wait until Android gets ported over! $100 Android tablet FTW!"

yeah many of them are those people...
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    unbelievably short sighted, impulsive, not the type of action a mature player in the consumer electronics industry should ever allow, handled in a manner calculated to damage stockholder value. Fire Leo now. I have been a Palm diehard and an HP diehard, I have 3 or 4 HP laptops, 3 laserprinters, 2 color photo printers. Oh yeah, I am a ****ed stockholder.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    Titan078 likes this.
    agreed.
    I'd volunteer, but I'd probably just start cursing their names and threatening to kill 'ol Leo within 30 seconds of starting my interview.

Seeing WebOS being all but killed is like taking my dog to the vet to have him put down. It hurts. And I know this is just a freaking operating system, but I don't care. I love WebOS.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johncase3 View Post
    Did I just use up 2 of my 10 free page views for this?
    The pay wall! I'd like to say 'You Americans' but there is an Aussie making NYT less read.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts

what he said

I'd like to see this story turned into a movie.
    I'd love to talk to you. Pm me your contact info.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Sprint Pre - Resting in peace | Touchpad - Stock and still running like new
    Quote Originally Posted by vernekopy View Post
    Hi. I'm a reporter for the New York Times who is writing a story related to H.P discontinuing the TouchPad. I'm interested in talking to an early buyer of the TouchPad about his or her attitude toward H.P. for killing the product.

Any help would be much appreciated. We would ultimately have to talk by phone by mid-day tomorrow (Tuesday) U.S. West Coast time. You must be comfortable having your name appear in print. I'm looking for a U.S. resident only. Feel free to send me a private message. Thanks.

See some of my coverage of H.P. here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/19/te...customers.html

The TouchPad Finally Sells -- At 80% Off - NYTimes.com
    you write:

Not all retailers are participating in the price, at least as of Sunday afternoon. Amazon.com, for example, listed the TouchPad for sale without the steep discount. However, it did offer the discount briefly as part of its lightning deals.

isn't that not accurate? amazon is completely sold out, it is the other companies selling through amazon that are charging more....?