Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes
    Well, if they are able to sell touchstones and other chargers AND apps they will get some money back. And maybe a customer or 2 too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    HP should have sold the 16GB for 250 and the 32GB for 350. Now they are virtually giving them away. Those guys aren't too bright.

I would have made the 32gb 300, not 350 but agreed.

look on the bright side, I managed to afford a tablet a good 2 years before planned.
    Not only did they lose because money of each sale of the TP. They lost money on buying Palm because as of NOW they will never produce another mobile device or use the technology they purchased. What about the cost of R&D on the TP. What about the investors pulling out????? BTW Stock is down 41% YTD.

No wonder they are changing their game around.

The Ironic thing is Tod Bradley said when the TP was being released "We are at the being of the marathon and not the end of the sprint". Looks like they gave up in the first mile of that marathon.
    Quote Originally Posted by robotech1985 View Post
    I thought it cost them like 300 per unit... there at least loosing 200 or more per unit.
    Could be true, but still less than Microsoft reportedly budgeted for advertising WinPhone7 & the X-box. They should have just planned to take an early hit. They would be better off because they would have had a user base to build from.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    HP should have sold the 16GB for 250 and the 32GB for 350. Now they are virtually giving them away. Those guys aren't too bright.
    Sometimes in life, we build our pleasure on people's stupidity. I'm sure all those who bought $99 TouchPads would agree.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Stock prices are based on FORWARD earnings/revenue projections.

The reason for the stock price drop was the planned el;imination of thier largest revnue maker, the PC division, with NO definitive plan in place to replace it, so, down she goes; had they announced a sale or partnership with a major company that would at least, in part, give the street something to chew on, perhaps the devaluation wouldnt have been so bad, but, this took every bit of growth potential out of their stock price, and that decreases the rewarded multiplier that justifies a higher trading price relative to book value and present earnings.

And the more uncertainty HP management shows, the lower it will drop.

Just FYI.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

SnotBoogie likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    how much would they have lost if they didnt kill it and actually invested in it? Probably would have killed all other tablets out there and made a nice profit...****ing *******, I really hate HP.
    According to the conference call webOS lost $332 Million last quarter. So if things continued they were looking at losing $332 million dollars on webos alone per quarter.
    "corporate investment which includes webOS recorded an operating loss of $332 million dollars per quarter." "We would have taken an even larger loss in webOS in the following quarter if we continued to operate the business in its current form." "to make this investment a success it would take substantial investment over the next one to two years creating risk without clear return." Cathie Lesjak, HP CFO. Audio is here Why HP killed its webOS devices | This is my next...
    From there call seems they would have taken a larger loss then $332 million, not a profit. And it seems that where they to invest more it would be 1 to 2 years and possibly losing more then $1.2 billion per year without a profit. Now hopefully they could find a way to start making some profit and cut those losses but it clear that that was a "risk without clear return." So there seemed to be no guarantee that even 2 years out it would be profitable. that's tough to commit to risk basically what you paid for the company just to run the company. Basically that's the same issue Palm had when they sold it i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    If they had come out and said, "We want to get these in the hands of everyone, so we are going to sell them at $199 and $249." You would have seen them be able to move about 5 million in a quarter. Of course that would have represented a $100 loss on each, but for $500 million
    interesting, again though. that would be $500 million loss on top of the over $332 million loss per quarter they were already anticipating. So what you'd be asking is at minimum $832 million loss between now and the end of November. That's a tough one to sell to your board.

The get it in consumers hands idea i think is good but that's why i thought Palm should have licenced it long ago. Cuts you from the cost of manufacturing and supporting hardware because the software side is cheaper. Then after like three or 4 years if we had penetration i'd be releasing my own hardware. but i think Selling an $800 million dollar loss to a board when you're company has failed to meet earnings for two prior quarters is a tough sell when there goal is an immediate improvement in profitability of PSG.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    I knew it before I even opened up the article. This is a guesstimation based on the previously guessed cost of making the Touchpad by Isuppli, which I still say is way off. I'd say HP was close to breaking even, even at the fire sale prices. $308 to make a Touchpad? Pssh. My ***.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I knew it before I even opened up the article. This is a guesstimation based on the previously guessed cost of making the Touchpad by Isuppli, which I still say is way off. I'd say HP was close to breaking even, even at the fire sale prices. $308 to make a Touchpad? Pssh. My ***.
    Breaking even?

Even with the original $100 price cut they were losing money:

Even with the price reduction in Q3, we needed to better align our unit forecast with the sell-through reality in the quarter and we took a $0.05 charge to EPS in addition to the loss we were already expecting in the business. We would expect an even larger loss for webOS in Q4 if we continue to operate the business in its current form.
    Further:

For GAAP guidance, we expect to take a GAAP-only cash charge of approximately $1 billion for restructuring and shutdown costs related to webOS devices.
    Corporate Investments, which includes webOS, recorded revenue of $266 million, and an operating loss of $332 million in the quarter.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...xUeXBlPTI=&t=1
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Couldn't happen to a better company.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    ... I'd say HP was close to breaking even, even at the fire sale prices. $308 to make a Touchpad? Pssh. My ***.
    $308 seems unrealistically low to me if you take in consideration R&D, manufacturing and expensive promotions.
    But of course, it's all HP's fault. No one insane would reboot webOS using Veer as spearhead, followed with featureless Touchpad. WebOS was enough full of it's own problems to be able to handle design faults. It needed attractive form factor combined with rich feature list to be able to compete in $400 market segment.
    Simply, HP was short sighted and webOS is just collateral damage of their incompetence. God, I loved HP and thought they are real professionals, but they are just bunch of corporate wimps.
    Last edited by chalx; 08/23/2011 at 10:31 AM.
    Why didn't Leo keep his mouth shut and let HP do another $299 Counpon. They would have sold out at $299.

But once Leo says it is discontinued, you get about $99. Duh.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Why didn't Leo keep his mouth shut and let HP do another $299 Counpon. They would have sold out at $299.

But once Leo says it is discontinued, you get about $99. Duh.
    This whole Thursday thing in unexplainable. Intentional product execution carried by CEO and CFO looks like something from Natural Born Killers, and Leo and Catherine are like Mickey and Mallory.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    This whole Thursday thing in unexplainable. Intentional product execution carried by CEO and CFO looks like something from Natural Born Killers, and Leo and Catherine are like Mickey and Mallory.
    Leo: "Watch as I take tough and decisive action to show what sort of CEO I am!"

Investors/Market: "What the hell sort of CEO is he?"
    DS_Palm_Lvr likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12