Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By daffy4u
  1.    #1  
    So yes I got in on the firesale, sorry for being a noob. Searched and couldn't find answers to these questions so forgive me if they've been asked before.

1) Is there a handwriting app where I can write notes down and save them? Sort of like Penultimate on iOS? I want to take my tablet to meetings and write down notes, not type them in. It's quicker for me to write and then type them later.

2) Is there any good remote tool app? I have a VM on my work computer and want to be able to connect to that VM and control it. I downloaded a VNC tool but couldn't get a keyboard to pop up to change the IP/Port so it was kind of useless.

3) Does this thing not connect to ad-hoc networks? I set up a "MyWi" connection from my iPhone and it didn't even see it. My PC saw it but the tablet couldn't.

4) Is there any way to get the mail application to save settings? Every time I open it, it pulls up 3 columns. I drag the bar to hide the left column but if I close the app and reopen it, the 3 columns appear again.

5) How do you get it to mark messages as read without opening them? I have it setup to connect to GMail and it downloads new mail fine. However if I read the new email through my phone or through my browser, the TouchPad never marks it read. Even if I open the mail app, it shows as bold and unread until I tap on the message. It's kind of annoying

So far I love this tablet and I love WebOS. If I could get these minor issues fixed I'm giving my company iPad to a coworker and will use the TouchPad instead.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Don't really know the answers to your questions as I'm new to this too but.
    if mywi doesn't work and you're on firmware 4.2.1 or higher you can uninstall mywi and use tetherme which unlocks the native tethering ability built into iOS.
    Both have wifi option for tethering. Not sure if they are both adhoc or not though
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandurz View Post
    So yes I got in on the firesale, sorry for being a noob. Searched and couldn't find answers to these questions so forgive me if they've been asked before.

1) Is there a handwriting app where I can write notes down and save them? Sort of like Penultimate on iOS? I want to take my tablet to meetings and write down notes, not type them in. It's quicker for me to write and then type them later.
    Not that I know of. There are some drawing program where you can do the same thing I suppose, but I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for.

2) Is there any good remote tool app? I have a VM on my work computer and want to be able to connect to that VM and control it. I downloaded a VNC tool but couldn't get a keyboard to pop up to change the IP/Port so it was kind of useless.
    I'm afraid I'm not much help here. I've not used a remote tool app before.

3) Does this thing not connect to ad-hoc networks? I set up a "MyWi" connection from my iPhone and it didn't even see it. My PC saw it but the tablet couldn't.
    It should... it did when I tested at Best Buy, connecting the TouchPad to my Palm Pre's wifi hotspot.

4) Is there any way to get the mail application to save settings? Every time I open it, it pulls up 3 columns. I drag the bar to hide the left column but if I close the app and reopen it, the 3 columns appear again.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $answer$ $is$ $no$.

5) How do you get it to mark messages as read without opening them? I have it setup to connect to GMail and it downloads new mail fine. However if I read the new email through my phone or through my browser, the TouchPad never marks it read. Even if I open the mail app, it shows as bold and unread until I tap on the message. It's kind of annoying
    Hm good question. I don't know the answer, but I know that there's an icon in the second column that looks like 3 horizontal rules. That's a multi-select icon. When you click on that, you can select multiple email messages, and the icons at the bottom of the second column update to reflect the actions that you can take. Perhaps one of those is "mark as read?"

So far I love this tablet and I love WebOS. If I could get these minor issues fixed I'm giving my company iPad to a coworker and will use the TouchPad instead.
    Welcome.
    it doesnt connect to ADHOC... the device has to support infrastructure mode... example Palm Pre hotspot etc in Infrastructure mode not adhoc.

When the mail app is open, look in the upper left corner for "Email", tap on that and a menu will open. The first item in the menu is "mark all as read".
    WebOS Migrant likes this.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    2. I use logmein.com. It works alright.

I just found out that the answer to this is YES :-) If you don't already have Preware loaded, you're missing out on a ton of tricks that can be unleashed. Anyhow, install Preware and install the email patch named "Launch with Folder View Minimize" which essentially does exactly what you want: Launch email with only 2 columns instead of 3. Enjoy!

oh... and if anyone else is wondering "what's preware?"... check this:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-guide.html
    Global Posts
    369 Global Posts
    #5, did you wait for gmail to synch again on TP? It should work but you have to wait for next sync as gmail is not push.
    Last edited by werkx; 08/24/2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: correct auto-correct