Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    So my local best buy decided to post a huge HP TOUCHPAD in stock now marketing banner outside like you would have seen at launch.... I went in to see if they had any accessories, and there we so many people in the tablet department.... "where's the touchpad??" "have you seen the touchpad?" "shh...dont tell anyone we are looking for the touchpad..." "whats a touchpad?"

Honestly...it is the hottest thing since NES... Whomever picks up WebOS has been given a goldmine.
    retroblu, SnipeUout and Soorma like this.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    did they actually have any?
    I had a similar experience at Future Shop this morning. They didn't have a big banner, but a "Sold out of TouchPad" sign. I went in to get a price match for my TP, and the guy at the customer service desk kept getting interupted every 5 seconds by calls. People wanted to know if they had the TPs in stock. There was even 10 people standing around the TP display. They were waiting for them to unload the truck.

One guy didn't even know what it was, but his son told him that he needed one.

What was completely disheartening, was that one of the associated told me that she can't beleive that anyone would want to by a tablet that had no apps. I had to correct her. She didn't believe me. Oh well.
    This is funny and tragic.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsis View Post
    I had a similar experience at Future Shop this morning. They didn't have a big banner, but a "Sold out of TouchPad" sign. I went in to get a price match for my TP, and the guy at the customer service desk kept getting interupted every 5 seconds by calls. People wanted to know if they had the TPs in stock. There was even 10 people standing around the TP display. They were waiting for them to unload the truck.

One guy didn't even know what it was, but his son told him that he needed one.

What was completely disheartening, was that one of the associated told me that she can't beleive that anyone would want to by a tablet that had no apps. I had to correct her. She didn't believe me. Oh well.
    The apps argument is the non geek argument of "dual core processor" or overclocking. If a phone today isn't dual core, its DOA. Even if you use 5 apps, if it doest have 300,000 available, its stupid.
    kjb86, Typo Lad and 11B1P like this.
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DS_Palm_Lvr View Post
    This is funny and tragic.
    What is quite revealing is how important good reviews on the internet are these days. If you think that the only way anyone would know about the touchpad firesale is online tech blogs or slick deals.

If the touchpad launched with rave reviews from everyone who touched it, and it got online traffic, you would have lines from day 1 probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by brdl04 View Post
    The apps argument is the non geek argument of "dual core processor" or overclocking. If a phone today isn't dual core, its DOA. Even if you use 5 apps, if it doest have 300,000 available, its stupid.
    And to most of the sheep, it seems to be better if you have to pay for an app to access a website than to just use a flash-enabled browser to access it for free!
    k4ever likes this.
    What is quite revealing is how important good reviews on the internet are these days. If you think that the only way anyone would know about the touchpad firesale is online tech blogs or slick deals.

If the touchpad launched with rave reviews from everyone who touched it, and it got online traffic, you would have lines from day 1 probably.
    I'm mildly surprised something with lukewarm reviews and sketchy future support got so many of Joe Public out there with their $$, even with the deep discount.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I would love to have your avatar as a wallpaper on my TP.
    I love this stuff! touchpad has gotten super popular now.
    retroblu likes this.
    With millions of people (it can't be repeated enough that if Best Buy really got 275,000 units, they must have produced millions in total) now in touch with webOS, you'll start seeing a lot of people who wouldn't want to go back to less user-friendly systems with lesser user experiences.

Predicting announcements from HP and/or the individual licensees within the next two weeks.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    I hope so! HTC webOs phones or some crazy stuff
    I never even heard of the HP touchpad till about a month ago when my mom told me about it. She is an avid HP fan and was all excited about its release. Later that week I found out it was already released and read reviews so reviews and the WebOS scared me away. I never told her and she never found out. In fact she never saw any ADs untill after the fire sale and shes is an avid TV / Internet Show watcher. Need less to say we have a few on the way from different sources. She is so excited! Im very happy for her and cant wait for her to get her hands on one. This just shows that people who wanted one or may have if they knew it existed would of bought one. Sunday at Bestbuy I was in the front of the line of about 20 people. A few in there didnt even know what it was just wanted it. One guy wanted it just because he heard about putting Android on it. It was so sad when BB told everyone they were out. People looked so sad.

Anyways Go MOM!
    Just called a local BestBuy and as soon as the automated system answers, the first thing you are told is that the TouchPad is sold out. Damn... if HP had only done a promo like this to start the ball rolling, it would be a different situation right now.
    geewhiz likes this.
    As much as I understand you guys argument that app number isn't everything, the TouchPad app selection is pretty dismal.

Sure KalemSoft has awesome movie player and there are emulators and wIRC and other great apps on Preware and catalogue but it is still a fact that iOS/iPad has more apps that makes it more usable and versatile.

Saying it has "no apps" is just wrong and biased but you guys also gotta admit that it lacks the app selection it needs to appeal to wider range of tablet users. Doesn't mean that TouchPad isn't fit for anyone or that iPad is, it just lacks on certain places.
    I've said this in another, similar, thread . . Someone should send an email with a link to this thread to the top five shareholders of HP.
    sledge007 and Kujila like this.

What's important is to have a complete product on day 1. This isn't the little leagues where you get a trophy for just showing up. The reviews didn't kill the touchpad - webOS 3.0 did. It wasn't ready.

If you cling to the belief that the reviews are what did the TP in, you're in denial.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    And to most of the sheep, it seems to be better if you have to pay for an app to access a website than to just use a flash-enabled browser to access it for free!
    What apps are you talking about?
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Maybe not a dumb move by HP? Lose all this money on hardware, endear the population to WebOs by selling EVERY UNIT PRODUCED in a week, let other manufacturers pay YOU to put it on THEIR expensive, troublesome hardware!

Money in the bank. Money.
    Typo Lad likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast