Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    What if HP put out a notice 2 weeks before the release of the touchpad that the introductory price would be $99 for a limited time..... You would get this firesale type mentality at the beginning of any huge product launch...
    retroblu likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnipeUout View Post
    She is an avid HP fan
    Such a person exists?

You didn't just blow my mind - you blew my soul.
    retroblu likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnipeUout View Post
    I never even heard of the HP touchpad till about a month ago when my mom told me about it. She is an avid HP fan and was all excited about its release...In fact she never saw any ADs untill after the fire sale and shes is an avid TV / Internet Show watcher...
    Sound's like your mom wasn't a member of this forum or even a regular visitor to precentral.net. Otherwise she'd have known about what went down this weekend. Heck, she'd have know about the double-dip discount two weeks ago where HP gave a $100 instant rebate and Staples left another $100 on the table to boot, making the 16GB only $300.

I hope she's following precentral now.
    Quote Originally Posted by brdl04 View Post
    What if HP put out a notice 2 weeks before the release of the touchpad that the introductory price would be $99 for a limited time..... You would get this firesale type mentality at the beginning of any huge product launch...

You know, I think there may be something to that. Just maybe.

We see it all the time with new product launches by fast food chains. McDonald's will come out with some new sandwich and test the waters first by selling it at a low pricepoint "Limited Time Only". Then yank it from the menu just long enough to evaluate all the sales data they collected and narrow down a permenant retail price. Then two months later - Boom! It's a regular fixture on the menu board at regular price, and people are buying it.

I don't know if that food chain retail logic translates to retail sales though. Somethign tells me it may not.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dong1225 View Post
    As much as I understand you guys argument that app number isn't everything, the TouchPad app selection is pretty dismal.

Sure KalemSoft has awesome movie player and there are emulators and wIRC and other great apps on Preware and catalogue but it is still a fact that iOS/iPad has more apps that makes it more usable and versatile.

Saying it has "no apps" is just wrong and biased but you guys also gotta admit that it lacks the app selection it needs to appeal to wider range of tablet users. Doesn't mean that TouchPad isn't fit for anyone or that iPad is, it just lacks on certain places.
    People still say the same thing about Android tablets and to a point they are right.
    Keep in mind that the tablet is new, and there are going to be 100s of thousands of them in the hands of consumers.
    People are going to develop for it, there just wont be 1340 fart apps.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    You know, I think there may be something to that. Just maybe.

We see it all the time with new product launches by fast food chains. McDonald's will come out with some new sandwich and test the waters first by selling it at a low pricepoint "Limited Time Only". Then yank it from the menu just long enough to evaluate all the sales data they collected and narrow down a permenant retail price. Then two months later - Boom! It's a regular fixture on the menu board at regular price, and people are buying it.

I don't know if that food chain retail logic translates to retail sales though. Somethign tells me it may not.
    I don't think it would work the same.
    People need food to eat and many people eat at McDonalds often.
    It's not the same need or frequent purchase for tech.
    What might happen if a company tried this is the people who didn't get in on the deal might hold off on their purchase until the touchpad was cheap again or until something else came out cheap.
    Once people see something at a particular price point it they've established that price as the worth and wont buy it until the price gets back into that range.
    It could work I guess if they priced it at under $300 after the initial discount but any more than that and I think the gap is too big.
    Quote Originally Posted by dong1225 View Post
    As much as I understand you guys argument that app number isn't everything, the TouchPad app selection is pretty dismal.

Sure KalemSoft has awesome movie player and there are emulators and wIRC and other great apps on Preware and catalogue but it is still a fact that iOS/iPad has more apps that makes it more usable and versatile.

Saying it has "no apps" is just wrong and biased but you guys also gotta admit that it lacks the app selection it needs to appeal to wider range of tablet users. Doesn't mean that TouchPad isn't fit for anyone or that iPad is, it just lacks on certain places.
    Yes the Touchpad is lacking in apps, however the ones that are there are good and useful. Until Apple started running commercials about apps, no one even cared how many apps a phone or computer had. They just cared that it does what they need it to do. Now people care more about apps than does the phone/tablet do what it is needed to do. The sad part about it is that these people rarily download more than a few apps and most of those are free. I bought my wife a Pre a few months after it launched. She had it for a year and a half. She only downloaded 4 apps to it, 3 were free. My son has an Android phone. He has downloaded 20 apps to it. Most of them are to fix the UI or issues with the OS (home screen replacements, tasks killers, widgets). The rest are media players. All of them are free. I have guys in my office who have Android phones because "Android is the big thing". Their average app count is about 5 apps. Also all are free. My point is that the app craze is just that, a craze. People buy Android phones and iPhones because of the name associate with the OS. No one really buys that many apps (except for me) but they get upset if there are not hundreds of thousands available.

p.s. No one has an IPhone. Go figure..
    +1000, k4ever.

you said it!

Screw app counts. If we could just undo the brainwash that the general public has been force-fed by the iMachine...
    It really annoys me when people crack on the TouchPad app selection. I do acknowledge that is lacks variety but it definitely does not lack in quality.

Check out:
    Robotek HD (free game with dozens of levels, bonus, level-ups, etc)
    PamFax (great for sending faxes from your TP for stupid cheap rates as well as getting a free fax number, the app itself is free)
    Tanked (cross-platform tank-shooter game that supports online play against Android & iOS and it's FREE withotu ads)
    Just Draw (a Free drawing app that the developer is adding more features to consistently)
    Angry Birds HD (FREE)

Plus tons of great paid apps as well. Such as Wifi Media Sync, Glimpse, Advanced Browser.

It may be semantics but, people, get your facts straight. What our app selection needs is more variety with apps from big name developers (Netflix, yadda yadda).
    I am, therefore I think
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12