Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By satterwc
  • 1 Post By satterwc
  1.    #1  
    Well, my launch-day 32GB Touchpad is no longer mine. I took it back to Sam's Club. I asked if they would price match and the response was no, we do up to 7 days or 30 with manager approval. I said, ok, take it back and resell it to me. The manager said that their 'restock process' takes up to two days. I was ready for that and had done a secure wipe on the device this morning before I packed it all up. I pushed it across the counter and said "then, it's yours'.

Some may ask why I returned my device, when I love webOS so much. So, here's my reason: Lack of support/development from HP.

As some of you have noticed, I discovered that the HP Touchpad does not support PEAP-GTC wireless (while the iPad and Android devices do). I had been in touch with HP via HardBeatZ (thanks for your great support) and via our contact with the HP WebOS developer program. As long as there was some progress and I knew there was at least a future in the product or a chance of an OTA update fixing my lack of WiFi at work, I was fine with spending a lot for the device.

With HP killing the product, but giving it the Monty Python "I'm not dead yet, I'm feeling much better" act... $149 would be fine for a home-use only product.

I'm VERY sad at this point. I had really enjoyed being able to grab the device to look something up when watching TV, reading on the Kindle app, keeping up with email over the weekend without having to bust out the laptop, etc. With that said, It's nice having $625 back in my pocket for a dead product.
    Last edited by satterwc; 08/24/2011 at 04:21 PM.
  2.    #2  
    I have been going through massive withdrawals. I have been swiping my TV screen, my computer monitor, my dog.. my wife told me 'don't even think about it'.

Luckily, one of my co-workers ordered several TPs over the weekend and bought one from WalMart. He's a convert now. He's also selling me one of his extras and the rest are going to family members. So... I'll be back in the TP club.
    Pilot 1000 > PalmPilot Pro > Handspring Visor > Treo 700p > XV6700 > HTC-6800 > Pre- > FrankenPre2
    fwinst, kkhanmd and daffy4u like this.
    and their 2 day returns "wait time" is a good idea, made specifically to stop people abusing thir ordering system, it means the stock will go "back in the system" for someone who ordered it the right way.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    and their 2 day returns "wait time" is a good idea, made specifically to stop people abusing thir ordering system, it means the stock will go "back in the system" for someone who ordered it the right way.
    I have to disagree with your opinion here for a couple of reasons. 1) I purchased my device on release day for the full price at which they were selling the device. 2) They never offered the devices through their online site to be shipped, they were only available in-store. My device for which I was asking for price protection on, which they offer for a period of 30 days, is now used and cannot be sold to anyone else as a new device ordered the 'right way' (whatever that is supposed to mean.. I assume some sort of a snide incriminating remark about how I procured my TP). 3) I pay $100 annually to be able to shop with this organization and expect a certain level of service. They fulfilled this to the letter of their policy and did provide a refund. I was not attempting to game the system. I was simply requesting the same level of price protection I would have received if I had purchased the product from HP directly.

Thanks for trolling me though.. I was feeling a little too euphoric about having my wonderful Touchpad again, and knowing that there is a wonderful community here.
    Pilot 1000 > PalmPilot Pro > Handspring Visor > Treo 700p > XV6700 > HTC-6800 > Pre- > FrankenPre2
    tayswg20 likes this.