Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes
  1.    #1  
    So the TP is extremely nice aesthetically. The webOS is very user friendly which is a plus. The things that I find utterly ridiculous are that it will only Bluetooth pair with other webOS devices, and for the most part, will only recognize HP printers. Is this some type of joke? I might have missed a thread but everything that I have read supports this. I feel like I am using a crapple product the way they restrict this. The only light is someone porting android which I hope happens soon. Since I only paid $160 I am not too worried but had I paid $5-600+ I would be extremely ****ed off.
    Nice way to introduce yourself,

And i think thats a good thing that you can only use HP printers and other webOS devices i guess im all good i have HP printers and a pixi plus running 2.1
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Only pair to other webOS devices? It has an option to find other webOS devices, but I doubt it is limited to that. What are you trying to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DegreesLower View Post
    So the TP is extremely nice aesthetically. The webOS is very user friendly which is a plus. The things that I find utterly ridiculous are that it will only Bluetooth pair with other webOS devices, and for the most part, will only recognize HP printers. Is this some type of joke? I might have missed a thread but everything that I have read supports this. I feel like I am using a crapple product the way they restrict this. The only light is someone porting android which I hope happens soon. Since I only paid $160 I am not too worried but had I paid $5-600+ I would be extremely ****ed off.
    Hello.
    At the time, they were trying to sell HP hardware and also tie it to the rest of the company so that strategy made sense as well as the accessories.
    I feel for your disappointment and it pales in magnitude to the many members of this forum who have no more HP webOS hardware to look forward to and are uncertain as to the future of this platform.

If you are disappointed, you can always give it to someone who likes webOS and buy a tablet running android.
    all of those where known features/limits and should be considered BEFORE purchase.

welcome to precentral, too.
    bevcraw, retroblu, huub and 3 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 74sickness View Post
    Nice way to introduce yourself,

And i think thats a good thing that you can only use HP printers and other webOS devices i guess im all good i have HP printers and a pixi plus running 2.1
    Why would it ever be a good thing to only print to an HP printer? Say you're travelling and at a hotel's business center to print some documents... Do you really want to guess that hopefully they'll have HP printers so that you don't need to bring your laptop? Or maybe at work, can you say with certainty that every job you ever work at, your company will buy HP printers?

There are these standard printing protocols for a reason, and for HP to have locked out non-HP printers is still ridiculous, I've been saying this for a long time.

They were trying to use the Touchpad (a product few bought before they discontinued it) to force people to buy HP printers, when they should have tried to use broad printer compatibility to convince people to buy Touchpads.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Only pair to other webOS devices? It has an option to find other webOS devices, but I doubt it is limited to that. What are you trying to do?

I tried to pair with my Motorola Atrix as well as my Epson printer through Bluetooth and WiFi. It failed to recognize either.
    HP was trying to develop an ecosystem so that all their products worked together. It would be nice if there could be a patch to fix that, I'd like it work with other phones when my poor pre- finally kicks the bucket.

Then again reading the full specs on a product is always a good thing to do before purchasing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Why would it ever be a good thing to only print to an HP printer? Say you're travelling and at a hotel's business center to print some documents... Do you really want to guess that hopefully they'll have HP printers so that you don't need to bring your laptop? Or maybe at work, can you say with certainty that every job you ever work at, your company will buy HP printers?

There are these standard printing protocols for a reason, and for HP to have locked out non-HP printers is still ridiculous, I've been saying this for a long time.

They were trying to use the Touchpad (a product few bought before they discontinued it) to force people to buy HP printers, when they should have tried to use broad printer compatibility to convince people to buy Touchpads.
    Thats a good point well i guess you are right.
    I would love the text sharing feature if there were any webos 2.2 phones out there, but since there aren't, I feel your disappointment. I'm hoping that internalz will have a solution to this, at some point, as I don't think there are physical restrictions around this feature.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Hello.
    At the time, they were trying to sell HP hardware and also tie it to the rest of the company so that strategy made sense as well as the accessories.
    I feel for your disappointment and it pales in magnitude to the many members of this forum who have no more HP webOS hardware to look forward to and are uncertain as to the future of this platform.

If you are disappointed, you can always give it to someone who likes webOS and buy a tablet running android.

Don't get me wrong, I think the OS is extremely nice thus far. Just can't believe they didn't open it up a little more. I am 100% sure it would have helped sales, but guess that doesn't matter anymore.

I read a couple things that said the OS will continue getting developed. Was that people just hoping for the best?
    I was able to pair the TP with my EVO 3D and my car..
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DegreesLower View Post

I read a couple things that said the OS will continue getting developed. Was that people just hoping for the best?
    In an interview today, Stephen DeWitt continues to say that webOS will continue to be supported.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    In an interview today, Stephen DeWitt continues to say that webOS will continue to be supported.
    Link, you Modness?
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    What is that really worth? If you'd asked him last thursday afternoon if HP was going to continue making WebOS hardware, he would have laughed at you and said "don't be stupid" - recent history has taught us that anyone in the WebOS unit is kept in the dark about anything important.

I'm sure that the bare minimum to meet their contractual requirements will be done but unless someone comes in quick with licensing, it's just money down the drain.

The only realistic answer that can be given to people is -

HP says that it will continue to support WebOS and develop it but HP says a lot of things and then doesn't always do them. If you buy a fire-sale touchpad (like I have done), then you should see support as a bonus not something that you can rely on. It's a great device for $99.
    Last edited by CGK; 08/22/2011 at 02:16 PM.
    reggieb likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Typo Lad View Post
    Link, you Modness?
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...ml#post3086403
    HP says a lot of things but their actions are very much the definition of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing.

Hewlett-Packard Co. unveiled a new desktop computer Monday, just days after the technology company disclosed plans to sell or spin off its personal-computer business.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    HP says a lot of things but their actions are very much the definition of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing.
    Didn't they release a new TouchPad on Thursday?
    I ordered one off B&N this morning -- is it true I won't be able to pair my BT headphone to the Touchpad ???

that would be an insane "feature"
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    all of those where known features/limits and should be considered BEFORE purchase.

welcome to precentral, too.

Didn't have time to research it, was kind of an impulse buy at $160 and going fast.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast