Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree46Likes
    I read that thread, and I saw that people were able to get it to work with non-HP printers, and I also saw that people who were able to bypass the filtering either got blank pages or completely black pages to print out, even if it was an HP non-supported printer. So maybe HP isn't filtering printers just to be a jerk about it; maybe they are filtering printers because they won't work with the Touchpad's HP PCL driver.

And I'm still going to try this. I have some Sharp and Ricoh PCL network printers that don't have a USB port (you know, business printers), so I don't see how they would report their identification via that method.
    Last edited by Syndil; 08/24/2011 at 04:37 PM.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Apple products don't have problems, the users are the problems.
    or they're just holding it wrong *rolls eyes*
    Hey, whatever reason you want to give them, fine, but when there's a flag "knownHP: false" and it doesn't actually ever check for actual capabilities other than confirming that yes PCL and IPP (internet printing protocol) are supported, then to me, that's the definition of an artificial filter.

As for people claiming it works on non-HP printers in that thread, I take as much stock in that as I do in people claiming SMS sharing on the Pre 2 works... Aka complete disbelief, since I know it to be false.

And the only people getting completely black pages are using HP printers, that has nothing to do with trying to work around the filters.
    How about you all just accept the fact that HP said that the tablet would work with HP printers. And never said anything about other printers. So you bought EXACTLY WHAT THEY SOLD!!!! Every computing device can do things that are not sold/built in. Just deal with it and let this thread die.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I don't get why he'd complain anyway. I'm not sure of this, but can Android tabs even link to their phones? I didn't think they could. So he's mad that WebOS Innovations don't improve his Android device! I'm so lost.......
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Funny how so many people were complaining of it feeling cheap, and "plasticky". Glad you like it. Hope I get a retro kick back on the price, and find another one. Impossible today to get through anywhere for me.
    I paid $500, plus another $200 with accessories and tax, and yeah, I loved my TP. But it has a cheap and plasticky exterior. You take the good with the bad.

Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    There are a couple of these, "the touchpad can't do . . . ?" threads popping up from new TouchPad owners. Its a product that has only been around for almost 2 months. Was the iPad perfect when it was released, or did it take a few months to iron out the wrinkles?

any launch day iPad users out there? I'd like to know.
    Who cares? Most people hear criticize the iPad endlessly. Even at $100, people can air their grievances, and ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikholaspappas View Post
    This is ridiculous. HP was trying to make all there devices work together. Since they developed the hardware and software and wanted to make there own eco-system, I dont see what the problem is. You cannot even charge a non apple product with an iphone cable. I cant plug my Evo Shift in to my buddies Atrix Dock.

HP Can(could) Control there stuff. I didnt expect them to test every other manufactures printer and phone and headset and keyboard.

HP is somewhere in between the tight fist of apple, and the hodge-podge of android. I paid 500$ for my pre ordered touchpad, and I new full well going in to it that if I wanted to sync with a phone, it would have to be webOS. And HP said that it would work with HP printers. So this is THE ONE AREA HP DIDN'T BREAK ITS PROMISE!!!! I really cant complain
    You might not be able to use docks, because of different external dimensions, but the TP, and most Android handsets in use today all use the same chargers, for example. Stop defending faults as if they are a feature. They aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Guys, I'm no tablet expert, but seems to me that you should be grateful the Touchpad can print to ANY printers, even if they are just HP printers.

In order to print to a printer, you need that printer's print driver. HP was kind enough to include HP printer drivers on their Touchpad. I don't think any other tablet manufacturers include printer drivers with their tablets. iPads will print to AirPrint-enabled printers (anyone own one?), and Android can print via Google's Cloud Print service (an online service that uses Gmail), but as far as having actual printer drivers right there on the tablet, I think the Touchpad is unique.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    With all do respect, please research the device before you buy it. Printing and bluetooth paring is sated very clearly on the HP site and reviews. This is an HP webOS device and was advertised as one. It is not open sourced like android. HP wanted to create an HP ecosystem which falls inline with their decisions made in regards to printing and bluetooth pairing for phone calls and SMS.

webOS is a much more structured OS than android, which creates some limitations. If you are not satisfied with the device, i am sure many will take it off your hands for you.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    It sounds like you bought this device without researching it. Once again, there are limitations and all of them are stated clearly on the official website. HP wanted to keep webOS within their own created ecosystem. maybe expansion of non HP devices was talked about for later development but for now this is how it is.

Seems to me this tablet could have been free and people would still be complaining about it.
    I did TONS of research on the TP, and even owned it, and I didn't know this. Get over it. You can miss things. Nobody's perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yeah I know HP invented it. Considering I'm using a universal driver on my PC, you'd think one would work on the Touchpad. And like I said, it's not that it doesn't work, it's that HP is actively filtering to only work on HP printers. It's not like when you buy an HP PC you can only use an HP printer...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Are you sure it's filtering as you state? The only thing I've read is that it automatically recognizes HP printers. There is a spot on the printer set up that allows you to put in an IP address, and give the printer a name. I would like to hear from someone that has a networked printer that is PCL compatible to find if that works. I suspect it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You don't even have to lie to it, you simply fill out two fields following the prompt:

To add a printer, enter teh IP address and give it a name
    Enter Printer IP address ||| Name Printer

Unfortunately, I don't have a non-HP PCL printer, so I can't test it.
    I am going to have to test it as soon as I can replace my TP, I am curious about this now. I have an Epson that should be compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikholaspappas View Post
    How about you all just accept the fact that HP said that the tablet would work with HP printers. And never said anything about other printers. So you bought EXACTLY WHAT THEY SOLD!!!! Every computing device can do things that are not sold/built in. Just deal with it and let this thread die.
    Alright, this is such a general trend on this web site, and it is so annoying. Guess what? Consumer gripes are OK. If everyone had this attitude, there would be no progress in any product line ever. There wouldn't have to be. Even at $100, what's the harm in discussing the faults of a device? Especially a user that praised the device, said they like it, but have 1 gripe. Geez.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    The Touchpad has a number of limitations and/or absent apps that need fixing (and in all likelihood will never get fixed). Nevetheless, I was still happy with it at the previous price point. For all that it can do, however, its an unbelievable deal for $160, and am not sure why anyone who bought it at that price would complain. Heck, the wifi Kindle costs $139 and it only allows one to read books. Be thankful you were able to get hold of one.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DegreesLower View Post
    I actually got a hold of two. Like I said before, I am extremely happy with the quality of the TP. The fit, finish and solidness of this piece are incredible. I just think its ridiculous when companies restrict the full use of devices. All companies are guilty of it, but limiting printers you can connect to is going a little far IMO.
    Guys, glad to hear you like your TPs. One thing you will learn if you spend a lot of time here, is that even for those of us that spent full price on launch day, if we didn't pretend that the TP was a gift handed down from God by the Archangel Michael himself with no faults, and it came with unicorns and rainbows, and gave you a job, and printed money, and did everything that you could ever imagine, if we didn't say that then we were idiots that should go and buy an iPad/Android tablet.

Some people were able to accept faults along with the good. And I don't mind the occasional gripe. Some people are unrealistically negative, but you aren't. Welcome to the board, sorry you are having some trouble with your TP, but I am glad you are liking the device so far. It's a great tablet, even if it does have some faults. (Which it does, and yes P|C users, even for $100, the faults are still there - just a whole lot easier to swallow)
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Well, for the most part, I don't think people are griping that it's not doing something that it should and *** this is a piece of crap.

The thing is: it seems like it's doing something just to do it (filtering for an HP printer). It is possible that it flat out won't work, but there are signs that it's just a way to lock people in to the manufacturer.

Besides, wouldn't it be cool if we could get it to print to other printers? I'm not buying a new printer just for this. But it would be great if we could get it to work. That's what forums are about, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    So maybe HP isn't filtering printers just to be a jerk about it; maybe they are filtering printers because they won't work with the Touchpad's HP PCL driver.
    It could also be that they're filtering printers to include only those that they know will work. Some might, but if they didn't have any to test with, they probably erred on the cautious side to avoid "printing with my TouchPad looks like crap" customer support calls.

I've tried the "Add a printer by IP address" method and it didn't work with my non-HP networked laser printer that does support PCL6.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    It could also be that they're filtering printers to include only those that they know will work. Some might, but if they didn't have any to test with, they probably erred on the cautious side to avoid "printing with my TouchPad looks like crap" customer support calls.
    Probably true.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    so if they can artificially filter, can the homebrew devs work around it or remove it?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345