Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DegreesLower View Post
    the most part, will only recognize HP printers. Is this some type of joke?
    No it's not a joke. Writing printer drivers/rasterizing engines is not a trivial task. Every printer maker has their own printer language and this varies even within the same vendor (laserjet vs inkjet, different feature sets, etc.). Even a monster ecosystem like MS Windows has missing drivers for printers that are too new or too old for the OS version being used. Be glad it stops you from printing to non HP printers, otherwise your printer might spit out 100 pages of garbage characters...
    Last edited by Johncase3; 08/24/2011 at 01:16 PM.
    Page Plus Cellular - Talk Smart
    Palm M100 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755P > Palm Pro > Palm Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    There's a standard called PCL that most networked printers support, and which HP uses to print on the Touchpad. Basically, a printer driver sends commands to the printer using PCL, and that's how it prints. So any networked printer can often work with a generic PCL driver. The Touchpad uses PCL, but artificially filters to only support HP printers. If it just didn't work, that'd be one thing, but having it filter is ridiculous.
    PCL-enabled printers still require a printer-specific PCL driver. HP has created a universal print driver that works with many of the printers--which is probably the driver that was ported to webOS--but you can't blame them for not putting in the effort to make sure it works with other manufacturers' printers.

You could always lie to the Touchpad and tell it whatever printer you are trying to print to is an HP printer and see if the universal driver will work.

Oh, and HP invented PCL. :P
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    PCL-enabled printers still require a printer-specific PCL driver. HP has created a universal print driver that works with many of the printers--which is probably the driver that was ported to webOS--but you can't blame them for not putting in the effort to make sure it works with other manufacturers' printers.

You could always lie to the Touchpad and tell it whatever printer you are trying to print to is an HP printer and see if the universal driver will work.

Oh, and HP invented PCL. :P
    Yeah I know HP invented it. Considering I'm using a universal driver on my PC, you'd think one would work on the Touchpad. And like I said, it's not that it doesn't work, it's that HP is actively filtering to only work on HP printers. It's not like when you buy an HP PC you can only use an HP printer...
    And like I said, it's not that it doesn't work, it's that HP is actively filtering to only work on HP printers.
    They are probably doing this for liability reasons. If you used HP's universal driver (that was written to work specifically with HP printers) to print to another manufacturer's printer, if it screwed up and somehow damaged that printer, HP might be sued.

This kind of complaining is exactly what we heard when Windows Vista came out, too. People were bashing the OS up and down because their old hardware would not work with Vista. The thing is, SOMEONE has to write the drivers for any new OS. HP gave us HP printer drivers. No surprise. If you want Epson or Kodak or whatever printer drivers on your HP webOS device, write Epson or Kodak or whoever and ask them to make them, or wait for a third-party developer to do so.

This is not HP purposely crippling the Touchpad, this is SOP.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    PCL-enabled printers still require a printer-specific PCL driver.
    I don't think that's correct. I use generic PCL output from Linux to my Samsung laser printer (which understands PCL6).

Now maybe if you want to access special features of the printer you need a printer-specific driver, but basic single-sided full-page printing seems to work fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbf123 View Post
    I don't think that's correct. I use generic PCL output from Linux to my Samsung laser printer (which understands PCL6).

Now maybe if you want to access special features of the printer you need a printer-specific driver, but basic single-sided full-page printing seems to work fine.
    I'm no expert on printer protocols, but I have several network printers, and they each have their own PCL6 driver. There were several drivers to choose from for each printer--PCL5, PCL6 and PS.

You may be right. A generic PCL driver may work with standard printing, but the printer-specific drivers may be required to access other features of the printer. If that is the case, then you should be able to lie to the Touchpad and use HP's universal PCL driver to print to any printer.

I haven't got a Touchpad in my hands yet so I have no idea how the printing setup works, but if it's anything like Windows, when you are setting up the printer, just select something basic like an HP PSC 950. That should get you basic printing functionality, if nothing else.

But AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $is$ $no$ $generic$, $unbranded$ $PCL$ $driver$ $for$ $Windows$. $When$ $I$ $look$ $under$ &$quot$;$generic$&$quot$; $drivers$, $I$ $can$ $find$ $one$ $that$ $says$ &$quot$;$text$ $only$&$quot$; $but$ $none$ $that$ $mention$ $PCL$.

And again, even if a generic, unbranded PCL driver exists, HP may have decided not to include it for liability reasons. If printers all worked using a standardized and universally accepted driver, manufacturers wouldn't bother writing their own drivers. Obviously we are not there yet.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Actually, there are standard protocols for both. The calling one is done because the Pre just sees the Touchpad as a standard Bluetooth headset.

And I suspect that SMS is done via the Message Access Protocol, which is supported on the Touchpad, but not on the Pre, Pre 2, or Veer (which still can't share SMS messages).
    Where are you guys getting this bad information??? Most of this is not true at all. The Pre2 and Veer pair with the TP and share SMS with no trouble. I have SMS txts and skype msgs in the notification bar on my TP right now.

Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    I would love the text sharing feature if there were any webos 2.2 phones out there, but since there aren't, I feel your disappointment. I'm hoping that internalz will have a solution to this, at some point, as I don't think there are physical restrictions around this feature.
    WebOS 2.1 and up is more likely. Pre2, Veer, and Pre3 can share txts.

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    HP says a lot of things but their actions are very much the definition of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing.
    I think you're reading their press releases and viewing their moves out of context. It makes perfect sense that if they're going to be SPINNING OFF their PC division, NOT scrapping it, that they continue business as usual until they complete what is the opposite of an acquisition.

Additionally, it's already been demonstrated that HP had no intention of telling us yet that they were going to be closing the webos hardware division until after they found a suitable hardware licensee. The leaked news rushed their hand and the fire sale began.

None of this indicates to me that HP is going to abandon the webos software. After all, Leo said he wants HP to become a software and services company. Where does that imply they're ditching the webos software? I think it's only the scaremongering media/blogs spouting this (and people who repeat what they say, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahDG View Post
    Where are you guys getting this bad information??? Most of this is not true at all. The Pre2 and Veer pair with the TP and share SMS with no trouble. I have SMS txts and skype msgs in the notification bar on my TP right now.

WebOS 2.1 and up is more likely. Pre2, Veer, and Pre3 can share txts.
    Wow, you must be the only one then. I want your Pre 2. I have a Pre 2 in my hand, and a Veer in my hand, and neither shares SMS with my Touchpad. AIM, Yahoo, Skype, Gtalk all work fine, but SMS doesn't share to the Touchpad without 2.2, which only the Pre 3 has.
    I haven't got a Touchpad in my hands yet so I have no idea how the printing setup works,
    No offense, but yeah, that's obvious from your post. Touchpad printer setup works nothing like this. And if you check the long "Printing on the Touchpad" thread, you can log messages where it specifically tries to detect if it's an HP printer, and if it's not it flags something so it won't even try.
    Why would it ever be a good thing to only print to an HP printer? Say you're travelling and at a hotel's business center to print some documents... Do you really want to guess that hopefully they'll have HP printers so that you don't need to bring your laptop? Or maybe at work, can you say with certainty that every job you ever work at, your company will buy HP printers?

There are these standard printing protocols for a reason, and for HP to have locked out non-HP printers is still ridiculous, I've been saying this for a long time.

They were trying to use the Touchpad (a product few bought before they discontinued it) to force people to buy HP printers, when they should have tried to use broad printer compatibility to convince people to buy Touchpads.
    I don't think they're actually locked solely to HP printers by name, but in practice very well may be. However, they are using a standard. Here's the scoop (with a little background story).

I decided to get rid of the USB printers around my house over the weekend (with part of the $450 I got back from Best Buy), and go all wireless printers. I bought two HP printers, a b&w laser printer, and a color ink jet. The Best Buy rep assured me both would work with the HP TouchPad (oops).

Got home, and both were recognized by the TP, but the laser printer would not print. I got a message on the device that it wasn't compatible (sorry, don't remember the exact wording), so I started doing a little research.

Turns out the TouchPad uses only PCL (Printer Command Language). This is a standard (though I think it is still owned by HP), but not all printers have it (including the wireless HP Laser printer I bought).

So, ensure that the printer you want to print to is:
    1. Networked
    2. PCL

BTW, my research also showed me that printing from tablets is not only something of an issue for TouchPads, but for virtually all tablets right now. For instnace, iPads only print to HP printers, and then only certain models.

Also, the notion that there is a some "standard" (besides PCL) is simply mistaken. Every printer manufacturer makes drivers for their printers to work wtih various computers. That's why when you buy a new computer, the first thing you have to do is install the proper drivers.

That said, there are some protocols that have been around long enough that they've become defacto standards, and some printer companies will default to those for some of the more basic printers.
    Last edited by hparsons; 08/24/2011 at 01:32 PM. Reason: changed wireless to networked
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Turns out the TouchPad uses only PCL (Printer Command Language). This is a standard (though I think it is still owned by HP), but not all printers have it (including the wireless HP Laser printer I bought).

So, ensure that the printer you want to print to is:
    1. Networked
    2. PCL
    I suspected exactly this. They are using their "universal" HP PCL driver on the Touchpad. Also I know that not all printers can successfully identify themselves via a network connection, so if you can connect to it by IP address, you should somehow be able to lie to the Touchpad and tell it it's an HP printer, even if it isn't.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    ...So any networked printer can often work with a generic PCL driver. The Touchpad uses PCL, but artificially filters to only support HP printers. If it just didn't work, that'd be one thing, but having it filter is ridiculous...
    Are you sure it's filtering as you state? The only thing I've read is that it automatically recognizes HP printers. There is a spot on the printer set up that allows you to put in an IP address, and give the printer a name. I would like to hear from someone that has a networked printer that is PCL compatible to find if that works. I suspect it does.
    I suspected exactly this. They are using their "universal" HP PCL driver on the Touchpad. Also I know that not all printers can successfully identify themselves via a network connection, so if you can connect to it by IP address, you should somehow be able to lie to the Touchpad and tell it it's an HP printer, even if it isn't.
    You don't even have to lie to it, you simply fill out two fields following the prompt:

To add a printer, enter teh IP address and give it a name
    Enter Printer IP address ||| Name Printer

Unfortunately, I don't have a non-HP PCL printer, so I can't test it.
    I've got plenty of non-HP PCL printers I can test it on. Just need my Touchpad to get here. :P
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I've got plenty of non-HP PCL printers I can test it on. Just need my Touchpad to get here. :P
    I'll be curious to hear. I did just see in the manual that it specifically says it will work with "all network-capable HP printers that support PCL page description language at the local LAN.". It doesn't say it won't work with others though.
    I have an HL-2170w that I can connect to via my 2 PCs wirelessly on the network. No go with the TouchPad (added IP address manually, etc.) Now, it says it has PCL 6 emulation...

I have not tried using an ethernet cable straight to the router though.
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    I have an HL-2170w that I can connect to via my 2 PCs wirelessly on the network. No go with the TouchPad (added IP address manually, etc.) Now, it says it has PCL 6 emulation...

I have not tried using an ethernet cable straight to the router though.
    Ethernet cable shouldn't make a difference. Sounds like it is being blocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahDG View Post
    You can receive skype msgs, and some folks have said their SMS transfered over on initial setup.

But nobody without a Pre3 has been able to receive and send SMS via the TP. This is because as we all know, the Pre3 launched with 2.2 which is the version needed for TTS and SMS sharing.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    you can pair the headphones, just not non webOS phones. As for only HP printers . It is a HP device and I will have to check if other tablets will print to all printers
    Yes, I am 100% positive they're filtering out non-HP printers, as verified by direct copy and paste from my messages log in the "Printing on the Touchpad" thread I mentioned.

It checks the reported manufacturer name and model of the printer, as well as what the USB port reports as its manufacturer, for some reason.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast