Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Funny how so many people were complaining of it feeling cheap, and "plasticky". Glad you like it. Hope I get a retro kick back on the price, and find another one. Impossible today to get through anywhere for me.

I have been working on performance cars for the past 13+ years. I for one know that plastics/composites are the way to go. I prefer carbon, fiberglass or a high impact plastic over metals any day of the week. While this case might or might not be a high impact plastic I don't plan on beating the hell out of it.
    Last edited by 4DegreesLower; 08/22/2011 at 03:48 PM.
    There are a couple of these, "the touchpad can't do . . . ?" threads popping up from new TouchPad owners. Its a product that has only been around for almost 2 months. Was the iPad perfect when it was released, or did it take a few months to iron out the wrinkles?

any launch day iPad users out there? I'd like to know.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    There are a couple of these, "the touchpad can't do . . . ?" threads popping up from new TouchPad owners. Its a product that has only been around for almost 2 months. Was the perfect when it was released, or did it take a few months to iron out the wrinkles?

Apple products don't have problems, the users are the problems.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    There are a couple of these, "the touchpad can't do . . . ?" threads popping up from new TouchPad owners. Its a product that has only been around for almost 2 months. Was the iPad perfect when it was released, or did it take a few months to iron out the wrinkles?

Not sure what point you are making? Bargain hunters will not be concerned what the ipad can or cannot do - they simply want to do what their rock bottom bargain basement tablet can do. Remember a lot of the people now appearing here have no interest in tablets or WebOS - simply good deals, it's unrealistic to expect them to have the level of knowledge of the average pre fire-sale member.

The community is just going to have to expect that a lot of new members are going to ask the same questions over and over - it's a natural consequence of what's happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    I ordered one off B&N this morning -- is it true I won't be able to pair my BT headphone to the Touchpad ???

that would be an insane "feature"
    Bluetooth headphones work great.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    if anyone wants to... i will take these not up to par tablets off your hands for you.. i will even do it for free.. ill pay for shipping so that you dont have to worry with them anymore...

pm me and i can help!
    This post makes no sense? Why would the TP pair to an android phone? Pairing allows sharing of call and sms messages. This is not a standard protocol, it was created by HP to share between devices.

HP cannot add this protocol to Android phones it does not control Android. Even if you could pair an Android phone, sharing phone and sms would be impossible.
    While I agree it is smart to open standards up so people have more choices, it's unrealistic to expect certain OS features to not be exclusive within that given ecosystem.

Heck, the last time I checked you can't sync a non-iOS devices natively to iTunes?
    iOS airprin is also exclusive to HP wireless e-print printers...Sure other printer manufacturers can make apps to accomplish the same thing but natively it only works on HP printers.

Just a couple examples.

And while Google distributes Android they are, as of now, not a hardware + software mobile ecosystem, hence why lots of features of Android can be universal on different hardware.
    I am, therefore I think
    nikholaspappas likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    This post makes no sense? Why would the TP pair to an android phone? Pairing allows sharing of call and sms messages. This is not a standard protocol, it was created by HP to share between devices.

HP cannot add this protocol to Android phones it does not control Android. Even if you could pair an Android phone, sharing phone and sms would be impossible.
    Actually, there are standard protocols for both. The calling one is done because the Pre just sees the Touchpad as a standard Bluetooth headset.

And I suspect that SMS is done via the Message Access Protocol, which is supported on the Touchpad, but not on the Pre, Pre 2, or Veer (which still can't share SMS messages).
    This is ridiculous. HP was trying to make all there devices work together. Since they developed the hardware and software and wanted to make there own eco-system, I dont see what the problem is. You cannot even charge a non apple product with an iphone cable. I cant plug my Evo Shift in to my buddies Atrix Dock.

HP Can(could) Control there stuff. I didnt expect them to test every other manufactures printer and phone and headset and keyboard.

HP is somewhere in between the tight fist of apple, and the hodge-podge of android. I paid 500$ for my pre ordered touchpad, and I new full well going in to it that if I wanted to sync with a phone, it would have to be webOS. And HP said that it would work with HP printers. So this is THE ONE AREA HP DIDN'T BREAK ITS PROMISE!!!! I really cant complain
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    OK - I am ultra new to this game. I have stalked the Pre3 for months and it looks like I will never see one. I have always loved the Palm OS and thought I would get a TouchPad when they came out. Fortunately I was able to hold out for the coincidental fire sale.

I bought 4 at Sam's Club Saturday morning - I gave two to my kids - 3 and 5 yrs old and one to my dad. I kept one for myself and have already decided that without 3G or 4G access it is pretty useless. I tried to pair to my home printer and no chance as it is a Brother.

The kids like a few of the very limited children applications.

So I got a great deal and will basically make movie players out of them for the kids.

I agree that the quality is OS is outstanding but with very limited applications and no carrier connectivity I see no future for it unless you can load another OS on it.

I love Palm but there really isn't anything to do with these things in the real world.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Actually, there are standard protocols for both. The calling one is done because the Pre just sees the Touchpad as a standard Bluetooth headset.

And I suspect that SMS is done via the Message Access Protocol, which is supported on the Touchpad, but not on the Pre, Pre 2, or Veer (which still can't share SMS messages).
    Are you sure the Pre 2 doesn't support SMS? Cuz I'm pretty sure I got my unlocked Pre 2 to pair with my TP and was able to receive an SMS while using the TP.
    I am, therefore I think
    Quote Originally Posted by dhh1 View Post
    OK - I am ultra new to this game. I have stalked the Pre3 for months and it looks like I will never see one. I have always loved the Palm OS and thought I would get a TouchPad when they came out. Fortunately I was able to hold out for the coincidental fire sale.

I bought 4 at Sam's Club Saturday morning - I gave two to my kids - 3 and 5 yrs old and one to my dad. I kept one for myself and have already decided that without 3G or 4G access it is pretty useless. I tried to pair to my home printer and no chance as it is a Brother.

The kids like a few of the very limited children applications.

So I got a great deal and will basically make movie players out of them for the kids.

I agree that the quality is OS is outstanding but with very limited applications and no carrier connectivity I see no future for it unless you can load another OS on it.

I love Palm but there really isn't anything to do with these things in the real world.
    If you really want a Pre 3, it's not impossible to get. Search the forums, people have been ordering Pre 3s to be shipped here to the States.

If you own a smartphone, it is very simple to turn it into a mobile hotspot, carrier authorized or not. Most unlocked devices support it, most carrier-tied Android devices don't but rooting it overcomes this easy enough. Same with iPhone, jailbreak it and voila.

The app selection does lack variety but there are lots of quality apps. Also, a lot of content people are so used to accessing through apps works great in the browser.

Like Netflix; after the whole pricing inflation thing happened I decided to cancel my subscription. Now I just go to websites that use flash players where I can view the latest TV shows and movies for free and it also works flawlessly--I'm not even embellishing.

There are solutions out there, people are just used to following the easiest route available. The way I see it, if you want the conveniences and entertainment the latest gagdets offer, why can't you spend a few minutes here and there exploring your options and making informed decisions instead of relying on people to bring the content to you?
    I am, therefore I think
    Guys, I'm no tablet expert, but seems to me that you should be grateful the Touchpad can print to ANY printers, even if they are just HP printers.

In order to print to a printer, you need that printer's print driver. HP was kind enough to include HP printer drivers on their Touchpad. I don't think any other tablet manufacturers include printer drivers with their tablets. iPads will print to AirPrint-enabled printers (anyone own one?), and Android can print via Google's Cloud Print service (an online service that uses Gmail), but as far as having actual printer drivers right there on the tablet, I think the Touchpad is unique.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Guys, I'm no tablet expert, but seems to me that you should be grateful the Touchpad can print to ANY printers, even if they are just HP printers.

In order to print to a printer, you need that printer's print driver. HP was kind enough to include HP printer drivers on their Touchpad. I don't think any other tablet manufacturers include printer drivers with their tablets. iPads will print to AirPrint-enabled printers (anyone own one?), and Android can print via Google's Cloud Print service (an online service that uses Gmail), but as far as having actual printer drivers right there on the tablet, I think the Touchpad is unique.
    Apple's AirPrint allows it to print to, wait for it, HP printers exclusively. I agree with your post Syndil. It's so funny to me when some complain about not having time to do their homework on a product or just expecting a product to be similar to XYZ but they still made the decision to buy.

If you make the voluntary choice to purchase a product, it is your responsibility to accept it's functionality as you bought it, unless of course if it's defective. This is the beauty of a free market, seller offers products (hopefully quality products), buyer makes informed decision (again, hopefully) and there is an exchange made (usually $).
    I am, therefore I think

There is an app on Android that allows printing to a network printer via wifi or bluetooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yourdogsdead View Post
    There is an app on Android that allows printing to a network printer via wifi or bluetooth.
    There is but that is an app that someone developed, not a feature built into the OS by the manufacturer; that's the difference. As far as I know, only Apple with AirPrint has printing functionality baked into the OS.
    I am, therefore I think

There's a standard called PCL that most networked printers support, and which HP uses to print on the Touchpad. Basically, a printer driver sends commands to the printer using PCL, and that's how it prints. So any networked printer can often work with a generic PCL driver. The Touchpad uses PCL, but artificially filters to only support HP printers. If it just didn't work, that'd be one thing, but having it filter is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Are you sure the Pre 2 doesn't support SMS? Cuz I'm pretty sure I got my unlocked Pre 2 to pair with my TP and was able to receive an SMS while using the TP.
    Are you sure that those messages didn't come from your Palm Profile backup (a one-time sync)? I've got a Pre 2, and SMS forwarding does not work, nor does it for anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DegreesLower View Post
    So the TP is extremely nice aesthetically. The webOS is very user friendly which is a plus. The things that I find utterly ridiculous are that it will only Bluetooth pair with other webOS devices, and for the most part, will only recognize HP printers. Is this some type of joke? I might have missed a thread but everything that I have read supports this. I feel like I am using a crapple product the way they restrict this. The only light is someone porting android which I hope happens soon. Since I only paid $160 I am not too worried but had I paid $5-600+ I would be extremely ****ed off.
    With all do respect, please research the device before you buy it. Printing and bluetooth paring is sated very clearly on the HP site and reviews. This is an HP webOS device and was advertised as one. It is not open sourced like android. HP wanted to create an HP ecosystem which falls inline with their decisions made in regards to printing and bluetooth pairing for phone calls and SMS.

webOS is a much more structured OS than android, which creates some limitations. If you are not satisfied with the device, i am sure many will take it off your hands for you.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DegreesLower View Post
    I tried to pair with my Motorola Atrix as well as my Epson printer through Bluetooth and WiFi. It failed to recognize either.
    It sounds like you bought this device without researching it. Once again, there are limitations and all of them are stated clearly on the official website. HP wanted to keep webOS within their own created ecosystem. maybe expansion of non HP devices was talked about for later development but for now this is how it is.

Seems to me this tablet could have been free and people would still be complaining about it.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast