Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes
    Watch out for Amazon's "restocking" fee of 20%.

I gave up trying to get the retroactive price match from Amazon. (I was a pre-order, so well before the August 12th arbitrary cutoff date.) I got my e-bay purchase, requested a return from Amazon (they made a "special exception" to allow this). All the CSRs I had contact with said that my only recourse was to return it for a refund.

All went well, I got my "return has been processed" e-mail this morning. A few hours later, I got this:

Code:
    This refund is for the following item(s):

Item: HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32 GB 9.7-inch Tablet Computer
        Quantity: 1
        ASIN: B0055D66V4
        Reason for refund: Customer return

Here's the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Item Refund: $599.99
            Partial Refund Deduction: ($120.00)        

We'll apply your refund to the following payment method(s):

Credit Card [ending with XXXX]: $479.99
    At first I thought they were charging me for missing items from the box, which wasn't the case because I basically swapped the black accessory tray from the e-bay TP to the old TP box with all the accessories and manuals in their factory condition.

According to their standard return policy, open items returned after the first 30 days are subject to a 20% restocking fee (cleverly disguised as a "Partial Refund Deduction").

It took yet another customer service call for them to begrudgingly issue a "Customer good-will credit" of the remaining $120.00. Read your refund e-mails carefully. They're going to make you jump through every possible hoop.

How this is easier or cheaper for them than simply crediting customers the price difference and backcharging HP, I'll never know.
    sara.ramli likes this.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wrprice View Post
    Watch out for Amazon's "restocking" fee of 20%.

I gave up trying to get the retroactive price match from Amazon. (I was a pre-order, so well before the August 12th arbitrary cutoff date.) I got my e-bay purchase, requested a return from Amazon (they made a "special exception" to allow this). All the CSRs I had contact with said that my only recourse was to return it for a refund.

All went well, I got my "return has been processed" e-mail this morning. A few hours later, I got this:

Code:
    This refund is for the following item(s):

Item: HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32 GB 9.7-inch Tablet Computer
        Quantity: 1
        ASIN: B0055D66V4
        Reason for refund: Customer return

Here's the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Item Refund: $599.99
            Partial Refund Deduction: ($120.00)        

We'll apply your refund to the following payment method(s):

Credit Card [ending with XXXX]: $479.99
    At first I thought they were charging me for missing items from the box, which wasn't the case because I basically swapped the black accessory tray from the e-bay TP to the old TP box with all the accessories and manuals in their factory condition.

According to their standard return policy, open items returned after the first 30 days are subject to a 20% restocking fee (cleverly disguised as a "Partial Refund Deduction").

It took yet another customer service call for them to begrudgingly issue a "Customer good-will credit" of the remaining $120.00. Read your refund e-mails carefully. They're going to make you jump through every possible hoop.

How this is easier or cheaper for them than simply crediting customers the price difference and backcharging HP, I'll never know.
    Just went through the same thing after seeing my email come in from Amazon in the last hour with the "Partial Refund Deduction" of $120 and another $10.33 for shipping. Fortunately I had printed the chat transcript to a PDF from my return request chat so I knew what was promised - the CSR at that time had indicated I would be getting a "full" refund.

I kindly asked the chat CSR tonight to review the transcript if he had it available. After some waiting the CSR came back and indicated he was requesting I get the full refund, adding back the $130.33 to the refund. Whether it had to do w/ the transcript I directed him to review I don't know, but in no way did he try to avoid going the route of the full refund when asked to.

Perhaps it's an automated system rule that needs to be overruled for this special Touchpad return allowance (the same way my credit union only pays my non-network ATM fees if I report the fees even though they can see them themselves), but there were no issues. I miss the Touchpad but life goes on
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=StompAWOT;3145343]Just went through the same thing after seeing my email come in from Amazon in the last hour with the "Partial Refund Deduction" of $120 and another $10.33 for shipping. QUOTE]

I just had a similar experience, though my amounts were slightly different becasue my purchase price was $570. The resolution was pretty quick. Here's a copy of the chat:

You are now connected to Sai from Amazon.com.

Me:Hi,

I received a refund email that describes two charges:

Return Shipping Fee Refund Deduction: ($10.33)
    Partial Refund Deduction: ($114.18)

However, according to an earlier email from Amazon, this should be a full refund. Here is a copy of that complete email:

Hello Dennis,

I'm writing in regards of the HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32 GB 9.7-inch Tablet Computer, i escalated the information and you can send us back the tablet

and we will issue a full refund. You just have to click on the link below, print the label and stick it on the box.

I've created an authorized return label that may only be used for the return of this shipment. Follow the link below to print your mailing label:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/orc/rml/DVF...bosnation0e-20

If you haven't opened the package you're returning, it's okay to tape the Return Merchandise Authorization to the outside along with the mailing label.

If clicking the link doesn't work, you can also copy and paste it into your

Sai:Hello, my name is Sai. I’m sorry to hear about this. I’ll be glad to help you.

Me:Thank you. I see the entire email was too large to be pasted successfully. Do you wish to see the rest of it?

Sai:Yes. Can you hold for a minute or two while I look in to this for you?

Me:Yes, I can. Here is the rest:

your browser's address window or retype it there.

The page above contains instructions on printing your label, preparing your package for return shipment, and finding the UPS drop-off location nearest you. If you don't have a printer, write back to us to let us know:

Amazon.com*Sign In

You can track your return on its way back to us here: Amazon.com - Returns Center

Expect your refund within 4 weeks of giving your package to the return shipper. In many cases, you'll receive the refund sooner. See our Returns Policy for details (Amazon.com Help: Returns and Refunds).

We hope to see you again soon.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey...bosnation0e-20

If no, please click here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey...bosnation0e-20

Best regards,

Kathy A.

Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

=============================

Sai:Thank you, please hold on, Dennis.

I'm sorry about the delay; please give me a few more moments.

Me:No problem.

Sai:Thank you for waiting, Dennis. I've checked the email and see we've promised to issue a full refund on the item, please hold on while I issue the remaining refund.

Me:Thank you.

Sai:I've requested additional refund of $124.51 to your Credit Card. You'll see the refund in the next 2-3 business days.

Once processed, you'll be able to see the refund request here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/summar...bosnation0e-20

Me:Thank you, Sai. I appreciate your quick resolution.

Sai:You’re welcome, Dennis. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Me:No. That was all. Thank you.

Sai:Okay. Thank you for contacting Amazon. We hope to see you again. Have a great day, Dennis.

Me:Have a good day.

Sai:Thank you.

Bye,.

Me:Bye

Sai from Amazon.com has left the conversation.

So it appears Amazon will honor the full refund as promised.
    Last edited by DenDiMarco; 09/14/2011 at 06:08 AM.
    Did you all get notices when they received the return? I sent mine back last Wednesday. I sent it through the Post Office because Amazon's return labels told me the return was at my expense. Then for the next three days a UPS truck showed up at the house to pick it up (I had already sent if off through the Post office). I'm just concerned that they got it. I'm hoping I don't have to fight another fight over the 20% restocking fee, when they repeatedly told me (and others in here) that they would issue a full refund and certainly better not charge for shipping, since I shipped it at my expense.
    All for One and One for All!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Yes, I did receive a confirmation by email that they had received my return.

Update: Wed Sep 14

Today my credit card account was credited with the complete refund from Amazon, one day after Amazon sent me the email indicating that the credit would be applied.

My $280 Ebay Touchpad is running well with recommended Homebrew performance patches, so I'm happy!
    Last edited by DenDiMarco; 09/14/2011 at 04:29 PM. Reason: New info
    Well, it seems that either the post office or Amazon, lost the Touchpad I purchased on Ebay and had to mail back at my own expense. I bought the ebay one to send back to Amazon because they wouldn't price match, and the only way to get part of the difference between the fire sale price of $150 and the price I paid for it ($556), was to either return the one I had and not have any, or buy one on ebay and return that one. So I paid $270 on ebay and returned it. Then they lost it. The good news is, when I called Amazon today, for the first time I got someone who wanted to make things right. She got all the information from my USPS receipt and went ahead and credited me the $556 and the $10.95 for the return postage. Now that is good customer service. Its too bad it doesn't make up for all the crap in between or the extra $120 I was out, over the people that they did a price match with.
    All for One and One for All!
    As a final update - Amazon refunded the whole purchase price to me (I had to email them about the partial refund deduction which they then credited me for). I kept my original Touchpad and shipped them the $270 Touchpad I purchased via eBay. It's still a shame that I had to go this route (I fail to understand why Amazon would not credit the difference) but it looks increasingly worth it given how unlikely it seems that anyone is going to get a firesale Touchpad in the next round.

The Touchpad is great! If/when the Touch Inspiration rebate ($50) comes back, I'll have a 32GB Touchpad for $220. Now, if only HP could do something (anything!) that would help signal a positive future for webOS.... Oh, well, guess we'll just have to see...
    I had the same experience. I bought a $250 TouchPad, and then sent back my $599 TouchPad to Amazon. Then I got the email with the $120 "partial refund deduction".

This morning I got on chat support with Amazon. I pasted part of that email along with the previous email that said they'd give me a full refund. He replied "give me moment". I was honest and reminded them that they already refunded me about $30 for the initial price drop (although they refused to refund me a week after that when the $100 drop occurred). So he gave me "goodwill refund" of $101. I'm not sure where that number came from because it really should have been $90. I didn't argue. I'll confirm when my credit card is actually credited, but it looks like I got what I asked for.

It's still not right, but I've got a $250 TouchPad.

Someday, I hope we find out what really went on with Amazon. Meanwhile, I'm taking my business elsewhere to make a point (and I'll let Amazon know).
    My credit card has been credited with the initial refund. I'll update when the "goodwill" refund hits.
    They wouldn't price match, so I finally sent back my OG 32GB TP on Monday. But, I'm glad they didn't price match, because now I'll have a 64GB Panda for $425, a nice $175 cheaper than I paid for the OG. Plus, with the firesale pricing, I was able to get a 32GB for my wife, brother, and one friend - they all love it!

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I see pandas.
    Today I saw the "goodwill refund" of $101 hit my credit card. So I'm fully reimbursed.

To recover my pain and suffering, I'm logging all my non-Amazon purchases (movie rentals from HP movie store, books from ebooks.com, bike parts from REI, etc). I'll continue for $599 worth of purchases. I just need a public way to share this with Amazon. Any ideas?
    I had to jump through hoops to get the Full refund even after I was promised full refund by 2 different CSRs. I am waiting to see it hit my credit card but I was assured today that it will be a full refund.
    I fought with Amazon multiple days a few weeks ago. Today I get this email:

Hello,

We're writing to let you know that the manufacturer has lowered their price on the HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32 GB 9.7-Inch Tablet Computer. As a result, we've issued a refund of $409.57 for the difference in price on your Order #104-3108650-7293849.

Refunds are applied to the payment method used for the original purchase and typically complete within 2 to 3 business days. Thanks for buying this from Amazon.com. We're happy we could offer you the additional discount.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
    Amazon.com
    With this and Amazon relenting and installing A/C in their warehouses, it is really changing my opinion of them.
    I got one, too:

Hello,

We're writing to let you know that the manufacturer has lowered their price on the HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32 GB 9.7-Inch Tablet Computer. As a result, we've issued a refund of $450 for the difference in price on your Order #103-9914384-0327428.

Refunds are applied to the payment method used for the original purchase and typically complete within 2 to 3 business days. Thanks for buying this from Amazon.com. We're happy we could offer you the additional discount.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
    Amazon.com
    !!!! *bounce*
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by narcoleptic View Post

With this and Amazon relenting and installing A/C in their warehouses, it is really changing my opinion of them.
    I just got this email too (except my refund was $405.52).

I'm very happy about this; I was really ****ed off at Amazon for not matching what Best But and other retailers did.
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
    I got my $400 bucks back too! Maybe they want us to go buy a Kindle Fire with the refunds?
    I got a refund too. I may use it to buy their touchscreen kindle or a new XBOX.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by narcoleptic View Post

When did you buy your touchpad?
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Great job Amazon, thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    When did you buy your touchpad?
    July 1
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast