Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1.    #1  
    Look at this:

touchpad 16gb | eBay

Insanity - looks like the market is snatching these things up at the 250-300$+ range for the 16gb models. I'm thinking HP might have missed the liquidation "sweet spot" by just a LITTLE bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Look at this:

touchpad 16gb | eBay

Insanity - looks like the market is snatching these things up at the 250-300$+ range for the 16gb models. I'm thinking HP might have missed the liquidation "sweet spot" by just a LITTLE bit.
    It might be a disaster for some of those sellers (ratings wise) if they can't deliver. What if they ordered 20 from OnSale or from HP and their order gets cancelled or reduced and they can't deliver? They have taken the buyer's $$ but have no product to ship! Those who have posted before receiving the physical item might be in deep do-do. And it'll serve them right IMHO!
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    the sheep are over paying........there are plenty to go around.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    It might be a disaster for some of those sellers (ratings wise) if they can't deliver. What if they ordered 20 from OnSale or from HP and their order gets cancelled or reduced and they can't deliver? They have taken the buyer's $$ but have no product to ship! Those who have posted before receiving the physical item might be in deep do-do. And it'll serve them right IMHO!
    Things get canceled on eBay all the time. They'll just return the money.
    Those are some nasty ebay offers - craigslist is just as bad - but the sheer greed on ebay really ticks me off....
    Quote Originally Posted by amlodipine View Post
    Those are some nasty ebay offers - craigslist is just as bad - but the sheer greed on ebay really ticks me off....
    If someone's willing to pay it, what's wrong with a seller asking for that much? We know it's dumb to pay that much, but some people don't do their homework. Those of us who take the time to learn get the benefit of lower prices.

I'll probably be shut out, since all my tentative purchases are in limbo, but if I manage to get more than one I'm definitely selling the extra one on eBay.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
  7.    #7  
    I'm just amazed that the sales are completing at 250$+ (meaning, there's a bidder willing to pay that).

I imagine the market will be crazy flooded with these things once the various shipped touchpads start showing up this week. Maybe that'll bring the prices back down. For now at least, it's a windfall for anyone who managed to get their hands on a few touchpads.
    krisnicaj likes this.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    One thing I've learned about this country is there are plenty of greedy people, and plenty of stupid people for them to take advantage of.
    kjb86 likes this.
    I believe that you can forget that the Touchpad is available only in few countries.

To buy in a "forgeting country", only if send by other people...

For example, the Amazon don't send to Brazil...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Yeah, those parasites are doing that in Germany as well. Bought them for 99 Euros and directly put them up on ebay for 250 Euros or more.

Those are usually those people who demand managers and the like to be "social" and then they go around screwing over their neighbour. <mod delete>> parasites.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 08/23/2011 at 08:33 AM. Reason: language
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Yeah, those parasites are doing that in Germany as well. Bought them for 99 Euros and directly put them up on ebay for 250 Euros or more.
    That's the beauty of EU consumer protection - if they can't sell them, they simply send them back - it's a no-risk money making scheme. Not saying it's a good thing...
    These guys are not greedy. They are investing time and energy to be able to find and buy the products at a certain price. There is value in that and they should be rewarded for their work.

For the consumer paying more for a product and being able to get it is worth more than spending hours of the day trying to find one available for $100. Especially when it's cheaper than buying one at say Newegg where it is still $399.

Ultimately, two people are coming together voluntarily to trade two things (money and a TouchPad). No one was harmed in this transaction. The sellers are in no way, shape, or form greedy or evil.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I'd say they are a bit greedy.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefire View Post
    These guys are not greedy. They are investing time and energy to be able to find and buy the products at a certain price. There is value in that and they should be rewarded for their work.

For the consumer paying more for a product and being able to get it is worth more than spending hours of the day trying to find one available for $100. Especially when it's cheaper than buying one at say Newegg where it is still $399.

Ultimately, two people are coming together voluntarily to trade two things (money and a TouchPad). No one was harmed in this transaction. The sellers are in no way, shape, or form greedy or evil.
    if someone is buying up all the stock they can afford in order to sell it at a higher price it's greed.
  15.    #15  
    It's a pretty pure piece of capitalism, arbitrage specifically. Buy a product at a too-low price and sell to a market willing to pay more for it.

Honestly, selling things for more than you paid for it+the work you put in is the FOUNDATION by which our society operates. The whole planet was explored and conquered in search of interesting exotic products someone could purchase, take home, and sell to people for more than they paid. America was discovered by men looking for an easier trade-route to India.

A bakery can make fresh bread for pennies. They sell to a distributor for 1$ and pocket their cut, while the distributer sells it to stores for 1.50$ and pockets HIS cut, then the store sells it to you for 2.99$/loaf and pockets THEIR cut. Ultimately, the market (you), is willing to pay 2.99$/loaf for bread. Meanwhile, dozens or even hundreds of people are employed in the complex system that allows this loaf of bread to exist on a store shelf ready to be sold to you. It stands to reason that if you could get your hands on some 1$ bread from the bakery, you could sell it to people around you for close to the 2.99$ market price and pocket the difference. This is especially true if there was suddenly a massive bread shortage .

Are people really greedy there? Like it or not, without this sort of profiteering we wouldn't be sitting here even discussing this problem (we'd all be hunter gathering for ourselves in the forest).
    It just makes me sad that these people buy dozens of these to basically scam people and then I can't buy one at the sale price because of them hoarding the servers and ordering them all. And here I am just wanting to buy 1 to sit in my room and play with lol.
    I really hope no one here are buying from these hoarders.

Otherwise I'll come to whoever's buying and give them a swift kick in the mommy daddy button.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    It just makes me sad that these people buy dozens of these to basically scam people and then I can't buy one at the sale price because of them hoarding the servers and ordering them all. And here I am just wanting to buy 1 to sit in my room and play with lol.
    Oh, I understand. I'm sitting here enjoying my touchpad and know full well I'd be annoyed to all hell if I couldn't get one because of the frenzy that just occurred .

It sucks, no doubt, but it's not a "scam" or "greedy" for someone to take advantage of an arbitrage situation. 100$-150$ is below what these things are worth. It's an awesome piece of hardware for double that price. We all know it, or we wouldn't be scrambling to buy them.

At any rate, I imagine the prices will fall to near-sale amounts once all the shipped units start to hit over the next few days. We're going to have a FLOOD of these devices pretty quickly getting into the hands of users.
    untitled likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
    if someone is buying up all the stock they can afford in order to sell it at a higher price it's greed.
    If someone is complaining about the price being higher than they want to pay, it's greed (by your logic).

There is no greed involved with what these sellers are doing. It's simply analyzing the market and taking a risk. If there is value in what they are doing they will profit and if there is not value in what they are doing, they will lose money.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefire View Post
    If someone is complaining about the price being higher than they want to pay, it's greed (by your logic).

There is no greed involved with what these sellers are doing. It's simply analyzing the market and taking a risk. If there is value in what they are doing they will profit and if there is not value in what they are doing, they will lose money.
    Nah, no real risk here. Worst case they can't sell for a profit, so they return their whole stock for a full refund next week.

Heads they win, tails they don't lose. Zero risk. Total upside opprotunity. That is why so many flippers are involved here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast