Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes
    I think this is different than a "normal" business model where you buy from a supplier, apply a markup and sell to customers. These customers could have bought directly from the supplier at the same low prices if there weren't people out there scooping up the available inventory.

This is no different that the scalpers who buy up all of the tickets to a sporting event or concert and then sell them above face value. People wanting to make a quick buck without do any work is greedy.
    I think many people are sour that they havent had a chance to get the good deal. People selling on ebay ARE taking a risks. They had to pay for shipping to them and would not be able to get that back if they returned it. Also the angry people need to look at what the overhead is of selling on ebay. The selling price isnt what the seller is actually getting. Say i bought the 32gb Touchpad for $150, I would have to pay taxes and shipping on it so it would work out to around $180 depending on where you live. Then it gets put on ebay, you know you have to ship the thing so go ahead and add that in and the item has cost you around $190 or more. If it sells you have to pay ebay a percentage and then paypal a percentage if that is used. The math is rough but as you can see people are not screwing people over by selling the touchpad on ebay. Heck some of these sellers may have had there own stock from before the firesale.
    But the touchpad for a $1000.00 USD? Sorry that must be for the single 32gb.

Locally the craigslists have been popping up a lot of "rare" touchpads - averaging ~$300 a piece for the 16gb.

Those ebay bids ending within the hour are literally over double the 16gb $99 - sucks... I wonder what's going on from the buyer's point of view.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-TouchPad-...item3f0d276cdf

edit * oh man - just saw this bid spiral down the tube in a matter of a few minutes... final price $280 from 34 bids on a 16gb :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BOX-HP-T...torefresh=true
    Last edited by amlodipine; 08/22/2011 at 05:00 PM.
    My take on those that bought a cheap TouchPad to sell for profit on eBay YOU!
    It all boils down to supply and demand, simple as that. Business savy people see an opportunity to make a little bit of money and take it. If it works out for them great. Im not going to get mad at someone making a profit off of a touchpad. Now if were someone trying to profit off of hurricane victims that would be different, but thats why their are laws against that.
    Great comparison lol :P
    hahah. The comparison is valid though, the reaction towards people selling on ebay is pretty harsh.
    Quote Originally Posted by cthetford View Post
    I think this is different than a "normal" business model where you buy from a supplier, apply a markup and sell to customers. These customers could have bought directly from the supplier at the same low prices if there weren't people out there scooping up the available inventory.

This is no different that the scalpers who buy up all of the tickets to a sporting event or concert and then sell them above face value. People wanting to make a quick buck without do any work is greedy.
    THIS says it all right here. I'm done with this conversation, it's just fuelling my fire, but my views will not change, no matter how hard you try to justify. Merchants are simply that.....merchants.

I'm still trying to get the difference refunded from my launch day device and was unable to get in on the action due to being at work when all this broke out, so hopefully you can understand why I'm upset about it.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Agreed....its not capitalism its greed...
    I understand being upset, I was ticked when I missed out on the staples deal a couple of weeks ago b/c I was busy with work. What is happening is people are feeling an urgency to buy the touchpad so they can get in on this great deal. Some people get so desperate they pay more than others, it could also be that some people may think it is going to be collectable someday so they are paying more just to get it, and guess what, in 50 years they will be putting it on ebay and probably making a profit... those <<mod delete>>
    Last edited by bevcraw; 08/23/2011 at 08:34 AM. Reason: language
    Frankly, I bought 4 of the 32GB devices. 1 went to myself and 2 to family members and I sold the 4th on CL just now for $220 to recoup some of the funds (and the travel expense of driving nearly 50 miles just to find them).

I could tell some people were especially frustrated because they couldn't find one during the fire sale. They were, also, mostly whiny and lazy and acting self-entitled. They sat on their butts instead of getting up early or calling around and automatically expected me to sell it to them at cost. Quite a few even suggested I sell the 32GB model for $100 since I wasn't a "Store".

On the other hand, I had plenty of people that were happy to pay fair market value for the item and were just glad to have the chance to easily find one, without spending all day hunting them down, that was less than half the price they were a month ago.

I could have probably sold 10-15 of these at $220 with nary a complaint. It would be great if someone *does* license WebOS for an entry level tablet PC. I think they would sell like hotcakes.
    yourdiyguy likes this.
    I guarantee the only upset people are the ones that didnt get to the deal in time. Sorry guys and gals thats just life. Their are many sayings just for this type of thing, you snooze you loose, early bird gets the worm, **** or get off the pot... I could go on and on but it would get too edited.
    I think its unbelievable that last month no one wanted to buy a 16gb touchpad for $399 that was running a great OS that had an exciting future with the full resources of HP, the largest tech company in the world, behind it 110%.

however people are willing to buy the same tablet for an avg. Of $275 from resellers after HP has pretty much abandoned it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12