Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. npstup's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hello all!
    I'm am a new HP TouchPad firesale owner. I have done some searching but really haven't found an answer. I am looking to tether my 32gb TouchPad on webOS 3.0.2 to my verizon wireless blackberry storm 2 9550. This is my only option for internet connectivity on the go with my new TouchPad. I do not have a mifi or broadband device nor do I desire to add one. I currently use a program called tether to tether my blackberry to my laptop and it works extremely well. I have seen a few options but they all seem to be for tethering to webOS phones and pc's. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated!
    thank you
    Nick
  2. #2  
    Use an app called "FreeTether". Its available from the wonderful independent homebrew community called WebOS Internals.

    To get it, you'll need to get your Touchpad loaded up with Preware, which gets you access all the fabulous apps developed independently by the WebOS Internals group.

    Go to this thread to install WebOS QuickInstall on your computer:
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-v4-2-3-a.html

    Follow the directions on this thread, particularly the note about putting your touchpad in developer mode. Once WebOS Quick Install is loaded, and your touchpad is connected, find and install Preware through the QuickInstall interface. Once loaded, you can then install patches and apps either through QuickInstall on your computer, or through Preware on the Touchpad itself.

    Great stuff, these homebrewers! Don't forget to donate if you like the work they do!
  3. #3  
    My understanding is that if your phone works in "ad-hoc" mode, the Touchpad will not connect with it. It must be in "infrastructure" mode. I don't have a Blackberry and I've never used one so I don't know how you can change the mode.

    If no one in the forum can help you, you may want to ask on a Blackberry forum and then come back and share the results here.
  4. #4  
    Hey StaceyS, is there step by step info on how to use FreeTether?
    Thanks.
  5. #5  
    You cannot tether a Blackberry phone with the Touchpad, from what I've been able to determine. Freetether is programmed for WebOS and will not work on a Blackberry. I have researched this myself because I have a Touchpad and a Blackberry Bold.

    Update: I researched a little further after seeing Cantaffordit's post and PDANet is available for the Blackberry. I've not used it, but will give it a go myself. This app is not a "hotspot," but rather treats the Touchpad in this case, as a USB device. I would be careful, however, as several carriers are cracking down on tethering (Verizon and AT&T).
    Last edited by Treo Musketeers; 08/22/2011 at 03:27 PM.
    All for One and One for All!
  6. micahdg's Avatar
    Posts
    229 Posts
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyS View Post
    Use an app called "FreeTether". Its available from the wonderful independent homebrew community called WebOS Internals.

    To get it, you'll need to get your Touchpad loaded up with Preware, which gets you access all the fabulous apps developed independently by the WebOS Internals group.

    Go to this thread to install WebOS QuickInstall on your computer:
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-v4-2-3-a.html

    Follow the directions on this thread, particularly the note about putting your touchpad in developer mode. Once WebOS Quick Install is loaded, and your touchpad is connected, find and install Preware through the QuickInstall interface. Once loaded, you can then install patches and apps either through QuickInstall on your computer, or through Preware on the Touchpad itself.

    Great stuff, these homebrewers! Don't forget to donate if you like the work they do!
    This is backward, stacey. Freetether would need to be running on the internet source: the blackberry in this case. Then the touchpad would connect via the wifi signal Freetether would broadcast. Freetether doesn't work on a blackberry...
  7. #7  
    I would assume that the only way to do it would be to turn the Blackberry into a WiFi Hotspot. Of course, that assumes that there is an app for that. I don't think you can tether the TouchPad to the BB via the USB port.

    Oops - Micah beat me to it ......
  8. micahdg's Avatar
    Posts
    229 Posts
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    You cannot tether a Blackberry phone with the Touchpad, from what I've been able to determine. Freetether is programmed for WebOS and will not work on a Blackberry. I have researched this myself because I have a Touchpad and a Blackberry Bold.
    I don't know anything (positive) about blackberries but if you can get a hold of a hotspot style app for the blackberry, that would accomplish what the op is asking for.
  9. #9  
    the blackberry needs a program called PDAnet.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahDG View Post
    This is backward, stacey. Freetether would need to be running on the internet source: the blackberry in this case. Then the touchpad would connect via the wifi signal Freetether would broadcast. Freetether doesn't work on a blackberry...
    Oops. Your right. Got my sources twisted backwards. I have freeTether on my Pre2 and use that to get internet to the Touchpad.

    You'd need a similar type of wi-fi hotspot app on the Blackberry.

    Sorry about that!
  11. jsaradhi's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    You cannot tether a Blackberry phone with the Touchpad, from what I've been able to determine. Freetether is programmed for WebOS and will not work on a Blackberry. I have researched this myself because I have a Touchpad and a Blackberry Bold.

    Update: I researched a little further after seeing Cantaffordit's post and PDANet is available for the Blackberry. I've not used it, but will give it a go myself. This app is not a "hotspot," but rather treats the Touchpad in this case, as a USB device. I would be careful, however, as several carriers are cracking down on tethering (Verizon and AT&T).
    i would love to know if and how this can be done! i downloaded pdanet on my tour 9630. but they do not have pdanet client to run on touchpad...you can only connect these mobile phones to a pc, seems like.
  12. #12  
    I haven't been able to do this with my 9650. Even though I can get them connected, it only seems to see it as an audio device. Would love to be able to get internet and I know I have teathering available on my account because I do it with my laptop all the time with no third party apps.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions