webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > New Touchpad? Here's your "Get Started" guide
New Touchpad? Here's your "Get Started" guide
Like Tree307Likes

Old 10/01/2011, 09:32 PM   #641 (permalink)

Is there a way I can permanently disable stacking of cards? I prefer having to see all my cards laid out.
DivineArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2011, 09:41 PM   #642 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex80386 View Post
So you killed all processes except init and the kill process itself... in any case, did you try the "Trigger a restart" option from the Troubleshooting section of the user guide?

http://www.hpwebos.com/us/support/ha...ouchPad_UG.pdf
Thanks a lot for your response. I have already used webOS doctor. But next time if this happens then will give it a shot.
gajju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2011, 10:41 PM   #643 (permalink)

remember I was getting issues about hotmail.com

just use https://hotmail.com and sign in..

it works ;-)
mibaksh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2011, 04:54 PM   #644 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibaksh View Post
ncinerate, along with proxy support, there is also the PDF scaling fix here

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...-touchpad.html
Thanks for the suggestions mibaksh, I'll try and get this info added to the main post as soon as I have a bit of freetime to format it in a simple and casually understandable way .

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html

If you find anything I do here is useful, please feel free to
!!!

Long Live webOS and our Palm gear!
ncinerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2011, 07:29 PM   #645 (permalink)

no probs man, take your time. I'll be sure to post whatever I find here :-)
Old 10/03/2011, 12:41 AM   #646 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibaksh View Post
remember I was getting issues about hotmail.com

just use https://hotmail.com and sign in..

it works ;-)
Sort of...

Use the link as is: https://hotmail.com

Select "Use HTTPS (recommended)" on the first screen, then select "Not use" on the second.

When it says "You have a sucky browser", continue anyway. If you select "Use Mobile Hotmail", it will loop but never load until you go back a page or restart the browser.

But...aside from the lack of proper editing functions, which is another bit of keyboard exploration (would dearly love to use SHIFT-DWN ARROW/DEL to delete excess message text, but...)...

It does work.

Good work, mibaksh!!!
markhca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2011, 07:52 AM   #647 (permalink)

Sorry for the double posting. Is there a way I can disable the stacking of cards? I prefer having to see all my cards laid out.
DivineArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2011, 12:51 PM   #648 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhca View Post
Sort of...

Use the link as is: https://hotmail.com

Select "Use HTTPS (recommended)" on the first screen, then select "Not use" on the second.

When it says "You have a sucky browser", continue anyway. If you select "Use Mobile Hotmail", it will loop but never load until you go back a page or restart the browser.

But...aside from the lack of proper editing functions, which is another bit of keyboard exploration (would dearly love to use SHIFT-DWN ARROW/DEL to delete excess message text, but...)...

It does work.

Good work, mibaksh!!!
haha good details, I was too tired to post all that. I think I read the info on another site :-)
Old 10/03/2011, 05:55 PM   #649 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NawtyB78 View Post
I've installed preware and about 40 preware items along with it, but I can't seem to be able to get Make It So to install. Fails every time. Is anyone else having this issue? Or does anyone have any idea as to how I could go about solving it?
I had the same problem with quite a number of patches at the first attempt, then I remembered that I first started out by installing pretty much any patch that looked interesting in the order that I came across then, so I uninstalled the lot then went back in and added only the patches that are mentioned in the original thread, link here - http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3027858 basically I found this time I could install all the patches that were recommended then go back through and pick out the ones of interest. hope that helps.
Incsmiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2011, 06:01 PM   #650 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnordby View Post
Is there / what is the best way to sync docs with your PC? I would like to edit a doc/spreadsheet on pc, sync with google docs (or something else), edit on TP, and see the changes on the next pc sync.

Uploading files to Google docs works one-by-one when you turn off the auto-convert to Google format, but this doesn't sync the files.

I tried Google docs sync, but Google automatically converts to Google format, which the TP doesn't recognize. If it would keep the format, it would work.

Is there another avenue other than Google docs sync?
+1
Incsmiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2011, 11:37 PM   #651 (permalink)

honestly I have been using my touchpad a lot with dropbox. Works well for me if I just want to make a quick note and then load it on the pc and format it. (this is with word)
and yes, when you hit save, it saves to dropbox ;-)

I hardly use my box.net though due to a lack of a desktop client

PS quick note meant a page or two of text
Old 10/04/2011, 10:34 AM   #652 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcincotta View Post
Hi all, I have a few general quick questions about my hp touchpad that people might be able to help me with...

6. Silly question, but if you use a micro usb to female usb, then plug a usb stick into the touchpad will it work???

Thanks to anyone that helps with these...
In case no one has responded with what you hoped to hear, check out this link.

Functional USB Host on Touchpad

It contains a video that shows how it works, as well as a lot of useful text information.

Apparently HP originally planned to come out with their own devices to plug into the USB port so the device and OS are already prebuilt with full USB Host Mode functionality.

This means that once you have the right patch cables and a powered hub you can plug in any USB device you want, keyboard, mouse, thumb drive, external storage, etc.

I have not gotten my touchpad yet (Friday) but I already ordered all the things I'll need to make this work.
Alan Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2011, 09:21 PM   #653 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Hawk View Post
In case no one has responded with what you hoped to hear, check out this link.

Functional USB Host on Touchpad

It contains a video that shows how it works, as well as a lot of useful text information.

Apparently HP originally planned to come out with their own devices to plug into the USB port so the device and OS are already prebuilt with full USB Host Mode functionality.

This means that once you have the right patch cables and a powered hub you can plug in any USB device you want, keyboard, mouse, thumb drive, external storage, etc.

I have not gotten my touchpad yet (Friday) but I already ordered all the things I'll need to make this work.
Sky is the limit.....

USB stick. ... working
Hard drive. .... working
cd-rom. ... mounted in dosbox but have not tested the physical drive yet.
greenskinredeyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 06:00 PM   #654 (permalink)

Do you have to be in develper mode for webosQuickinstall to install apps?
dtloggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 08:15 PM   #655 (permalink)

Upon running the jar file, I am prompted for the Devmode password.

I have entered devmode on the tablet, and I did not enter a password (just hit submit after enabling the developer mode)..

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mark
MarkS1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 12:44 AM   #656 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardvaark View Post
I followed ncinerates guide on page 17 of this thread to install ubuntu. I did everything correct and it all went well and installed everything up until I got to >apt-get install ldxe, it said package not found.
Most likely it should have been:

apt-get install lxde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardvaark View Post
I'm not concerned right now with continuing from this point right now. I have deleted the ubuntu chroot package using the rm command and would like to remove the ext3fs partition I made in this process to get my 2gb memory back. How do I do this?

Thank you, I'll probably in the near future go for the full ubuntu install but for now I just want to undo what I've done so far.

Ardvaark
It is probably a good idea to remove the ubuntu chroot package, rather than just using the rm command... regarding the ext3fs removal, I've posted some instructions in another thread. The procedure is the reverse of the one for creating the extra ext3fs logical volume - the one you can find here:
UbuntuChroot - WebOS Internals

First, I assume you really do have a ext3 partition and not a loopback file. You should be able to see the logical volume with lvscan. This is for a 32GB touchpad.

# lvscan
ACTIVE '/dev/store/root' [568.00 MB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/store/var' [64.00 MB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/store/update' [16.00 MB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/store/log' [24.00 MB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/store/mojodb' [256.00 MB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/store/filecache' [136.00 MB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/store/media' [18.00 GB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/store/swap' [400.00 MB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/store/ext3fs' [9.64 GB] inherit

Now assuming you have removed (and made a backup if needed) ubuntu and anything else that might use /media/ext3fs - for example optware can use the ext3fs too - now we can continue.

Close any apps running on the touchpad. Connect with Novaterm - the following should all be done via novaterm. First unmount and remove the ext3fs logical volume.

Code:
umount /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs
lvremove /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs
Now remove the line in /etc/fstab that mounts /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs at boot time. There might be a line in /etc/fstab that looks a bit like this:

Code:
/dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs auto noatime 0 0
If you have that line you need to remount root in read-write mode before you can edit /etc/fstab.

Code:
mount -o remount,rw /
Then remove that line from /etc/fstab and save the file (note: making backups of files before you change them is a good idea).

Now make root fs read-only again.

Code:
mount -o remount,ro /
So now we have no ext3fs logical volume and some empty space. Now umount these filesystems before resizing (I'm not sure if the pkill is needed, but I don't think it does any harm).

Code:
pkill -SIGUSR1 cryptofs
umount /media/cryptofs
umount /media/internal
Check the umount was successful (should return nothing because these filesystems should no longer be mounted).

Code:
mount | grep cryptofs
mount | grep internal
Then when these have been unmounted, extend the size of your logical volume. We have to increase the size of the logical volume before we increase the size of the filesystem. First check the file system is clean.

Code:
/usr/sbin/****.vfat /dev/mapper/store-media
Opps... the forum thinks I'm trying to post a bad word.

Please go here for the correct command (instead of ****) to check you have a clean filesystem:
UbuntuChroot - WebOS Internals

So now we have a clean file system, we can resize it. The following should make it take all the remaining free space in the volume group.

Code:
lvresize -l +100%FREE /dev/mapper/store-media
Please check with 'lvscan' and/or 'lvdisplay' as above.

Now we can resize the fat32 file system on that logical volume.

Code:
resizefat /dev/mapper/store-media 26G
The example above is for making it 26GB, but the size you need might be different… please check these links for more info.
http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...u-install.html
gadgetXplorer: #webOS: How to remove EXT3FS partition

Now you should be able to remount your fat32 fs.

Code:
mount –a
Check with df command and it should be the same size as original before you created the ext3fs volume. Reboot and make sure everything is working as it should.

Last edited by alex80386; 10/14/2011 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Updated the lvresize command to use +100%FREE
alex80386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by Ardvaark, Len111
Old 10/06/2011, 06:58 AM   #657 (permalink)

Thanks for the instructions. I just got my Touchpad on Tuesday. It is now an infinitely better machine.
Sgt Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 08:53 AM   #658 (permalink)

I followed your steps and it worked perfectly; however i noticed that my connection into the HP Apps Catalog no longer works. I contacted the webOS team and they advised me to erase system and start over again. Before I proceed in doing all this ALL over again, I wanted to check and see if this have been reported before and/or is there a fix?
ApelilaRains72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 08:55 AM   #659 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApelilaRains72 View Post
I followed your steps and it worked perfectly; however i noticed that my connection into the HP Apps Catalog no longer works. I contacted the webOS team and they advised me to erase system and start over again. Before I proceed in doing all this ALL over again, I wanted to check and see if this have been reported before and/or is there a fix?
Did you perform the "hulu" fix?

This is the only thing I know of that actually breaks the app catalog....

Try going here:

Whats My User Agent?

Cut/paste your user agent here - I am curious if this is somehow changed, as this seems to be the only way the app catalog gets "broken".

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html

If you find anything I do here is useful, please feel free to
!!!

Long Live webOS and our Palm gear!
ncinerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 11:03 AM   #660 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
Did you perform the "hulu" fix?

This is the only thing I know of that actually breaks the app catalog....

Try going here:

Whats My User Agent?

Cut/paste your user agent here - I am curious if this is somehow changed, as this seems to be the only way the app catalog gets "broken".

YES I did perform the hulu fix...

Most Recent User Agents Visiting this Page:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1.1; U; en) AppleWebKit/535.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) xp/234.40.1 Safari/535.2 01/07
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.0 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.0.203.2 Safari/532.02011-10-06 10:21:07
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; SIMBAR={4CACFF9B-0306-4694-972A-8B34082A855F}; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; OfficeLiveConnector.1.3; OfficeLivePatch.0.0; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)2011-10-06 10:21:04
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050224 Firefox/1.0.22011-10-06 10:20:50
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.1; .NET4.0C; AskTB5.6)2011-10-06 10:20:34
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/535.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/14.0.835.187 Safari/535.12011-10-06 10:20:28
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.0 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/3.0.195.1 Safari/532.02011-10-06 10:20:22
IE 7 ? Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30)2011-10-06 10:20:13
Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.162011-10-06 10:20:10
USERAGENT172011-10-06 10:20:05
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.8.1.19) Gecko/20081213 SUSE/2.0.0.19-0.1 Firefox/2.0.0.192011-10-06 10:19:59
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.1.249.1030 Safari/532.52011-10-06 10:19:55
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; WinNT4.0; de-DE; rv:0.9.4.1) Gecko/20020314 Netscape6/6.2.22011-10-06 10:19:55
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.1.249.1030 Safari/532.52011-10-06 10:19:52
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; fr-fr; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.12011-10-06 10:19:52

Last edited by ApelilaRains72; 10/06/2011 at 11:11 AM.
ApelilaRains72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0