Page 9 of 55 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Like Tree309Likes
    Ever since I did the above I am not able to watch shows on CBS.com! I removed max blocker, but it still won't work! Any suggestions?
    First time WebOS user and new extremely happy owner of a 32G HP Touchpad. I am not the most tech savvy person, so I really found the OP to be incredibly helpful. Even though a lot of this stuff is not intuitive to me, I didn't feel overwhelmed at all really and I was able to figure some stuff out on my own as I went along.

The only thing I haven't figured out (I see that Drac posted the same question) was if you can change a setting where you can watch full screen movies with your home button on the left (speakers facing up)? As of now, I like to hold it in my lap and it muffles the speakers at times if I don't lift it up.

Thanks again for all the great info and hopefully I can continue to learn much more and eventually actually help a few people.
  3.    #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenmom2grls View Post
    Ever since I did the above I am not able to watch shows on CBS.com! I removed max blocker, but it still won't work! Any suggestions?
    I tested this, and indeed, cbs.com didnt work. I'm assuming it had something to do with maxblocker.

Anyway, here's the steps to fix it.

Uninstall max blocker. Reboot the touchpad fully. Open the browser. Click on the WEB tab on the top left, go to preferences. Delete cache and delete cookies.

Now surf to www.cbs.com, and your videos will work properly.

Sadly, CBS breaks if you attempt to use an adblocking program, and since we have no ability to turn adblock or maxblocker on or off depending on website, this is a clear trade-off. You can either get rid of ads, or view cbs.com.

Wish there was a way to do both - sorry!
    Last edited by ncinerate; 08/25/2011 at 11:36 PM.
    Thanks ncinerate for the guide. I am new to the Touchpad having been able to get the 16 GB version at a physical hhgregg location. So far, I am loving it especially with the patches and disabling logging. The Hulu fix works great too, that was one of the first sites I tried when I got it out of the box and was initially disappointed.

One thing about upgrading the webos out of the box that may have been mentioned already. The servers are still really clogged even when I tried to upgrade 5 days after the fire sale. I had to literally sit there and pay attention to it for about 2-3 hours. Every time it would stall out I'd have to hit the button to restart it. It will eventually get installed. Didn't know about the doctor trick

My prior HP and Palm devices were an HP printer and a Palm Centro...heh
    Help. I bricked it try to update through WebOS Doctor.

I fully charged the TP, plug it in when "next was greyed out." well froze up at 62%. Now the TP has a picture of what looks like a CPU processor and an arrow frozen.

I cannot get it to restart at all. Any help?

FIXED: Reset procedure = Hold down power button and keep pressing home button. Will reset TP.
  6.    #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappyloxs View Post
    Help. I bricked it try to update through WebOS Doctor.

I fully charged the TP, plug it in when "next was greyed out." well froze up at 62%. Now the TP has a picture of what looks like a CPU processor and an arrow frozen.

I cannot get it to restart at all. Any help?

FIXED: Reset procedure = Hold down power button and keep pressing home button. Will reset TP.
    Yes. If your touchpad opens up normally, I suggest you perform a FULL ERASE before actually running doctor. Go to your device info in the settings tab and do that first. Then run Doctor. Sometimes failure to do this can cause hangs.

It's nothing you can't recover from (it's basically impossible to "brick" a touchpad unless you physically smash it with a brick), but it's annoying .
    Thank you...it works now! I will take my soaps over ad blockers any day lol
  8.    #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenmom2grls View Post
    Thank you...it works now! I will take my soaps over ad blockers any day lol
    Thank -you- for discovering a problem I didn't know about . I've edited the initial post to reflect this. Hopefully we can avoid anyone having similar issues if soaps are important to -them-.

Now, if you'll excuse me, woooooaoaaaahhhhh SLAM bump crash, wait, who are you? Where am I? What happened to Sandy? What do you mean it was all just a dream? Are you trying to seduce me? Look at my manly chest. Wait.... I remember now.... You are my SISTER! WHAT HAVE WE DONE!?!

Next time, on the young and the restless.....
    htron and fredewins like this.
    Thanks, no it does not open. I am able to run Web Doctor, but it will not turn on per se. It only shows the "hp" symbol.
    Like many of us noobs, the lure of a nice screen and Netflix Instant was one of those "could we...?" questions that went through my mind when waiting/hunting/searching for my Touchpad.

Alas, there is no Netflix app and many have said that Silverlight is required for browser viewing. But I figured there HAS to be a way...

So I did some surfing and saw that many people suggested using PlayOn. I've only heard of it a few years ago when trying to get my DirecTV DVR content on my PC but never checked it out.

"Why not?" I thought and installed the software. Configuring my Netgear router was ok but had some syncing issues in the PlayOn setup for mobile devices but was able to fix it (Use UPnP and if there's something in there already, remove it, disable UPnP, update router, go back in and re-enable UPnP).

I enabled which services I wanted to use with PlayOn and chose Netflix and a few others but did not opt for Hulu because it asked for a username/password and I don't have one and was more interested in Netflix.

During the setup, I was given the choice of looking for content on my PC and pointed to a folder where I had some windows media files.

I went to my local IP with the PlayOn port and WALLA! A nice listing of various services were available that I had chosen during setup including Netflix and my local media files.

Went to Netflix and got into my queue (it's a little clunky) and started up an Eddie Izzard special and it played Yay!

So I decided to try the local files and loaded a video of my daughter singing and it played. Did I mention it was a WMV?

So, I'm gonna get it I think... the only thing that is a limitation is that you have to connect to YOUR PlayOn server on your PC. That means that if you are at a coffee shop or work you will need to use your external IP address (PlayOn gives you this info at setup) but I can't connect to my server via external IP - at least in my house. I need to get on a different network to test this but am thinking it's my Netgear router.
    Thanks for all of your info.
    One of the questions I have been asking has been "How do I put a DVD on my HP Touchpad"?

Sure, there's digital copies that are included these days with your Blu-Ray DVD combo pack or via iTunes. But if you have a old copy of Aladdin that your daughter wants to watch ad nausuem, what do you do then?

Are there suggestions for software from the community, perhaps a compass for those that are green?

Type in DVD on Touchpad and you get a lot of sites that look the same and probably are the same company. But with the LARGE amount of new Touchpad users that are looking for answers I have to ask if many of those websites are not what they seem and can be dangerous (malware, trojans, etc).

Another problem with a learning curve that we as a community can help with is the fact that these software packages say "Android" or "iPod" or "iPhone" but Touchpad is not listed because of the lack of time on the market and I don't see those software packages getting updates to list TP as a choice when asking "Where do you want your movie?".

I'm more than happy to help the community (are we "webOS'ers? touchstoners? stoners? subject for another thread) by creating tutorials with pretty pictures...
    i have seen some cool players such as orb and playon (which i used a year or so ago an loved) but i currently only have mac comp.

any one know of a good alternative for mac that will work with my new touchpad?

any help would be great.

thanks in advance!
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    This has been the most rewarding threads ever! I would like to thank the poster, and also warn anyone syncing their itunes library through hpplay to either manually sync, or be prepared for quite a wait depending on your itunes library. I remembered a little too late....
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    The ORB website/program is absolutely badass! Thanks for adding that on there!
    I couldn't get the tp into USB mode to even get through the first part. I was stuck at step one without ever getting the 'next' button to come up in webOS. So, I got the device up and running again (I had erased it) and put it into developer mode. Then everything worked fine. Thanks!
    Last edited by asevie; 08/26/2011 at 07:16 AM.
    I was having trouble using the ##LOGS## thing from the dialer (kept getting an error about not having items paired) and discovered you can access the same screen another way:

Settings (same screen as you use to get to your apps, far right tab) -> Device Info
    Click the upper left-hand corner (Device Info) and select "Diagnostics"
    Click the upper left-hand corner again (Diagnostics) and select "Collect Logs"
    Click "Change Logging Levels" and switch to minimal

I hope this helps anyone else like me who was having trouble with the ##LOGS## route (or maybe doesn't want to install Skype for whatever reason).
    Fam Money likes this.
    The number to dial is actually ##LOGS#, without the extra # at the end.
    Got through everything except "Increase Touchpad Volume (lite)", which seems to be gone, and the overclocking last night. Great post, very helpful, good tips! Touchpad runs great, very pleased with it so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by nep301 View Post
    The number to dial is actually ##LOGS#, without the extra # at the end.
    Ah, I was typing that from memory so don't recall if I did it correctly at the time. Anyway, maybe someone can benefit from the alternate route
Page 9 of 55 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast