Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2 42474849505152535455 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1084
Like Tree309Likes
    Just goes to prove that not all moderators can be called fan boys on sites.

You'll love having a tablet and I'm sure you'll like playing around with webOS. I'd even suggest simply playing with webOS for a while before you put Android on. Try it out and run it as it was intended and see what you think of the OS. You're a long-time (Palm) Treo guy and this is a piece of Palm history.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/23/2013 at 10:23 PM.
    Welcome to the dark side
    If you haven't already get yourself a Pre 3 too, pair them up and send and receive sms messages from your Touchpad, that's what I do when my Pre is charging :-)

Get Preware on there, oh and welcome :-P

Barry

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Just goes to prove that not all moderators can be called fan boys on sites.

You'll love having a tablet and I'm sure you'll like playing around with webOS. I'd even suggest simply playing with webOS for a while before you put Android on. Try it out and run it as it was intended and see what you think of the OS. You're a long-time (Palm) Treo guy and this is a piece of Palm history.
    I suppose I could give it a run as stock and see if it fits my wants/needs.
    Mainly browsing, email, and ePubs.
    Just call me Berd.
    I suppose I could give it a run as stock and see if it fits my wants/needs.
    Mainly browsing, email, and ePubs.

I second HelloNNNewman's suggestion to run it with webOS first. However, I would not run "stock" webOS. Turn on the alpha and beta WOCE feeds for Preware, then install Preware (kind of backwards, but after you read the wiki you will understand), then install LunaCE 4.9.10 from Preware. Install the muffle system logging patch from Preware. Afterwards install Uberkernel and Govnah from Preware if you wish to overclock. The TouchPad can be safely over-clocked to 1.5 GHz in webOS (and Android). Install a theme (I recommend Glass Effects (for TouchPad)) from Preware. It is a lot to do at first but it is easier to do these thing and a lot quicker to do them then installing and tweaking Android.

In the HP app catalog I would recommend Zite for reading news. It is more reliable and easier to use than Flipboard (Flipboard even copied Zite's webOS layout for tablet viewing). I would recommend Zinio for magazine reading. I would recommend the Advance Browser for web viewing if you like tabbed browsing. However, the stock browser + LunaCE side bezel gestures feature makes tabbed browsing seem cumbersome by comparison. Communities is a great forum app. The stock email app on webOS is better than most paid email apps under Android. The only problem you are going to run into is with epubs. There are patches for the Adobe Reader on webOS that help out a little. The beta Kindle app on webOS is beautiful and is better than its Android counterpart in some respects.

Once you decide to take the Android plunge, the Schizoid CM10 ROM is excellent. A little better than JC Sullin's C10 offering. I think CM10 is better than CM9. Others may disagree. Good luck!

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Here are some links:

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Testing_Feeds

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...han-you-think/

LunaCE 4.x

berdinkerdickle likes this.
    Thanks for the links.
    I'll take your advice.
    Just call me Berd.
    I'm just verifying that I follow the order you posted?

Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I second HelloNNNewman's suggestion to run it with webOS first. However, I would not run "stock" webOS. Turn on the alpha and beta WOCE feeds for Preware, then install Preware (kind of backwards, but after you read the wiki you will understand), then install LunaCE 4.9.10 from Preware. Install the muffle system logging patch from Preware. Afterwards install Uberkernel and Govnah from Preware if you wish to overclock. The TouchPad can be safely over-clocked to 1.5 GHz in webOS (and Android). Install a theme (I recommend Glass Effects (for TouchPad)) from Preware. It is a lot to do at first but it is easier to do these thing and a lot quicker to do them then installing and tweaking Android.

In the HP app catalog I would recommend Zite for reading news. It is more reliable and easier to use than Flipboard (Flipboard even copied Zite's webOS layout for tablet viewing). I would recommend Zinio for magazine reading. I would recommend the Advance Browser for web viewing if you like tabbed browsing. However, the stock browser + LunaCE side bezel gestures feature makes tabbed browsing seem cumbersome by comparison. Communities is a great forum app. The stock email app on webOS is better than most paid email apps under Android. The only problem you are going to run into is with epubs. There are patches for the Adobe Reader on webOS that help out a little. The beta Kindle app on webOS is beautiful and is better than its Android counterpart in some respects.

Once you decide to take the Android plunge, the Schizoid CM10 ROM is excellent. A little better than JC Sullin's C10 offering. I think CM10 is better than CM9. Others may disagree. Good luck!

Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I bought this:
    FS: New sealed HP Touchpad 32GB w/ Folio Case $215 Shipped

I'm anxiously excited.

I'm hoping it gets delivered early this coming week.

First on my list will be to get Android up and running.
    Then, I'm going to ease myself into webOS.
    I've never really used webOS, so I have hopes that it'll do most of my wants/needs.
    If not, I'll still have android to fall back on.

I've been content with Android on my Thunderbolt.

So, I had better get reading up in these forums.
    Congrats! You'll love it, you'll feel you can do so much, for so little money spent, especially when you install android! There's no limitation as to what it can do once on android!

Here's the official guide to install CM9:
    Install CM for tenderloin - CyanogenMod

I advise you to use the latest CWM6 instead of the one linked in the guide:
    Goo.im Downloads - Downloading update-CWM6_tenderloin-20121215.zip

Use this gapps for CM9:
    Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

I also recommend installing the Trebuchet patch to be able to change your grid size because the default grid size is messed up when you turn between portrait and landscape, I recommend 7 rows x 8 columns. I don't recommend changing the dpi because it might cause most apps to say they are not compatible with your device in the play store and you won't be able to install them:
    Trebuchet patch for changing grid size (up to 11x11) - HP Touchpad Android Development - RootzWiki

I also recommend CyanDelta from the Play store for CM9 OTA updates!

Enjoy!!

Edit: I just noticed that @k4ever recommended CM10, while I haven't tested CM10 myself and I cannot judge if it's better than CM9 or not, but I would rather use CM9 because it is officially supported by the CM team and they are still releasing weekly nightlies!
    Last edited by mschumacher69; 02/24/2013 at 11:34 PM.
    Thanks so much.
    I'm getting all the more excited.
    I just watched a YouTube video on installing Android. I'm not too intimidated. I'm not new to rooting and installing custom Roms.
    So, I think I'll be fine.

Thanks for the links.
    Just call me Berd.
    If I get everything up and running with ICS, is it just a matter of flashing jellybean (C10) the same as I did going from gingerbread to ICS on my ThunderBolt?
    Just call me Berd.
    If I get everything up and running with ICS, is it just a matter of flashing jellybean (C10) the same as I did going from gingerbread to ICS on my ThunderBolt?
    Yes once moboot and CWM are installed via ACMEInstaller, then it's easy to flash any ROM you want via CWM. But if you're moving to a completely new ROM, it is recommended to perform a data wipe factory reset (loosing all your CM files) via CWM before you install the new ROM because you'll most likely run into problems if you don't.

So basically, if you're updating from a CM9 nightly to a newer CM9 nightly, you just wipe dalvik, but if you're moving from CM9 to CM10 or from CM to another ROM, it is recommended to wipe data factory reset first and then flash the new ROM.
    Last edited by mschumacher69; 02/25/2013 at 12:26 AM.
    This is stickied now? FWIW, it'd rather see an informational "now new owner" aggregate on the OP than having to follow someone's conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    This is stickied now? FWIW, it'd rather see an informational "now new owner" aggregate on the OP than having to follow someone's conversation.
    I'm Mobil, so I can't tell; is this thread stickied?
    I wouldn't think that was necessary, if so.
    Also, please rephrase the latter portion of your post.
    Just call me Berd.
    Yes, it is stickied.
    Maybe it's the Team's way of welcoming me back.
    Or, maybe they're concerned because of my age I won't be able to find it again if it isn't stickied.
    Just call me Berd.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    The only problem you are going to run into is with epubs. There are patches for the Adobe Reader on webOS that help out a little. The beta Kindle app on webOS is beautiful and is better than its Android counterpart in some respects.
    pReader is a great eBook reader for webOS and supports ePub files.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    I'm Mobil, so I can't tell; is this thread stickied?
    I wouldn't think that was necessary, if so.
    Also, please rephrase the latter portion of your post.
    I mean it's better to have all the information at the top than to have to read through the thread for it. OP = original post
    Okay, I'll be sure to update the 1st as I get things going.
    Just call me Berd.
    Thanks for all your guy's replies.
    Any further questions I have about getting Android on my 4G TouchPad will be asked here:
    I've been gone some time, and I just finding my way around the forums.
    Android on 4G TouchPad
    Just call me Berd.