Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree309Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandage View Post
    Not finding a dial-pad tab as the article suggests when I open Phone & Video Calls. I've updated to 3.02

Any help is appreciated.
    I believe you have to do the skype set up. It's free, and was rather easy to set up. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on having to set up skype first to get the dial-pad tab. I think I'm done with messing with the software, I just seem to have bad luck with stuff like that...but...others seem to like the tweaks. I'm actually quite happy with my TP the way it is.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  2.    #82  
    Honestly I didn't realize until he mentioned it that the dialpad isn't available immediately. I paired my palm pre, so the dialpad was available immediately.

I imagine setting up skype would similarly provide you with a dialpad to deal with shutting down logging, but I havent tested it. If I can get some confirmation from anyone here I'll edit the initial post to reflect this!

EDIT: I went ahead and tested it, yes, skype allows a dialpad to be brought up. I fixed the original post to reflect this.

As for you clem, don't feel too worried about it man. Worst case you can always doctor back to stock - you will do no real harm. Shutting off logging shouldn't have caused you any additional issues, but bear in mind the touchpad isn't -exactly- perfect the way it is and you'll run into some oddball UI quirks etc from time to time even bone-dry. So, placebo effect imho - you're looking for something to go wrong and you're seeing it .

Logging is essentially just recording a ton of data from what you're doing, how you're using your pad, apps you're opening, etc etc etc. It's nice from a dev perspective since they know -exactly - what happened leading up to a crash for example, but it is totally unnecessary on a piece of consumer hardware like this. If our home PC's were taking logs like this and sending them to a central server -every day- we'd all be in fits about it. Don't feel bad about killing the logging. Hell, even if it didn't make a single ounce of difference in speed I'd have those things shut down first-thing.
    Last edited by ncinerate; 08/23/2011 at 09:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    As for you clem, don't feel too worried about it man. Worst case you can always doctor back to stock - you will do no real harm. Shutting off logging shouldn't have caused you any additional issues, but bear in mind the touchpad isn't -exactly- perfect the way it is and you'll run into some oddball UI quirks etc from time to time even bone-dry. So, placebo effect imho - you're looking for something to go wrong and you're seeing it .

Logging is essentially just recording a ton of data from what you're doing, how you're using your pad, apps you're opening, etc etc etc. It's nice from a dev perspective since they know -exactly - what happened leading up to a crash for example, but it is totally unnecessary on a piece of consumer hardware like this. If our home PC's were taking logs like this and sending them to a central server -every day- we'd all be in fits about it. Don't feel bad about killing the logging. Hell, even if it didn't make a single ounce of difference in speed I'd have those things shut down first-thing.
    You're probably right about me looking for something wrong. It is odd about the difference in swipping up though. Before it was a quick flick, and now I have to just do it slower....weird. Actually, I prefer the new method, go figure. And SI is working great now....so I'm back to being happy with my TP! I love gadgets, but dang I hate them to! LOL Thanks for your comments though.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    I believe you have to do the skype set up. It's free, and was rather easy to set up. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on having to set up skype first to get the dial-pad tab. I think I'm done with messing with the software, I just seem to have bad luck with stuff like that...but...others seem to like the tweaks. I'm actually quite happy with my TP the way it is.
    I can confirm that you need to set up Skype first before you can get the dial-pad
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffrlp View Post
    Yea I tried that...reinstalled the driver, redownloaded webosquickinstall, different usb ports and am in developer mode.
    I am in the exact same boat, not really sure what else to try. I did manually download webos doctor because that link on the OP wouldn't work. It kept telling me invalid serial number. Not sure if that has to do with anything....
    Thanks.

I didn't read it all so bear with...

So, I am wondering why the OP would start a beginner's guide by teaching them to doctor? That's a bit of an advanced skill. It's not for the average user, the WebOS users are by and large, above average. Also, since the update I just did on a coworker's new unit went quickly.

Best to get them setting up their profiles, and getting favorite apps from the real APP CAT, then move on to devmode and preware. Get some patches... Then talk about the Doctor... IMO!

I just feel you'll overwhelm them and they'll walk away shaking their heads, and mount the TPs to the wall as picture frames/clocks in frustration.

IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    I tried to run WebOS doctor but the program keep staying like this for the last 30 mins. I can't find the next button. I tried to replug it and redo it again but same thing. Help pls..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by -BA- View Post
    Really nice guide OP. Thanks for that. Have a couple of questions though, if you don't mind. In your post you state, "Now, plug your touchpad into your computer with the usb cable, and open up webos quick install. DO NOT PUT THE TOUCHPAD INTO MASS STORAGE USB MODE, just leave it charging and on normally." Now when my TP is plugged into my pc via USB it states, "Tap 'USB Drive' to transfer files to and from your computer. To charge your device, use the power supply that came with it." What am I doing wrong?
    I'm having the same problem!
    Quote Originally Posted by zumii View Post
    I tried to run WebOS doctor but the program keep staying like this for the last 30 mins. I can't find the next button. I tried to replug it and redo it again but same thing. Help pls..
    Me too!
    Quote Originally Posted by zumii View Post
    Develope Mode , then USB Connect and check by Only Charge ( dont check as USB Drive ) .
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Well I managed to get my hands on a couple of the Touchstone chargers today so it is not so much of an issue for me now. Still curious to know how to enable it though. Is it one of the settings in the Preware?
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    Thanks.

I didn't read it all so bear with...

So, I am wondering why the OP would start a beginner's guide by teaching them to doctor? That's a bit of an advanced skill. It's not for the average user, the WebOS users are by and large, above average. Also, since the update I just did on a coworker's new unit went quickly.
    I did it because at that particular moment, the updates weren't working as hundreds of thousands of touchpads were being updated.

I figured showing people how to doctor was a smart thing, but if you re-read the original post, it was as a "second option" to simply updating it normally - NOT as something I was directly saying someone should do right out of the gate. Basically it was a "if your touchpad refuses to update via the built-in updater".

On the same coin though, I feel everyone -should- know that there is an easily accessible way to update/repair/restore a touchpad to hardware specs. Telling new users about webOS doctor is, in my opinion, a net good thing. Lets face it, the platform is new to many of these individuals and unless we -tell- them about webOS doctor they may not even know it exists.
    can you switch webos accounts on your touchpad, or at least delete an existing account from the touchpad. The one I currently have might be going to my brother if I get the other one I ordered and I don't want to create an account using my email if it ends up being his touchpad.
  14.    #94  
    From what I understand the only way to switch hp/palm accounts on the touchpad is to perform a full erase.

Sorry .
    well, I guess that is okay. He would want his own apps and settings and everything anyway so a full erase would be fine I think. I'm not planning on downloading much until I know if this is going to be mine anyway.
    So my Touchpad should be here within the next few hours, and one thing I was wondering is should I update my Touchpad to WebOS 3.0.2 if I'm planning on installing Android the moment it's ported?
    Quote Originally Posted by SPESSMEHREN View Post
    So my Touchpad should be here within the next few hours, and one thing I was wondering is should I update my Touchpad to WebOS 3.0.2 if I'm planning on installing Android the moment it's ported?
    Yes, update it. It won't take long. Besides, you could be waiting months before getting a workable android port.
  18.    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by SPESSMEHREN View Post
    No reason not to. Updates on the touchpad are NOT geared towards stopping you from running homebrew apps or patches. This is not a locked platform like IOS or a nintendo WII. Your update will simply fix some annoying problems present in the stock pad. It's even possible to get your hands on older webOS doctors and doctor back to previous versions if you -really- wanted to. Again though, it makes no difference if what you intend to do is swap out an OS.

And who knows, you might just get some fun use out of the device -before- the eventual android port.
    Fam Money likes this.
    Thanks a lot for this guide, my TP's on the way and this'll be really useful.
  20.    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bajingo View Post
    Thanks a lot for this guide, my TP's on the way and this'll be really useful.
    No problem Bajingo.

Also added some new info, like how to fix your charger if the touchpad isn't charging.

Maybe I'll go about adding a troubleshooting section to help anyone having issues....
Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast