Page 46 of 55 FirstFirst ... 364142434445464748495051 ... LastLast
Like Tree309Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dvwise2 View Post
    Thanx much for this highly informative totorial. It seems that "Uberkernel" is no longer available. Zat tru ??...dvwise2
    need to check out the webOS internals beta feeds
    Pls excuse, SKYLARKBOY86, I'm a new guy, how do I access webOS internals beta feeds for that file??
    I am at the part where I would like to deal with installing arrow keys.
    It says "Thankfully, there's a patch for that: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...rrow-keys.html"

Going there, reading what i must do I see it says I must
    "- Download the qwertyarrows.zip file from the link at the end of this post.
    - Unzip the qwertyarrows.zip file into the keypatch folder created earlier.
    - Connect your TouchPad to your computer and select the USB Drive option on the TouchPad's screen. This will create a new drive letter in Windows Explorer for your TP (remember this drive letter).
    - Copy the keypatch folder to your TouchPad."

What do I do instead being on a Mac?
    I dont have Windows Eplorer, etc.................
  4.    #904  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShelaghDB View Post
    I am at the part where I would like to deal with installing arrow keys.
    It says "Thankfully, there's a patch for that: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...rrow-keys.html"

Going there, reading what i must do I see it says I must
    "- Download the qwertyarrows.zip file from the link at the end of this post.
    - Unzip the qwertyarrows.zip file into the keypatch folder created earlier.
    - Connect your TouchPad to your computer and select the USB Drive option on the TouchPad's screen. This will create a new drive letter in Windows Explorer for your TP (remember this drive letter).
    - Copy the keypatch folder to your TouchPad."

What do I do instead being on a Mac?
    I dont have Windows Eplorer, etc.................
    The same basic thing in your mac file browser .

I'm sorry, not a big mac user here, so I don't know what it's called - but I know there's a file-exploring program on the mac that allows you to move files to and from the touchpad. All this is saying is you need to copy the keypatch file to your touchpad - just like you'd copy music or pictures or whatever. If you know how to do that, you know how to do this.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Love that patch!
    guys i installed uberkernal from preware, but the profile doesnt show up on govnah. I only have two profiles: OnDemandTcl1512 and Palm Default. I've already tried restarting the TP. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spliff View Post
    guys i installed uberkernal from preware, but the profile doesnt show up on govnah. I only have two profiles: OnDemandTcl1512 and Palm Default. I've already tried restarting the TP. Any ideas?
    The OnDemandTcl1512 is the overclocked 1.512Ghz profile. Select it and your TP will run at 1.512Ghz on both processors instead of the stock 1.2Ghz.

Sent from my Dell Venue using Tapatalk
    Hi, I've read the getting started guide with interest after my girlfriend chose a Touchpad (via a friends recommendation) for Xmas. She's a film buff and really wants to rip DVDs from her vast collection to the DVD.

I'd like to correct Ncinirates article on Handbrake. On Vista Handbrake doesn't recognize when you put in a DVD and you have to choose it from Source. The Framerate change is listed under the Video tab in Output not under advanced. Finally, I'd have to say that this program is useless. I've tried 4 latest dvd's and the only thing I've managed to transfer via USB is a garbled mess. I know this is a freebee but I wondered if anybody had any recommendations on a paid for DVD that really works well on TPad? The 'friend' used a paid for ripper but these didn't work for all the films either. Would I also have to combine this program with the Kalemsoft player also?

Any advice here would be appreciated as this is the main point of the purchase in the first place. If the TP cant do this it might as well end up on ebay.
  9.    #909  
    Quote Originally Posted by DevonRaiderUK View Post
    Hi, I've read the getting started guide with interest after my girlfriend chose a Touchpad (via a friends recommendation) for Xmas. She's a film buff and really wants to rip DVDs from her vast collection to the DVD.

I'd like to correct Ncinirates article on Handbrake. On Vista Handbrake doesn't recognize when you put in a DVD and you have to choose it from Source. The Framerate change is listed under the Video tab in Output not under advanced. Finally, I'd have to say that this program is useless. I've tried 4 latest dvd's and the only thing I've managed to transfer via USB is a garbled mess. I know this is a freebee but I wondered if anybody had any recommendations on a paid for DVD that really works well on TPad? The 'friend' used a paid for ripper but these didn't work for all the films either. Would I also have to combine this program with the Kalemsoft player also?

Any advice here would be appreciated as this is the main point of the purchase in the first place. If the TP cant do this it might as well end up on ebay.
    The kalemsoft player can play standard format videos with no conversion required quite handily.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Hi,

thanks for the response, it maybe me showing my computer illiteracy but it doesn't appear to solve my problem. Downloading the Kalemsoft player to the Tpad isn't going to make the job of ripping our owned DVD's to our laptop any easier. Unless somebody can recommend a DVD ripper that works well on the latest titles and works well with the TPad I'm back at square one. I dont want to go to the file sharing method of downloading films via torrents etc and transferring them across.

I'm really surprised that there isn't more info about this on the forums. Surely the whole point of a tablet is to be a lightweight portable viewing platform for internet and files, with films / tv in all likelihood for most people being high on the list. My girlfriend is completely impulsive and just sees a shiny bit of kit that can (or should) play films. The more I look it the more it concerns me that it's just not that simple. Are all tablets similar in that respect or is the TPad just a bad purchase?
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    after playing around a bit I used handbrake and dvd43......I am successfuly converting dvd's from laptop drive to digital copies and copying them to TP without any issues...play around a bit....I am finding that having to exercise computer skills to get data on the device is a hassle and thinking that non geek types will never be able to do this...but .... that is what we are presented with and so be it......
    Thanks for your honest feedback, it wasn't the reply I was hoping for tho! I found a review of the dvd43 program you suggest and it's a free to try. I don't mind paying for something but would expect it to work on most, if not all, DVD's.

I've read a review of 123dvd which is free and has produced results so will give it a try and give feedback.
    Just an update on my above posts as I've had a bit of success!

I downloaded Freemake Video Converter version 3.0.1 via CNet's secure download which is absolutely free. Put in a latest DVD, pushed the DVD button and after a few mins all the relevant chapters were listed with the Freemake software pre-selecting the important main part of the film. Push OK and then select MP4 as your source. It took about 2 and a half hours to cook but stored it nicely under films in the Vista operating system and displays the folder on the screen. Before I had a chance to lose the MP4 file (honestly I'm that bad with computers!) I connected the Touchpad and just dragged and dropped the titled film from the Computer films to the Touchpad Movies. Safely ejected via my Computer, clicked on the film on the TouchPad and playing in perfect DVD quality and sound was the latest title!

I know it's early days but this is so much more easier (and successful) than Handbrake. No mucking around with changing parameters under tabs etc. The only con I can see is that when the Touchpad locks itself just above the yellow padlock that you drag up there is an option saying 'CNet download tap to add as search engine'. This disappears when you unlock. Got a 2nd film cooking at 14% right now so fingers crossed! Will report back if that goes ok as Ncinerate might want to change the user guide!
  14.    #914  
    Just an update on my above posts as I've had a bit of success!

I downloaded Freemake Video Converter version 3.0.1 via CNet's secure download which is absolutely free. Put in a latest DVD, pushed the DVD button and after a few mins all the relevant chapters were listed with the Freemake software pre-selecting the important main part of the film. Push OK and then select MP4 as your source. It took about 2 and a half hours to cook but stored it nicely under films in the Vista operating system and displays the folder on the screen. Before I had a chance to lose the MP4 file (honestly I'm that bad with computers!) I connected the Touchpad and just dragged and dropped the titled film from the Computer films to the Touchpad Movies. Safely ejected via my Computer, clicked on the film on the TouchPad and playing in perfect DVD quality and sound was the latest title!

I know it's early days but this is so much more easier (and successful) than Handbrake. No mucking around with changing parameters under tabs etc. The only con I can see is that when the Touchpad locks itself just above the yellow padlock that you drag up there is an option saying 'CNet download tap to add as search engine'. This disappears when you unlock. Got a 2nd film cooking at 14% right now so fingers crossed! Will report back if that goes ok as Ncinerate might want to change the user guide!
    I have no problem using handbrake to do this - I've converted dozens of movies using my exact instructions with no issues whatsoever.

Glad to hear you found a program that works for you though . The touchpad is completely capable of playing video, so that's not a problem.

Kalemsoft might still be worth picking up btw - it plays more formats than the standard touchpad video player and can handle video that has been encoded at higher quality settings (so, you can drag-drop any existing video content you have on your computer and it will play cleanly). It won't rip a DVD, obviously, but it'll play a DVD rip without a problem . If all you're looking to ever play on the touchpad is video ripped from your own dvd's, it's probably not worth it. If you might occasionally have video that you didn't rip yourself, kalemsoft is there to help.

johnjaycee likes this.
    Au contraire Ncinerate. Our DVD collection is currently being shipped to / from Tpad courtesy of the Kalemsoft Media Player with ease. Using Freemake I've ripped to MP4 about 4 films so far of which only one of them plays on the TPad movie app. I've downloaded and installed the Kalemsoft player to my PC and uploaded to the Touchpad and then tried the same films, and we have one happy Mrs! I take it the downloadable Kalemsoft version is only a trial version??? The purchase price isn't earth shattering at $4-99 right now but what I've got so far is making the Tpad usable. Please advise as it doesn't say on their website.

There's only one latest film so far that Freemake hasn't ripped. You should really give it a mention on your user guide as it blows Handbrake into the weeds and is absolutely free to download via CNET's virus checked connection. As I said, bung in a DVD into your PC, click to upload from DVD, put the output to MP4 then transfer. Job done, view it on the Kalemsoft player.

It's a shame that the T-Pad hasn't been continued. It's obviously a well built bit of kit that could have gone places. I've read on the web that the OS is flawed and it's slow etc. Total crap. They could have sold shedloads of these if they just made it user friendly and got it to do the basics of what the non-geek masses (meaning me) need. People dont want to go through the aggravation of what I've faffed around with. Media players like the Kalemsoft should be on there as standard. Oh well, the things you do for a good woman...
  16.    #916  
    Au contraire Ncinerate. Our DVD collection is currently being shipped to / from Tpad courtesy of the Kalemsoft Media Player with ease. Using Freemake I've ripped to MP4 about 4 films so far of which only one of them plays on the TPad movie app. I've downloaded and installed the Kalemsoft player to my PC and uploaded to the Touchpad and then tried the same films, and we have one happy Mrs! I take it the downloadable Kalemsoft version is only a trial version??? The purchase price isn't earth shattering at $4-99 right now but what I've got so far is making the Tpad usable. Please advise as it doesn't say on their website.

There's only one latest film so far that Freemake hasn't ripped. You should really give it a mention on your user guide as it blows Handbrake into the weeds and is absolutely free to download via CNET's virus checked connection. As I said, bung in a DVD into your PC, click to upload from DVD, put the output to MP4 then transfer. Job done, view it on the Kalemsoft player.

It's a shame that the T-Pad hasn't been continued. It's obviously a well built bit of kit that could have gone places. I've read on the web that the OS is flawed and it's slow etc. Total crap. They could have sold shedloads of these if they just made it user friendly and got it to do the basics of what the non-geek masses (meaning me) need. People dont want to go through the aggravation of what I've faffed around with. Media players like the Kalemsoft should be on there as standard. Oh well, the things you do for a good woman...
    I think you misunderstand me. Yes, kalemsoft media player is great for this, that's what I was saying - that you -should- pick up kalemsoft media player because it'll play just about any video format ever made (including your rips).

I'm not sure that it is using the onboard graphics chip to do this however - it's possible battery draw through kalemsoft may be higher than the built-in video player (unsubstantiated, I havent followed the kalemsoft project, I may be COMPLETELY wrong here). I know battery life is quite nice in the stock player, which is one of the reasons I tossed out some handbrake settings that worked with it.

Anyway, glad to hear everything is working for you!

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Hi, I was just reading thru this, and I don't know if someone has already pointed it out or not, but I'm guessing the charges splits in two so that the actual circuitry is universal and they only have to send out a different end/plug form factor to each country (since many of them have different plug shapes). Cheaper for them, cheaper for you (if you move, etc).

That said, I'm not sure HP sells the end bits for each country, I haven't checkedů At least I know this is why Apple uses modular chargers (for lappys and their USB charger).

In case it's not clear, I'm refearing to the bit were you say
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Your charger can split into two pieces (for some unknown reason).

Hope I helped
    Quote Originally Posted by adriangb View Post
    I'm guessing the charges splits in two so that the actual circuitry is universal and they only have to send out a different end/plug form factor to each country
    You are exactly right.
    time to update the OP to webos 3.0.5...
    Hey guys i need help. Ncinerate help. I was updating my touchpad to the 3.0.5 today and everything was ok but the update didnt complete and the touchpad now hAs a black screen with a triangular attention sign and it only says www.palm.com/ROM.. It wont turn off and i'm at my university i cant get to my laptop right now. Is it ok if the battery runs out right now? Should i do a doctor when i get home? Im a little freaked out i've never done one of those before. Please reply