Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst 123456789 14 54 ... LastLast
Like Tree309Likes
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Make sure the touchpad is in developer mode first and foremost. Try a few other things (switching usb port, reinstalling driver, etc).
    Yea I tried that...reinstalled the driver, redownloaded webosquickinstall, different usb ports and am in developer mode.
  2.    #62  
    Try to perform a webos doctor on your touchpad, see what happens.
    This is all great info, THX!

Can anyone help with a streaming video problem: I cannot get HBO GO to stream. Others have said that it works no problem but it just hangs for me. Sometimes it will start and then stop. Sometimes the website won't even load.

SOme other video seems to be fine running in the browser like youtube and hulu. Amazon instant video is also a problem. HBO series and movies are all I watch on the small screen.

Thanks in advance for your help :-)

--MM
  4.    #64  
    Everything I'm reading says HBOGO works fine on the touchpad. I'm not an HBO subscriber so I can't personally test it, but I'm going to go with the crowd and say it might be something to do with your touchpad...

No idea. If it's really something you want to use my suggestion is start fresh with a webos doctor and see if it works, then add patches while making sure none interfere with the website. It's -possible- one of the patches is having an effect, although I doubt it.
    oh sorry ncinerate, didnt read all of you post, i got my answer
    Just wanted to say thanks on this awesome guide. Managed to pick up a touchpad and wasn't quite sure what to do with it besides browse the web until I saw this post. Thanks for the help!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Really nice guide OP. Thanks for that. Have a couple of questions though, if you don't mind. In your post you state, "Now, plug your touchpad into your computer with the usb cable, and open up webos quick install. DO NOT PUT THE TOUCHPAD INTO MASS STORAGE USB MODE, just leave it charging and on normally." Now when my TP is plugged into my pc via USB it states, "Tap 'USB Drive' to transfer files to and from your computer. To charge your device, use the power supply that came with it." What am I doing wrong?

The other question I have is whether it is possible to access shares from the TP. I have a NAS drive and would dearly love to access my music from it without having to transfer files to the TP. The same for movies to be honest too.

Really pleased with my 2x32GB I got apart from slight "bulging" around the bezel where the main button/USB slot is. Seems like a slight factory error but no point trying to change them as there aren't any left
    Awesome, thanks so much. It helps a lot
    Okay...I'm a real chicken on doing anything to these devices because I'll end up with one of those "huh, never heard of that before" comments and my new TP will be gone (and no replacements available!). However, I am interested in getting a little more speed and on another post it talked about setting the log levels to a minimum. This seems pretty simple and something even I could do (I actually almost had this done but chickened out with the warning of "This can't be undone"). So my question, is this still a good thing to do and are there any negatives to it? Has anyone messed their TP up doing this? I just don't want to mess this up. Thanks in advance....if I start out slow....maybe I'll work my way up to the PreWare.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

Be a Patriot, pray for Obama, Psalm 109:8

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Is there anyway to get pReader without getting it via App Catalog? I have the Native Alpha version but I would like to get something more stable but can't access it since I have a demo unit. On that note, is there anyway to access webOS apps without having the service? I'm pretty happy just running preware but it'd be great if I could get more content.
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Okay...I'm a real chicken on doing anything to these devices because I'll end up with one of those "huh, never heard of that before" comments and my new TP will be gone (and no replacements available!). However, I am interested in getting a little more speed and on another post it talked about setting the log levels to a minimum. This seems pretty simple and something even I could do (I actually almost had this done but chickened out with the warning of "This can't be undone"). So my question, is this still a good thing to do and are there any negatives to it? Has anyone messed their TP up doing this? I just don't want to mess this up. Thanks in advance....if I start out slow....maybe I'll work my way up to the PreWare.
    I was like you when I first got my Pre but let me tell you, it's so easy to install Preware and install/uninstall patches without screwing things up. Trust me just go for it, you won't be sorry. I just set my wife's TP up in a few minutes with Preware and some patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post
    I was like you when I first got my Pre but let me tell you, it's so easy to install Preware and install/uninstall patches without screwing things up. Trust me just go for it, you won't be sorry. I just set my wife's TP up in a few minutes with Preware and some patches.
    How about the logging levels to minimal step mentioned in this article: How to improve the performance of your new HP TouchPad | ZDNet Is this still a good step to do? I'd like to try something basic first, then move from there. Anyone have problems with this? But thanks for the encouragement!

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  13.    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by diamond_jigsaw View Post
    Is there anyway to get pReader without getting it via App Catalog? I have the Native Alpha version but I would like to get something more stable but can't access it since I have a demo unit. On that note, is there anyway to access webOS apps without having the service? I'm pretty happy just running preware but it'd be great if I could get more content.
    As I recall, the app catalog version of preader is actually less-feature filled than the "native alpha" version. So, enjoy what you have . If you ask the developer really nicely he might be willing to shoot you a .ipk file as well, which you can easily install using webOS quick install or internalz.
  14.    #74  
    How about the logging levels to minimal step mentioned in this article: How to improve the performance of your new HP TouchPad | ZDNet Is this still a good step to do? I'd like to try something basic first, then move from there. Anyone have problems with this? But thanks for the encouragement!
    Absolutely do it. The touchpad is logging all sorts of stuff and wasting energy and critical processor power to do so - all to send silly logs to HP every day. Much of that process is a holdover from the palm phones. It's unnecessary and slows your device down.

Kill the logging, don't hesitate. IMHO it makes more difference than even a slight overclock.

Also, despite what the touchpad says, it CAN be undone. Simply run webOS doctor and you'll bring your touchpad right back to stock-from-the-factory, INCLUDING logging. So, have no fear.
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by -BA- View Post
    Really nice guide OP. Thanks for that. Have a couple of questions though, if you don't mind. In your post you state, "Now, plug your touchpad into your computer with the usb cable, and open up webos quick install. DO NOT PUT THE TOUCHPAD INTO MASS STORAGE USB MODE, just leave it charging and on normally." Now when my TP is plugged into my pc via USB it states, "Tap 'USB Drive' to transfer files to and from your computer. To charge your device, use the power supply that came with it." What am I doing wrong?
    Ahh, sorry about that. Most usb ports from CPU's dont put out enough power to charge the touchpad. Talking about "leaving it charging" is actually a holdout from my palm pre days (if you didnt put your pre into USB mode, it went into "charging" mode). I'll fix that in the original post.

What I meant there is simply plug the touchpad into the computer. Don't put it into USB storage mode, just leave it plugged in and on normally.

As for your NAS questions, I'm afraid I don't have the relevant hardware to test or assist you in setting it up. Sorry.
    Thanks great walkthru. A couple things on there that I didnt grab yet.
    SCK Manager
    Agree with ncinerate, do it. I just did it and noticed a marked improvement in speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post
    Agree with ncinerate, do it. I just did it and noticed a marked improvement in speed.
    Well.....grrrrrrrr.....did that one step (the minimal logging step) and dang if some things are acting up. At first, it did seem a bit "snappier", and then I started testing some apps and noticed it was a little more difficult to flip up to minimize....it had been a breeze. Then I tried to open up Sports Illustrated and it wouldn't open...rats. Not sure if it was an SI issue, or the minimal logging deal. I then did a restart and after coming back on it still seems a bit sluggish but I was able to get SI to open. This is what I was afraid of.....grrrrrrrr. Is it normal for things to act a bit odd after making such a change?

UPDATE Well....the swipe up is different than before & is a more slow movement up. Quite odd but getting used to it.
    Last edited by clemgrad85; 08/23/2011 at 08:10 PM.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Absolutely do it. The touchpad is logging all sorts of stuff and wasting energy and critical processor power to do so - all to send silly logs to HP every day. Much of that process is a holdover from the palm phones. It's unnecessary and slows your device down.

Kill the logging, don't hesitate. IMHO it makes more difference than even a slight overclock.

Also, despite what the touchpad says, it CAN be undone. Simply run webOS doctor and you'll bring your touchpad right back to stock-from-the-factory, INCLUDING logging. So, have no fear.
    Not finding a dial-pad tab as the article suggests when I open Phone & Video Calls. I've updated to 3.02

Any help is appreciated.
    What a great resource for new owners. Love the wallpaper!