Page 39 of 55 FirstFirst ... 29343536373839404142434449 ... LastLast
Like Tree309Likes
    A very useful thread - The very first thing I did on my tablet was to upgrade to 3.0.4 so now I am running at 1.5 Ghz on both cores. I didn't know how 1.2 Ghz would have felt, but what I see now is quite snappy with occasional couple of seconds of lag, which I honestly don't care about. Hope to see some more performance tweaks and patches on 3.0.4 to go to 1.7 Ghz and I think that's the maximum I will keep it at.
  2.    #762  
    Quote Originally Posted by nadmaj View Post
    hey thanks a million i held the on/off button and the centre button down for 15 seconds the hp logo apperared. brilliant. now do i go and reinstall webos doctor again

ok ive got webos doctor on my laptop and when putting the usb cable into the touchpad the usb icon shows on the touchpad and then nothing happens art that point its also greyed out on the computer screen- whats suppose to happen next
    You need novacom installed on the laptop so it can "see" the touchpad. You need to read and perform the instructions step by step.

Also, why are you doctoring in the first place? Remember, -only- doctor if you have a good reason to.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    johnjaycee likes this.
  3. IMF
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex80386 View Post
    Root filesystem is mounted read-only by default, so if we need to make changes, we can remount it read-write for a short time while we run the command...

mount -o remount,rw /
    mkdir /media/ext3fs
    mount -o remount,ro /
    Thanks. I will try this this evening and see how it goes. Another (related) question. I noticed that Xterm, Xserver, and Xecutah are all in the regular preware feeds. Is it still necessary to find them in the testing feeds? My assumption is that this was just older instructions in need of updating. Also, it might be worth noting that Xserver does not show up as a separate item in Xecutah anymore, but is launched automatically with Xterm. When I get this to work, I'll make another post with all of the needed updates so that we can keep the info in the first post current.

Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    Whoa! Just noticed you joined in July of 2009 and you only have 2 posts?! Dude!
    LOL. Let's just say that I've been away for a while....I signed up initially because I was planning on getting a Pre from Bell when it launched, but plans changed and I ended up with an iPhone through work. In the end, the touchpad brought me back and I'm glad to be here!

Thanks again for the help!
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    You need novacom installed on the laptop so it can "see" the touchpad. You need to read and perform the instructions step by step.

Also, why are you doctoring in the first place? Remember, -only- doctor if you have a good reason to.
    right ok won't docor any more. now off to novacom.

thanks
    I've updated my touchpad to 3.04 and installed the preware and UberKernel with the developer mode on. However, I was not able to install Govna. When I tried to installed, it kept giving this message Unable to run command:/usr/bin/curl--user-agent Preware-create-dirs--insecure--location--fail--show error-- curl6) Could not resolve host: ipkg.preware.org (Could not contact DNS servers). I've followed every steps according to the instruction on this webboard and didnt know what I have done wrong.

Never mind. It works now
    Last edited by kcalderon82; 10/24/2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: follow up.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I like "getting starting" IT's great now I am runing 1.5 on update 3.0.4 What are the steps to run 1.7 do I follow the old patches?
    Few questions:

After installing uberkernal, govna etc does developer mode need to be switched off?

Is the increase volume patch arrived yet? Or is it not under patches? First time on saturday it actually was too quiet, on webOS 3.0.3 I often had to turn the thing down!

Is there anything to stop searches being added to "just type?" I see there's "disable search engine notifications" but this still adds the search engine. Looking for the same thing without adding a search engine! :P
  8.    #768  
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrannosauRoss View Post
    Few questions:

After installing uberkernal, govna etc does developer mode need to be switched off?

Is the increase volume patch arrived yet? Or is it not under patches? First time on saturday it actually was too quiet, on webOS 3.0.3 I often had to turn the thing down!

Is there anything to stop searches being added to "just type?" I see there's "disable search engine notifications" but this still adds the search engine. Looking for the same thing without adding a search engine! :P
    I believe the increase volume patch isn't out yet for 3.0.4 - it should be soon.

Disabling the whole adding of search engines hasn't been figured out/implemented as-yet. Eventually .

As for dev-mode, just leave it on. No harm in it.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    johnjaycee likes this.
  9.    #769  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1969bob View Post
    I like "getting starting" IT's great now I am runing 1.5 on update 3.0.4 What are the steps to run 1.7 do I follow the old patches?
    I don't break down the steps to run 1.7 or higher speeds because these are advanced ALPHA kernels and haven't proven to be entirely safe. To run them, you will need to activate alpha and beta channels in preware, and to do that, you will need to read.

Here is the relevant information:

Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals

My view on this is if you're able to figure out how to do it, and willing to burn your touchpad into a pile of slag, go for it. Otherwise, stick with 1.5ghz - you'll get almost all of the performance benefit of overclocking with none of the danger.

I see that Muffle System Logging, Buttah (Formally Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness 10), Faster Card Animations, Remove Dropped Packet Logging, and Unset CFQ IO Scheduler are all back in preware.

Do we know yet if these work well with the new update, or are even necessary?

Also someone mentioned in another thread to install EOM Overloard Monitoring...I have never heard of this one before. Any input?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I believe the increase volume patch isn't out yet for 3.0.4 - it should be soon.

Disabling the whole adding of search engines hasn't been figured out/implemented as-yet. Eventually .

As for dev-mode, just leave it on. No harm in it.
    There is a patch in preware as of today to disable the notification to add search engines.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex80386 View Post
    Root filesystem is mounted read-only by default, so if we need to make changes, we can remount it read-write for a short time while we run the command...

mount -o remount,rw /
    mkdir /media/ext3fs
    mount -o remount,ro /
    OK. I know I am not the only one.. but where oh wehere do we type the commands? I do not see it at all on the TP or the webos quicinstall. Yes, I am a Linux virgin. I need someone to hold my hand and tell me what to get where and how to.
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    I see that Muffle System Logging, Buttah (Formally Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness 10), Faster Card Animations, Remove Dropped Packet Logging, and Unset CFQ IO Scheduler are all back in preware.

Also someone mentioned in another thread to install EOM Overloard Monitoring...I have never heard of this one before. Any input?

Thanks!
    I would appreciate a read on these also. I have some of them installed but don't notice much of a difference.
    I was just about to ask ncinerate about this.... Any ideas OP? We are all looking forward to your response lol.... Oh touchpad master :-P

edit: I took the plunge... Did the
    muffle
    quite powerd
    remove drop pkts
    and buttah
    faster card animation

seems ok so far I'll see how it goes and report back
    Last edited by mibaksh; 10/25/2011 at 08:52 PM.
    stepping over to the dark CM side of things. They offered me cookies and candy.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Pls. Help!!!

I had installed some patches (3.0.2) such as: Increase Touch Sensitivity, Muffle System Logging, Custom Browser Gestures & after the 3.0.4 update and availability to update for the said patches, there's an error in installing.

Thnx , appreciate your help.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Pls. Help!!!

I had installed some patches (3.0.2) such as: Increase Touch Sensitivity, Muffle System Logging, Custom Browser Gestures & after the 3.0.4 update and availability to update for the said patches, there's an error in installing.

17.    #777  
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post

Thanks!
    Sorry for the lack of response on this - my life outside the touchpad has been chaotic the last couple of days .

To break things down:

Remove Dropped Packet Loging = it cleans things up internally but won't represent any kind of major performance boost - I prefer to eliminate all logging possible on my device as there is really no benefit to allowing it to continue.

Unset CFQ IO Scheduler = not terribly important unless your using an advanced overclock kernel (like warthog or one of the F variants). This is unnecessary for uberkernel or stock palm kernal usage.

Faster Card Animations = this simply speeds up the animation as cards open - it is a placebo effect that makes the touchpad FEEL faster even though it doesn't actually give you a stopwatch-based speed boost.

Buttah = I honestly don't see any issues with touchscreen sensitivity in 3.0.4. This patch is supposed to improve sensitivity a bit, and in 3.0.2 it was absolutely a huge difference, but in 3.0.4 I cannot honestly tell a difference between installed and uninstalled. YMMV.

Muffle System Logging = Do it. This is an honest-to-goodness improvement. On one hand it gets rid of the unnecessarily high logging levels on the touchpad, on the other, it represents a small performance boost.

johnjaycee likes this.
  18.    #778  
    Quote Originally Posted by arn6735 View Post
    Pls. Help!!!

Try removing the patches and reinstalling. Failing that, I'm afraid your install may be borked.... You can try to ask the internals crew, although it may be possible you need to visit the webOS doctor.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arn6735 View Post
    Pls. Help!!!

it seems that MSL is the patch causing the problem. Update the others individually. I haven't seen an answer to the MSL issue yet.
    I followed all instructions after having to webos doctor my tp. Was able to get preware downloaded and running, installed the recommended patches, and now when i go back to preware its stuck on the reading saved package list page?!?!?! HELP