Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 212627282930313233343536 41 ... LastLast
Like Tree309Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    The mac should be fairly similar, as the only thing you actually need to do on the PC (or one of the -few- things) is install novacom drivers so you can install preware into the touchpad with webos quick install.

Webos quick install is a java app, so it'll run in mac just fine.... What kind of error message are you getting? Webos quick install doesn't install, it just runs - it's a .jar file. Do you have java installed?

First, let me thank you for your thread here. This is great! You put a lot of work into it and i do want you to know that i am very grateful to be able to use it to learn from and set up my device.
    Thank you again! ;-)

Yes i do have Java installed.
    A couple of posts above my initial one I see someone else saying they are having the exact problem as I am on their Mac.

For some reason I seem to remember reading a thread somewhere yesterday about "jailbreaking" the HP Touchpad (or whatever the term is for the HP) and I saw mention of problems with drivers for LION on Apple.
    Someone, a Jason I think it was, someone that i believe is from this forum but now works for Hp possibly, had a post about getting the drivers but the link given was dead.
    In any event........I am new to this and I dont know much about it but I am almost sure I saw something about these different drivers needed for Mac.

As for the error i am getting its not giving me any particular error number but I have to believe others trying to do this on LION are having problems as well OR either know something about other drivers as well?

Sorry I am unable to give you an exact error.

I am correct in saying that the download IS supposed to go to my mac and not into the HP device itself, right?
    For it so wouldn't it stand to reason that they might require different drivers as well?

I am going to leave a secondary message on the forum hoping to catch the eye of someone that uses a mac to see if they are aware of any particular Different drivers needed for the Mac.

Hopefully between you and perhaps a Mac user we can figure out what is wrong

I would, actually, like to "jailbreak" I guess you could call it, my device anyhow and I understand its not frowned upon as it is by Apple???!!!

Heres the post from the other Mac user with the same problem:

Backbraker25:

" Will your instructions work on a Mac? it seems everything revolves around Windows.
    I followed your instructions, and can't even install Webos Doctor on my Mac without getting an error message.

Can you refer me to instrucions for Mac? it would truly appreciated. I just received my TP yesterday. so yeah... I'm a real newbie."
    Last edited by ShelaghDB; 09/25/2011 at 01:31 PM.
  2.    #602  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShelaghDB View Post
    First, let me thank you for your thread here. This is great! You put a lot of work into it and i do want you to know that i am very grateful to be able to use it to learn from and set up my device.
    Thank you again! ;-)

Yes i do have Java installed.
    A couple of posts above my initial one I see someone else saying they are having the exact problem as I am on their Mac.

For some reason I seem to remember reading a thread somewhere yesterday about "jailbreaking" the HP Touchpad (or whatever the term is for the HP) and I saw mention of problems with drivers for LION on Apple.
    Someone, a Jason I think it was, someone that i believe is from this forum but now works for Hp possibly, had a post about getting the drivers but the link given was dead.
    In any event........I am new to this and I dont know much about it but I am almost sure I saw something about these different drivers needed for Mac.

As for the error i am getting its not giving me any particular error number but I have to believe others trying to do this on LION are having problems as well OR either know something about other drivers as well?

Sorry I am unable to give you an exact error.

I am correct in saying that the download IS supposed to go to my mac and not into the HP device itself, right?
    For it so wouldn't it stand to reason that they might require different drivers as well?

I am going to leave a secondary message on the forum hoping to catch the eye of someone that uses a mac to see if they are aware of any particular Different drivers needed for the Mac.

Hopefully between you and perhaps a Mac user we can figure out what is wrong

I would, actually, like to "jailbreak" I guess you could call it, my device anyhow and I understand its not frowned upon as it is by Apple???!!!

Heres the post from the other Mac user with the same problem:

Backbraker25:

" Will your instructions work on a Mac? it seems everything revolves around Windows.
    I followed your instructions, and can't even install Webos Doctor on my Mac without getting an error message.

Can you refer me to instrucions for Mac? it would truly appreciated. I just received my TP yesterday. so yeah... I'm a real newbie."
    Try these instructions, specifically the part about "Installing Preware using the official HP/Palm SDK".

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

If that doesn't work for you, my suggestion is to stop trying to use a mac to get preware on the touchpad .

Either use someone elses computer, or load up virtualbox on your mac, install ubuntu into virtualbox, and do everything from there. Easy as pie - a bit annoying but it'll work.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Quote Originally Posted by chicle View Post
    I've replied to this twice, but replies are not showing up. Will try again, and sorry if they all show up :-)

I have re-booted several times, but problem persists. I get good audio using music app and with native video app, as well as Touchplayer and Kalem Media Player. Any help/insights will be greatly appreciated.
    wow! when it happened to mine... i could only hear system sounds like ringer volume and everything else like youtube, music app, etc were all broken.

did you try other flash sites?

im going out on a limb here but just last night i used ncinerate's guide on flash local storage clearing, try that and see? may be some crazy settings were saved and that could clear it...
    (yea sorry nc, i only realized how serious a security risk it was last night )
    Quote Originally Posted by mibaksh View Post
    wow! when it happened to mine... i could only hear system sounds like ringer volume and everything else like youtube, music app, etc were all broken.

did you try other flash sites?

im going out on a limb here but just last night i used ncinerate's guide on flash local storage clearing, try that and see? may be some crazy settings were saved and that could clear it...
    (yea sorry nc, i only realized how serious a security risk it was last night )

Thank you! I cleared the flash storage and that did the trick. Funny how I could go to other sites plus listen to music, but not the comedy channel's audio.

Thanks again!
    I now understand the joke about the wallpaper at the beginning of this thread.
    Last edited by ShelaghDB; 09/25/2011 at 11:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chicle View Post
    Thank you! I cleared the flash storage and that did the trick. Funny how I could go to other sites plus listen to music, but not the comedy channel's audio.

Thanks again!
    yay! Glad to hear that solved it! Thanks to ncinerate because I didn't even realize such a thing existed lol.
    apparently I do have webOS Doctor installed OTA

Now on to the other tweaks etc.....

Sorry but it seems i was really confused and now seem to have a better understanding of it but as i understand now, the webOSdoctor just updated easily by the update app......so I didnt need to use a computer at all.
    Last edited by ShelaghDB; 09/26/2011 at 12:19 AM.
    NOTE:
    webOS Doctor is a program that you install on to your PC. You use it to restore your device to a factory condition. Here are the instructions on how to use it. How To Recover - WebOS Internals

You probably mean Preware on your TouchPad? Ah I see you used the update app, so you just updated webOS to 3.0.2 OTA....that's not using the Doctor.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Just wanted to say "Thanks" again to ncinerate! I used this guide when I first got my pad and I check back every once in a while to see what's been updated. Great Guide! Has helped me a ton.
    This doesn't seem to be working for me. I updated my touchpad, it was fully charged, I did the full erase, shut it completely off, downloaded web doctor and ran it. But whenever I plug my touchpad in, the first time for every USB port it says "the device drivers were not found" and then after that nothing happens when I try to plug it in again.

And yes I am holding the volume up button while doing this.
  11.    #611  
    Quote Originally Posted by EdenHall View Post
    This doesn't seem to be working for me. I updated my touchpad, it was fully charged, I did the full erase, shut it completely off, downloaded web doctor and ran it. But whenever I plug my touchpad in, the first time for every USB port it says "the device drivers were not found" and then after that nothing happens when I try to plug it in again.

And yes I am holding the volume up button while doing this.
    Sounds like you need to focus on getting the novacom drivers installed properly.

On another note, why are you trying to doctor? Only doctor if you have a reason to... Upgrade with the built-in upgrade app if possible and go from there.

Worst case, if you NEED to doctor, try installing the palm SDK to install novacom. That should solve your driver issue.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Sounds like you need to focus on getting the novacom drivers installed properly.

On another note, why are you trying to doctor? Only doctor if you have a reason to... Upgrade with the built-in upgrade app if possible and go from there.

Worst case, if you NEED to doctor, try installing the palm SDK to install novacom. That should solve your driver issue.
    Oh god rofl, that's some pretty big fail on my part. I've just been following it step by step, didn't know you didn't need to do this if you could update properly:

"1: You are going to be connecting your device to your computer using the USB cable. You must connect your device directly to your computer, not through a USB hub or other intermediate device. Prepare for this step but do NOT plug the touchpad into the computer just yet.
    2: Now the tricky part. Hold the Volume Up button on the device and insert the USB cable into your computer, and the other end into your touchpad. After the large USB symbol appears on your touchpad screen, let go of the Volume Up button. If you see the HP logo instead of the large USB symbol, you may have let go of the Volume Up button prematurely. If this occurred , wait until your device boots up, shut down your device and then repeat step
    3: Windows will find your device and may offer to install two different drivers.
    4: When asked to install drivers of OMAP, select No, not at this time.
    5: When asked to install drivers for Palm Novacom (bootie), select Yes and let the drivers install. This may take a while. Once the drivers have been installed, the Next button will become available in webOS Doctor.
    6: Click Next.
    7: Do not disconnect your device from the computer during the update process.
    8: When the Reset Complete screen appears, click Done.
    9: Wait a few minutes for your device to reset.
    10: You're done!

Some troubleshooting if things aren't working correctly (taken straight from palm):

If the Next button remains unavailable, it may be because your device was disconnected from your computer during the driver installation process. In this circumstance, Windows cannot communicate with your device to install the drivers until you clear the driver installation state."

Still, when I plugged it in the drivers couldn't instal. Should I have it running when I plug it in? Or completely shut off?
    Ok never mind, I got everything to work.
    Can you install a mouse instead of synaptics over ubuntu on Touchpad? The usb port can be used. I have used keyboards via the usb. The TP also has some kind of response when I plug mice in the usb hub. If a mouse can be used, ubuntu could be more fun on touchpad. Thanks.
    Hi guys,

Thanks so much for creating and contributing to this wonderful community and making the lives of first-time touchpad users like myself a lot easier. The whole plethora of information available is just spectacular.

Can any kind soul point me in the direction where I can locate information to install some patch that allows me to do a Luna Restart without having to launch Preware?

I saw a screenshot somewhere on this forum that holding onto the power button at the top for a few seconds opened a "Luna Restart" option too, besides "Airplane Mode", "Shut down" and "Cancel" options.

Thanks in advance!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineArch View Post
    Hi guys,

Thanks so much for creating and contributing to this wonderful community and making the lives of first-time touchpad users like myself a lot easier. The whole plethora of information available is just spectacular.

Can any kind soul point me in the direction where I can locate information to install some patch that allows me to do a Luna Restart without having to launch Preware?

I saw a screenshot somewhere on this forum that holding onto the power button at the top for a few seconds opened a "Luna Restart" option too, besides "Airplane Mode", "Shut down" and "Cancel" options.

Thanks in advance!!
    In Preware, download the patch 'advanced reset options'. It does just what you want.
    ncinerate... just thought id point out something else again. coming from another thread, a user made an app to enable proxy server settings input and it works... well for me at my uni. the info is here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...browser-3.html

there are two users doing separate stuff wrt to it.
    Splashtop HD needs to be on this guide.
  19.    #619  
    Quote Originally Posted by UCLAKoolman View Post
    Splashtop HD needs to be on this guide.
    It is, in the app catalog recommendations.

I've been meaning to put a bigger blurb with pics etc up, but haven't gotten around to it. Crazy busy over the last week or two.

For the record though - splashtop is awesome and well worth the $$$. Awesome stuff.

whoops i missed seeing it there! How long has splashtop been out on the touchpad?