Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 12345678 13 53 ... LastLast
Like Tree309Likes
  1.    #41  
    Nope, it's a little easter egg fun. Only works one way. Someone might be able to patch it...
    Ok, so I am trying this stuff and it doesn't seem to be seeing the touchpad. I installed webOS quick install and it says no device
  3.    #43  
    Ok Drachen. You need Novacom installed - did the webos quick install program install novacom? Your touchpad is plugged into the computer and NOT in usb storage mode right?

Try rebooting your computer. If that doesnt work, try plugging the touchpad into a different usb port. If that fails, try plugging it into a usb port while webos quick install is open.

You should see the touchpad get recognized... If it's not happening let us know and we'll try and help out .
    Last edited by ncinerate; 08/22/2011 at 10:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    i found first the referenced thread (My HP Touchpad seems to be running so fast!) and completed the webOS Quick Install and Preware patches.

thanks for this one, with more up-to-date tips. recharging the touchpad to full now for the webOS Doctor step.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Ok Drachen. You need Novacom installed - did the webos quick install program install novacom? Your touchpad is plugged into the computer and NOT in usb storage mode right?

Try rebooting your computer. If that doesnt work, try plugging the touchpad into a different usb port. If that fails, try plugging it into a usb port while webos quick install is open.

You should see the touchpad get recognized... If it's not happening let us know and we'll try and help out .
    Thank you for the quick reply. It was something very stupid... I put it into developer mode, but didn't hit the button to move forward where it asks you for a password (I was told to not put a password in there, so I figured that meant just leave everything alone). Anyway, as soon as I got ALL THE WAY into developer mode, it was a snap! I am very impressed with webOS so far, both the operating system and the community. I can imagine that I will be far more impressed once I actually get MINE and am not supporting my wife's. LOL
  6.    #46  
    Glad I could help! I went ahead and edited the original post to mention the whole "moving past the password" thing when getting into Dev mode (somehow I'd forgotten to mention that).

If you already like the touchpad experience you'll love it once you get everything tweaked to your liking. My suggestions should get you started but don't be afraid to change things to suit -you- .
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Glad I could help! I went ahead and edited the original post to mention the whole "moving past the password" thing when getting into Dev mode (somehow I'd forgotten to mention that).

If you already like the touchpad experience you'll love it once you get everything tweaked to your liking. My suggestions should get you started but don't be afraid to change things to suit -you- .
    Sure, I understand. Do you know if I can create a wifi hotspot on my android phone and have the TP see it? I tried and it didn't seem to pick it up. Any suggestions?

Honestly, the more I play with it, the more I hope that the devs can find a way to run android apps within webos (a la the blackberry playbook), so that I can get the best of both worlds.
  8.    #48  
    Should work without a problem. Start a wifi network with your phone, go into wifi on the tablet and pick the wifi hotspot made by the phone...

There's no reason this wouldn't work - I've used it off my phone wifi and off of several regular wifi routers. Wifi has nothing to do with operating systems, so it should work from an android phone just as easy as anything.
    Does anyone know how to make the touchpad read RTL languages coz it only shows boxes instead of words
    thanks for the helpful beginners guide, just brought mine from australia a day ago

was wandering if its easy to remove preware/patches and everything else installed easily?
    i know that once homebrew-ing your wii you cant remove some items later and it is left on ur wii permanently. is this the case with the hp touchpad?

Thanks !
  11.    #51  
    Patch removal is -nothing- like the Wii. Homebrew on the touchpad is basically supported and allowed by everyone involved, including HP. You don't have to "hack" the device to allow for it.

Removing a patch is as easy as clicking the "remove" button in preware. Removal of preware is just like any other app, just click on it's icon and hold until the box goes gray, and hit the X, then select delete.

Even if you totally manage to botch everything (not sure how you'd do that), there is webOS doctor to fix the touchpad and bring it back up to factory-fresh new condition.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    cool. so i installed the recommended patches/apps, except for the remove tap ripple patch. i like it, and it's an immediate visual differentiator from my android tablet. i might remove it later once the novelty wears off.

anyway, got a few questions: 1) i can't find internalz in the hp app catalog as noted by developer of the internalz pro. no biggie, i can handle the pro version, just thought it was interesting that i couldn't find it; 2) within preware, i see NesEm by kalemsoft, but no description. anyone know? is this similar to superNES app from hp app catalog? 3) there is an Unknown packaged installed called 'This is a webOS application. is this part of the stock OS or was it installed as part of Preware patch/app?

by the way, i also installed the Increase Touchpad Volume booster (lite). nice.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Hey everyone,
    Just got my touchpad, did the update and got webosquickinstall to download. It prompted me to download the driver so I did, then when I plugged in the touchpad it didn't find it. So I restarted both the PC and Touchpad and used a different usb port...but now when I double click the webosquickinstall to launch it, it gives me the load screen. It won't let me close it in task manager either. Any thoughts??

Thanks all!
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffrlp View Post
    Hey everyone,
    Just got my touchpad, did the update and got webosquickinstall to download. It prompted me to download the driver so I did, then when I plugged in the touchpad it didn't find it. So I restarted both the PC and Touchpad and used a different usb port...but now when I double click the webosquickinstall to launch it, it gives me the load screen. It won't let me close it in task manager either. Any thoughts??

Thanks all!
    Make sure the touchpad is in developer mode first and foremost. Try a few other things (switching usb port, reinstalling driver, etc).
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    A quick thank you to everyone adding to this thread, along with MAJOR kudos to the author. I've had my TP for just 2 days and followed many of his recommendations, have greatly improved the stock unit. The overall APP pool is way thin, and hopefully that will improve over the next few months. We really need a good Ebook reader, Rss reader
    Thanks for the quick reponse ncinerate,
    I was wandering which preware patches I should look to avoid. I read that some patches can void the warranty and some just arent for beginners to touch.

Is overclocking to 1.5 or 1.7ghz recommended? How easy is the process and are there any disadvantages?

thanks in advance
  17.    #57  
    I use preader as my ebook reader and like it just fine. Have you tried it?

There's also the kindle app if that's what moves you... At 99$ this thing is a full color kindle for less $$$ than a kindle.

Google reader works reasonably nice as an rss feed reader until we get more appstore options.
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by edwarrior317 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reponse ncinerate,
    I was wandering which preware patches I should look to avoid. I read that some patches can void the warranty and some just arent for beginners to touch.

Is overclocking to 1.5 or 1.7ghz recommended? How easy is the process and are there any disadvantages?

thanks in advance
    You really won't hurt your touchpad with the normal patches, and you won't hurt your warranty either. Overclocking to 1.5ghz isn't too big of a deal because the chip in your touchpad is running at that speed stock on other devices (its been conservatively clocked for the touchpad). Its about as safe as running stock speeds. Going to 1.7 or beyond is starting to get risky, and can result in instability, boot loops, crashes, all kinds of fun stuff. Its very much "in development". You will still likely not do anything that can't be fixed by webOS doctor etc, but that is certainly upping the risk factor. Get involved in this unstable kernel development space at your own risk. Personally, I'd stick with 1.5 as an average user - its stable, fast, safe, and simple to set up.

As for warranty, while some of these things (like overclocking) -may- technically effect warranty, I haven't seen a single instance where it actually has. If the touchpad is broken there is no visual indication it was clocked, if it is still running but "broken" (broken touchscreen for instance) it is easy to run webOS doc and return it to stock before you send it in for repair.

Hp/palm encourage homebrew development. They have released a very open platform and made it virtually impossible to "brick". Have no fear, but use bleeding edge "testing feed" patches/apps/kernels at your own risk. There is a reason preware doesn't come with testing feeds enabled. If you go through the trouble to enable them, you will be accepting the risks associated with being on the bleeding edge.
    Last edited by ncinerate; 08/23/2011 at 09:32 AM.
    this doesnt change your clock speed or anything does it?
  20.    #60  
    What do you mean nilesh?