Page 25 of 55 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
Like Tree309Likes
    Thanks for your reply. I will try the thread, but someone else is having a similar problem and there was no help for the person. I will try though.
    I am stuck in the process to get connection to the webos installer

While I can get the USB symbol, I donīt get asked which driver to install. Novacom is already installed on my PC (have a Pre)

TP is recognized as USB drive. Can anyone help please. Don`t know what else to do...
    ^for it to be detected DO NOT connect as USB Drive lol. and it will work.

____

OP I must say TREMENDOUS job!!!
    I even got ubuntu via lxde etc working by your method as well as other things. Excellent guide man.
    I used your method for the root access vs the script.
    Proxy's were not supported for me but i got Switchy! and ill try that monday. My university has a lame proxy and we all know how the TP lacks this support.

One question is though, is there anyway to get flash in Chromium in ubuntu?

And this is for those junkies who use Browsermark. Not sure if its posted already but here are mines.

1.5Ghz

1.728Ghz

1.5Ghz on xserver/ubuntu+chromium
  4. zc1
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Flash works for me in chromium. What doesn't work is Java.
    sorry to ask, but if got a question about flash usage. being worried about the write usage, flash won't last forever. is it very hard to implement this (or is it already implemented)? Xubuntu - moving parts of /var to RAM to minimize writes (Page 1) / Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu / EeeUser Forum
    also having chrome to use ram instead of flash memory for caching would be nice. i'm too new to linux to understand what's going on... sorry.
    do i have to be worried?
    maybe there would be even a small speedup??
  6.    #486  
    Your flash memory will likely outlive the useful life of the touchpad. You'll be worrying about a new battery before you will worry about hitting the file write limit.

Besides that, the march of technology will continue and leave the touchpad well behind. Just the other day I "gifted" a laptop from circa 2006 to an impoverished 8th grade student in need. My almost 2000$ pride and joy gaming laptop, a beast with a massive screen (high resolution, for its day) and a half ton of heft to go with it, putting enough heat off during use to fry eggs. Today? A relic. Its running windows 7 effectively and its still capable as a workhorse thanks to it's still reasonably formidable specs, but its a dinosaur.

My point is, your touchpad will likely fall out of use long before it is physically incapable of running. Five or six years from now you'll be using the latest and greatest without so much as a thought toward the touchpad sitting idle in a drawer or box (or given to your 3 year old as a toy). The flash drive will still be working but you won't particularly care. I've got a box full of these sorts of devices, game changers in their day but destined to rot. Last time I was digging into my "box of forgotten wonders" I pulled out my palm/Sony clie. It was sitting in there on its charging dock waiting on me to pick it back up. Once upon a time it spent every single day in my pocket getting heavy use. I hit the power button for giggles and the green backlit screen fired right up. A few taps of the stylus later and I was reading an ebook I'd placed there in 2002 or 2003 and never finished reading. I turned it back off, set it back on its dock, and gently returned it to the box. Ever reliable as always, and completely useless to me today. Inevitably, the touchpad will join it someday taking up a space somewhere between the laserdisc player and a fully upgraded ibm pc Jr. I might even pick that CLIE back up again, and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts it'll still fire right up.
    Last edited by ncinerate; 09/10/2011 at 11:08 PM.
    i don't get why my flash isnt working in chromium. i even copied the libflashplugin.so file to usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins/

oh and now my desktop on ubuntu lxde is gray like xserver and im seeing a constant 75% cpu usage and file manager is broken. LOL. ill be removing ubuntu and i really wanted it for the proxy server support...

Edit: I ended up switching to the script method. Still flash is a no go. I'm currently installing ubuntu restricted extras package. I see it has flash and java and yes firefox.
    Flash just randomly worked in firefox...
    Last edited by mibaksh; 09/11/2011 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Changed GUI for ubuntu.
  8.    #488  
    Quote Originally Posted by mibaksh View Post
    i don't get why my flash isnt working in chromium. i even copied the libflashplugin.so file to usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins/

oh and now my desktop on ubuntu lxde is gray like xserver and im seeing a constant 75% cpu usage and file manager is broken. LOL. ill be removing ubuntu and i really wanted it for the proxy server support...

Edit: I ended up switching to the script method. Still flash is a no go. I'm currently installing ubuntu restricted extras package. I see it has flash and java and yes firefox.
    Flash just randomly worked in firefox...
    Interesting observation. Keep me posted with what you end up working out - if you can, offer up a quick guide on how to follow because I wouldn't mind having flash working in ubuntu .
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    The Kalemsoft media streamer is much bettr than this "Orb" mycast affair. Simpler, and better quality stream.
  10. zc1
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    @mibaksh:

Did you do the quick install from the "New to Touchpad?" thread (i.e. this thread) or did you do the 'going all-in' partition+install from the http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...ml#post3147058 thread?

I did the latter, as well as the http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...on-ubuntu.html which adds a bunch of stuff (including the flash plugin).
    How I did it initially was the method outlined by the OP AND not the easy configurator. Hence solely nc's method. Then I installed ubuntu-restricted-extras and still flash was a no go in even Mozilla with a visible "error has occurred." then I tried playing around and somehow things broke (and I'm talking just extracting a tarball with flash lol) and it started playing up . I tried running the easy script and it sort of worked but I of course didn't have root access in filemanager so bleh.

I gave up and redid the entire procedure using nc's partition method again but the easy script. Then I installed back ubuntu-restricted-extras from synaptics package manager. And when I loaded adobe website... It said flash installed but YouTube still had "error occurred." then randomly I closed and opened it a few times and it started to work. YouTube that is. It's laggy but works. Then again I am clocked at 1.2ghz. Tried 1.728ghz and it's still laggy. May be it's how we are not utilizing ram? Dunno?
    But it works. Just really badly lol.

bigger issues now my audio is broken. Don't know why. I'm restarting now but system sounds work but audio in music, YouTube, etc is not working. I just restarted and it seems to work. I didn't remount ubuntu yet tho. I guess I need to cram out the command lol.
    (sorry about the length)
    Last edited by mibaksh; 09/11/2011 at 05:01 PM.
    Just wanted to say, this guide is the best guide out there....
    Any idea how long setting up the 1.9G file should take when setting up for Ubuntu?

http://forums.precentral.net/3120605-post338.html

It says "it takes awhile to set up a nearly 2 gigabyte file. Just use the command and set the touchpad aside while it does it's work." Just wanted to have a ballpark of how long to wait before thinking something isn't working right.
    Thank you for an excellent Post! This is a great starting point for jumping in and getting your feet wet in webOS.

Does anyone know if there is a way to pair an Apple Bluetooth keyboard with the TouchPad? I assume there is a signature or something that I'm missing or something.
  15.    #495  
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang5o View Post
    Any idea how long setting up the 1.9G file should take when setting up for Ubuntu?

http://forums.precentral.net/3120605-post338.html

It says "it takes awhile to set up a nearly 2 gigabyte file. Just use the command and set the touchpad aside while it does it's work." Just wanted to have a ballpark of how long to wait before thinking something isn't working right.
    It takes awhile. If it doesn't seem to be progressing after 15-20 minutes, try closing out, opening xserver/xterm back up. Sometimes this seems to freeze up at this step even though it HAS completed it. Once terminal is back up, go back to the right directory by typing:

cd /media/cryptofs

Now perform the next command:

mkfs.ext3 -F -b 1024 ubuntu.img 1900000

And so on based on the original instructions. Bear in mind this command will take awhile as well - just let the touchpad sit for 20-30 minutes to ensure it has finished before moving on.
    that's weird i cant stay login on the forum with my touchpad
    anyway.
    Sound seems to be working now. I didn't get to test out proxy support inside ubuntu today.

In terms of time to create the file. My first attempt i got a screenshot and it took 335seconds. which is roughly 6 minutes (at 5.8MB/s). The second time i made it, took almost 600seconds at 2.8MB/s.

nc, for the record... epic info you have posted here and you continue to help out, that is even greater.

I have one question,
    If i do the longer permanent Ubuntu setup, can it easily be removed say when they release android for the TP?
    Great thread, thanks!
  18.    #498  
    anyway.
    Sound seems to be working now. I didn't get to test out proxy support inside ubuntu today.

In terms of time to create the file. My first attempt i got a screenshot and it took 335seconds. which is roughly 6 minutes (at 5.8MB/s). The second time i made it, took almost 600seconds at 2.8MB/s.

nc, for the record... epic info you have posted here and you continue to help out, that is even greater.

I have one question,
    If i do the longer permanent Ubuntu setup, can it easily be removed say when they release android for the TP?
    The "long way" removal involves re-running metadoctor and removing a partition.

It's basically a full reset of the touchpad, annoying to say the least since you'll have to re-patch and setup the system once you're done.

That's not to say it isn't worth it IF you use ubuntu in more of a power-user capacity. 2 gigabytes simply isn't alot of space, and you'll be measuring your free-space in hundreds of megabytes by the time you install everything up to and including libreoffice. That's fine for playing around with ubuntu and GENERAL use, but if you want to get serious about installing all sorts of stuff you're going to want a significantly bigger partition.

If you did go through the trouble of doing this I doubt it'd effect an android install when it does finally show up. Shouldn't be long now considering the progress we're seeing.
  19.    #499  
    anyway.
    Yeah, forums are REALLY screwy on the touchpad due to it's insane cache'ing. Technically if you do things right (log in, hit "remember me" etc) it will actually -be- logged in and let you post replies etc. That said, it's wonky.

If I'm not mistaken you can fix this by disabling browser cache'ing. I'll play with it, maybe even add a section about this in the original post.
    bahhh humbug. I like this version of ubuntu. Its really the proxy support I'm after. Thanks for those details.

I see! I am somehow logged into precentral so woohoo.

my last bit of issues is that I tried deleting the filenotify.db3 file in var/luna/data/ but my photos are still... Weird on the touchpqd . Any solution yet? I remember reqding its because of the muffling of the logging