Page 24 of 55 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
Like Tree309Likes
    I followed your thead to the letter. I installed the apps you suggested. They all seem to work great. Your step by step guide was great. However you said you would do a step by step explanation of how to use Govnah. Unless I have missed it, there was no instructions on how to use it.
    Also now that I have done all those installs my app catalog does not work. Any suggestions?
  2.    #462  
    Quote Originally Posted by flitir View Post
    I followed your thead to the letter. I installed the apps you suggested. They all seem to work great. Your step by step guide was great. However you said you would do a step by step explanation of how to use Govnah. Unless I have missed it, there was no instructions on how to use it.
    Also now that I have done all those installs my app catalog does not work. Any suggestions?
    I deliberately left instructions for govnah out of the guide. My thought was people should do a bit more research and actually know what they are doing before performing a potentially warranty-ending modification such as overclocking.

Now, of course, the reasonable individual may say that using uberkernel is perfectly safe (it uses a manufacturer supported speed on the processor), and that there's little chance anyone would have a warranty claim denied because of it (a broken touchpad tells no tales, as they say), but I still wanted to err on the side of caution.

As for how to use govna, it's incredibly simple (hint, click on the spot that says PROFILE and it will allow you to reach the advanced settings that will allow you to set your cpu frequency to ondemandtcl with a max freq of 1.5ghz). Spend a few minutes fiddling with the settings inside the profile/advanced settings areas and you can easily figure things out. Most of the settings can be more or less left alone (they are more for power-users, so ignore all the generally incomprehensible tcp congestion or i/o schedulers etc). Focus on cranking up the top-end processor speed to the 1.5ghz mark - and ONLY on that - then hit apply.

If you cannot figure out how this works by either some light experimentation or by reading up the actual documentation here on the forum, I do not recommend that you overclock your touchpad.

This goes doubly for anyone considering taking their touchpad to the bleeding edge (dual 1.8ghz afterburners running full-time for example). Yes, it's really really amazing, but it's also NOT considered completely stable and there's a very real chance of doing -real- damage to your device. You'd better know exactly what you're doing before jumping into those shark infested waters.

As for your app catalog woes, I have no idea why it's not working for you. These adjustments should do absolutely nothing negative to your app catalog. Try a full reboot of your touchpad and see if that fixes the problem.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Forgive me if my questions are dumb, but I am new to HPTP and also blonde! I followed the guide to do all the patches etc and I also did the overclock to 1.5 (quite easy to follow, so THANK YOU ncinerate!) But now it seems my tp is slower then it was before. Even my bf, who is a tablet junkie said it seemed slow to him. Any suggestions on something I may have done wrong?? Also, here's my stupid question...I have tried putting files on tp (via usb through pc) and I can not locate them on my tp. I put a couple pdf files to read (magazines) as well as a movie, and once I get onto my tablet, I have no idea where they are. My bf said he felt his archos andriod tablet was much simpler to use, but I just love the feel of the TP, so I really want to show him how awesome it can be!
  4. J0E
    Hey. I am dying to tweak my touchpad like I used to do with my original pre. However, I heard a few weeks ago that WebOS 3.0.2 would be getting a big update eventually and I have held off tweaking so I wouldn't have to reverse everything just to update. Anyone know if this rumor is true and if so, if it's going to come around anytime soon?
    Quote Originally Posted by J0E View Post
    Hey. I am dying to tweak my touchpad like I used to do with my original pre. However, I heard a few weeks ago that WebOS 3.0.2 would be getting a big update eventually and I have held off tweaking so I wouldn't have to reverse everything just to update. Anyone know if this rumor is true and if so, if it's going to come around anytime soon?
    There's no way to know and I wouldn't worry about rumors. Go ahead and tweak away and not worry about it.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/09/2011 at 01:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickdawg49 View Post
    Need help. Does the touchpad leave the developer stage on its own?
    Once you turn on the Developer Mode - it stays on until you turn it off. It doesn't matter if it is left on or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsptkd View Post
    I am looking for a way to play music and control the left and right speaker volumes independently. Does anyone know of a procedure or an app that will do this on my HP Touchpad ?
    Nothing available at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbidoll75 View Post
    Forgive me if my questions are dumb, but I am new to HPTP and also blonde! I followed the guide to do all the patches etc and I also did the overclock to 1.5 (quite easy to follow, so THANK YOU ncinerate!) But now it seems my tp is slower then it was before. Even my bf, who is a tablet junkie said it seemed slow to him. Any suggestions on something I may have done wrong?? Also, here's my stupid question...I have tried putting files on tp (via usb through pc) and I can not locate them on my tp. I put a couple pdf files to read (magazines) as well as a movie, and once I get onto my tablet, I have no idea where they are. My bf said he felt his archos andriod tablet was much simpler to use, but I just love the feel of the TP, so I really want to show him how awesome it can be!
    Hi Barbiedoll75, and Welcome to P|C

Firstly... if you are using any of the OC kernels you need to make sure you are also have the Govnah app installed. The directions in this thread do not contain information on operating the Govnah app - which I think is a very good decision. Anyone who is willing to overclock their device NEEDS do to a little bit of reading and learning on their own to operate and set the device correctly. Be sure you read this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...01-govnah.html, in order to have your device set up correctly for overclocking.

Next... You should be able to simply drag/drop the files to the main area of your TouchPad (or anywhere really) via USB from your computer. Your PDF files should show up automatically if you open QuickOffice.

As for your movie not showing up, it may not be an issue with the device but rather the format you have the movie in. Do you know what video format the movie file is? Also, a quick trick I use for my movies is to create a "movie" folder on the TouchPad's usb partition and then create another folder within that one named whatever the movie is. Example: A folder named "Matrix" with the movie file within that. This way the actual folder with the movie title shows up on the left pane of the Photo's app, making finding the movie a lot easier.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/09/2011 at 01:06 PM.
    Thank you for the info. I played with it for a while when I downloaded it. But I did not want to make any changes until I knew what I was doing. I do not know what is going on with my App catalog either. It works some times but gives me an error message once in a while.
  10.    #470  
    EDIT: Jeez I take a minute to eat while typing and nnnewman beats me to the punch - Ditto nnnewman!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbidoll75 View Post
    Your touchpad should not feel slower than stock, but bear in mind, if he's comparing it to a tablet like the ipad it is still a bit slower in everyday operation (it'll take longer to load a webpage for example). Even overclocked to the hilt and with everything running tip-top, there's no getting around the fact that our webkit browser is a BIT subpar . That said, my touchpad has never felt "slow" in my hands.

Make sure your govna settings are set in a performance oriented way (you'll understand if you look at it, or you can go read the govna/uberkernel thread for proper settings to use). If you've done that and followed the rest of this guide then the touchpad -should- be running wonderfully. Compare your touchpad speed to the one in the video posted in the first page. If it's significantly slower than the touchpad shown in that video, you may have done something wrong.

As for your other questions. Dropping PDF's into the touchpad should be simple. Just drop them straight into the base root directory if you having any trouble. Open the adobe app and they should be right there staring you in the face. I just did it myself once again to test, it automatically picked up the new file without any effort on my part whatsoever. Just drag the file and drop it on your touchpad folder in file explorer. Problem solved .

You -can- go to the trouble of making a custom folder in there (named something like "ebooks" or whatever), but there's no real need unless you want to do some housekeeping to keep things organized.

Same goes for movies, music, etc. You -CAN- organize it, but you don't have to. Bear in mind any movie you put on there needs to be in a touchpad readable format however (as discussed in the first page).
    Last edited by ncinerate; 09/09/2011 at 01:11 PM.
  11.    #471  
    Quote Originally Posted by flitir View Post
    Thank you for the info. I played with it for a while when I downloaded it. But I did not want to make any changes until I knew what I was doing. I do not know what is going on with my App catalog either. It works some times but gives me an error message once in a while.
    Ahh, honestly I think that's an issue on HP's end. There are a lot of new users getting their touchpads and surfing the app catalog so there may be some issues for a little while (same with trying to upgrade your touchpad).

I'd doubt it has anything to do with your actual upgrades etc.
    Does anyone happen to know what to do when using Orb and your home computer goes into sleep mode? I did click the "wake up your computer" link but nothing happened. Everything else about using remote access works great...thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I don't see much reason to stay at 1.2ghz - the chip is built for 1.5ghz (it's "underclocked" on our touchpads) and has no issues running that all-day-long. There's a negligible battery life difference and everything runs just that much smoother.

In short, I'd say clocking it to 1.5ghz is the way to go.

As for the ripple, I prefer the touchpad without it and got annoyed at the little lags etc that it caused in the onscreen keyboard and when inside applications. YMMV but things absolutely run better without it. On the same coin, one of the nice things about the touchpad is the ability to fiddle with it until it meets -your- desires. If you want tap ripple, go for it!
    I know the 64's are at 1.5, but the reason I stuck with 1.2 is because it seems fast enough. But ok, you twisted my arm. 1.5 installing. :-)

Also if like mine your Touchpad is greasier than Jessica Simpson's thighs.
    What I did with mine is used a microfiber cloth wrung out with warm water, so its basically dry, buff with a microfiber and then the glasses cloth to finish it off. I'm using a screen protector on the front. It also worked for the back. Whether this is the ideal solution to use I don't know, but it worked perfect for me.
  14.    #474  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aston Martin View Post
    I know the 64's are at 1.5, but the reason I stuck with 1.2 is because it seems fast enough. But ok, you twisted my arm. 1.5 installing. :-)
    No harm in it, may as well . You'll get essentially the same battery life, usefulness, product life, and a snappier OS.

Just try not to let the slippery slope grab you. I was perfectly happy at 1.5ghz..................... Until I installed dual 1.8ghz .

It'd be hard to go back now.
    Thanks for all your efforts! With Google Chrome installed will the full web page for Gmail and Google Docs scroll properly?
    I just reinstalled webOS and I am trying to install private browsing again and its not installing.

"-1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps/bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.browser-private-browsing.postinst2>&1
    1 out of 5 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/source/Browser.jsjsjs.$rej$&$quot$;

Any way to fix the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aston Martin View Post

Also if like mine your Touchpad is greasier than Jessica Simpson's thighs.
    What I did with mine is used a microfiber cloth wrung out with warm water, so its basically dry, buff with a microfiber and then the glasses cloth to finish it off. I'm using a screen protector on the front. It also worked for the back. Whether this is the ideal solution to use I don't know, but it worked perfect for me.
    ... the chip is -not- underclocked to 1.2. The chip is spec for 1.2. Just because the vast majority of them will do well over that, be aware.
  18.    #478  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    ... the chip is -not- underclocked to 1.2. The chip is spec for 1.2. Just because the vast majority of them will do well over that, be aware.
    The actual hardware spec for the chip in the touchpad is rated from the manufacturer at 1.5ghz, not 1.2. This has been fairly well documented.

Don't believe me? Here's the datasheet from the manufacturer:
    Qualcomm Document Center - Snapdragon MSM8x60 / APQ8060 Product Brief

HP underclocked it for slightly improved battery life, but it is -completely- capable and rated for 1.5ghz.

Now, if we're talking about taking it to 1.9ghz, yeah, that's well beyond the manufacturer's recommendations. Obviously that has the chance of doing damage, but 1.5ghz should be rock-solid.
    Forgive me if this has been answered numerous times, but WebOS Doctor freezes at 12% no matter what I do. I try running both 3.0.2 & 3.0.0 many times. I try opening Novaterm and using command: dosfsck -r /dev/mapper/store-media. It says something like:

There are differences between boot sector and its backup.
    Differences: (offsetriginal/backup)
    71:48/20, 72:50/20, 74:54/20, 75:4f/20, 76:55/20, 77:43/20, 78:48/20
    , 79:50/20, 80:41/20, 81:44/20
    1) Copy original to backup
    2) Copy backup to original
    3) No action

I tried all 3 options. It goes on forever without seemingly doing anything while WebOS Doc is running in the background. WebOS Doctor only stops when it runs out of battery. I have to physically pull the cable out and charge it before I can run WebOS Doctor again. WebOS Doc can not charge it. Any help?
  20.    #480  
    Quote Originally Posted by qcshin View Post
    Forgive me if this has been answered numerous times, but WebOS Doctor freezes at 12% no matter what I do. I try running both 3.0.2 & 3.0.0 many times. I try opening Novaterm and using command: dosfsck -r /dev/mapper/store-media. It says something like:

There are differences between boot sector and its backup.
    Differences: (offsetriginal/backup)
    71:48/20, 72:50/20, 74:54/20, 75:4f/20, 76:55/20, 77:43/20, 78:48/20
    , 79:50/20, 80:41/20, 81:44/20
    1) Copy original to backup
    2) Copy backup to original
    3) No action

I tried all 3 options. It goes on forever without seemingly doing anything while WebOS Doc is running in the background. WebOS Doctor only stops when it runs out of battery. I have to physically pull the cable out and charge it before I can run WebOS Doctor again. WebOS Doc can not charge it. Any help?
    I don't really have advice on this issue - I'm not sure what is causing a few people to have it and I haven't heard of a concrete solution as-yet.

The best answers seems to come from this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...sue-fixed.html

Consider posting your issues there and hopefully some devs can help out!