Page 21 of 55 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 1084
Like Tree309Likes
  1. #401  
    Quote Originally Posted by Erazor07 View Post
    Is there a patch that will allow my touchpad to find ad-hoc wifi off my andriod phone? my touchpad cant seem to pickup the wifi off my phone.

    Any ideas?


    Thanks
    I had real problems getting my TP to see my Desire, using wi-fi analyser I found that the desire was using the same channel as every other wi-fi device close to me. I change the channel to 13 which no one else was using and now works every time. Even with the phone close to the TP it would only occasionally connect until changing to an uncongested channel.
  2. #402  
    Hi I seem to have some problems installing UberKernal. The installation comes up with an error, and the IPKG log goes something along the lines of unable to run command. Anyone finds this familiar?
  3. #403  
    when i load ubuntu, the default touchpad keyboard covers everything and it doesn't minimize when i hit the minimize keyboard icon on the screen. ***?
  4. #404  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I know -why-, but that doesn't make it any less stupid.

    My 2 year old had that thing dismantled before I knew it was even possible - and I caught him as he was preparing to touch the now-exposed prongs sticking out of the plug socket.

    Awesome.

    It's a poor product design, pure and simple. It's absolutely unacceptable that HP chose to leave exposed electrical prongs in such a place. They should be covered and recessed, not sticking out waiting on a small child to play with them after taking it apart.
    Never said it wasn't stupid, just pointing it out since literally almost every site that talks about it doesnt know why it does that.
  5. xur17's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #405  
    This question probably seems stupid, but I wanted to double check.

    I installed a bunch of patches from prepare on my touchpad, and then installed uberkernel. Do I need to reinstall all of my patches after I install a new kernel (I'm not sure how the kernel installation works, and whether or not it replaces the files that are patched, essentially removing the patches)?
  6. c000's Avatar
    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    #406  
    Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    I had this problem until I selected Reinstall Novacom from WebOS QuickInstall. Not sure why I had to since everything worked fine with my Palm Pre.
    sadly that didnt work. now i am getting an error message on my touchpad

    "unable to run command: /usr/bin/ipkg -o/media/cryptofs/apps update 2>&1


    anyway, i'll probably just do a full erase and try from scratch
  7. #407  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blotch View Post
    I'm trying to install preware on my TP following guide in OP, but when I click on the webos jar file it opens up my OVI/Nokia suite!!! Any ideas? I've tried re-booting TP and my Win 7 HP laptop several times, but I can only get OVI/Nokia suite to open...confused....
    After spending about an hour with numerous installs/un-installs I gave up - but had a 'feeling' it was something to do with my laptop running 64 bit Win 7. So out came the trusty 32bit Win7 netbook, and within minutes preware was installed just as advertised.

    Thanks for a great guide, its really made a difference to the speed of my TP - Thank you....now to go find some good apps..... :-)
  8. auto_exec's Avatar
    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #408  
    Quote Originally Posted by garycoleman View Post
    when i load ubuntu, the default touchpad keyboard covers everything and it doesn't minimize when i hit the minimize keyboard icon on the screen. ***?
    A few things.. you should install Tweaks from Preware to set the size of the on-screen keyboard area (Off, XS, S, M, L, etc).. once that's done, and you're nack in your xserver/xterm window, you can touch and hold on the keyboard minimize button to select the keyboard size that matches your setting (e.g. XS, S, M, etc., assuming you didn't set it to Off).

    Also, FYI - one time I was playing around and, not sure why, but the on-screen keyboard completely disappeared (but the black area remained).. wound up having to do a Luna restart, and it was back to normal.

    Hope this helps..
  9. auto_exec's Avatar
    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #409  
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    sadly that didnt work. now i am getting an error message on my touchpad

    "unable to run command: /usr/bin/ipkg -o/media/cryptofs/apps update 2>&1


    anyway, i'll probably just do a full erase and try from scratch
    Have you tried a Luna restart? Or a device restart? Or a hard reboot (Power + Home for 15 seconds or so)?

    I had a similar error when trying to download/install some applications from preware, I think a Luna restart fixed it..
  10. #410  
    Not sure if this has been asked before, but is the Touchpad multi-voltage (110-240)?
  11. #411  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbloggs View Post
    Not sure if this has been asked before, but is the Touchpad multi-voltage (110-240)?
    The Touch Pad per-se works on its battery and thus it not related to Multi-Voltage.

    The Charger is the unit that is plugged to the wall, and thus it is Voltage dependent.

    The Round charger that came with my Touch Pad is 110-240 VAC.

    .
    Last edited by Jack-FI; 09/04/2011 at 11:59 AM.
  12. robbie87's Avatar
    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    #412  
    awesome guide! Thanks so much!
  13. #413  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    It's absolutely unacceptable that HP chose to leave exposed electrical prongs in such a place. They should be covered and recessed, not sticking out waiting on a small child to play with them after taking it apart.
    When these two prongs are exposed the Charger can not be plugged into anything and thus it is Not an electrical hazard.

    Actually it is a clever design, I wish more like this around.

    Specific toys and devices that are used by, and for babies, should be security proof.

    Otherwise, you can Not design everything in the world to be baby proof.

    Unless you consider the Touch Pad as a baby toy. 。◕ ‿ ◕。

    .
  14. #414  
    Quote Originally Posted by phitec View Post
    Hi, thanks for your awesome write up, makes my TP run so much faster. I just have a problem trying to install Ubuntu. I have updated all the necessary test feeds. I go into preware and install Xserver, Xterm, and Xecutah -to confirm it has installed I see the green arrow. Then I exit out and go into the 'Downloads' tab in launcher. None of those programs are there. So I do a device restart hoping it would appear, still no go . I launch preware and search for those programs. Preware says it isn't installed (no green arrow this time). I install it again. Exit preware -> go back into preware, search for those programs in preware to make sure the green arrow is there but it's not! I tried doing this at least 7 times back and forth. In preware it does go through the download/installing process, but it doesn't show up anyway on my TP. What am I doing wrong? Any ideas why this is happening? Also I made sure I have all the correct feeds, if I didn't then xserver, xterm, or xecutah wouldn't even show up. Any help would be great! Thanks!
    Ok problem fixed..I had to delete the feeds 'armv6' and 'i686' from preware. Thanks!
  15. #415  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blotch View Post
    After spending about an hour with numerous installs/un-installs I gave up - but had a 'feeling' it was something to do with my laptop running 64 bit Win 7. So out came the trusty 32bit Win7 netbook, and within minutes preware was installed just as advertised.

    Thanks for a great guide, its really made a difference to the speed of my TP - Thank you....now to go find some good apps..... :-)
    New member here. Seems like you've resolved the problem, but for everybody else who might encounter this predicament - it's not 64 or 32 bit thing. I have XP 32 and had the same problem yesterday and it drove me nuts, then I just decided to uninstall Ovi (because I can get it back anytime) and the install went without a hitch. It probably has something to do with jar files being associated with Ovi. I'm sure there must be a simpler solution for folks who are less computer-challenged than me, but for what it's worth it worked great.

    And yes, this guide is fantastic and thanks so much to all the foolks who have come up with all the solutions and made it so easy for the rest of us.
  16.    #416  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-FI View Post
    When these two prongs are exposed the Charger can not be plugged into anything and thus it is Not an electrical hazard.

    Actually it is a clever design, I wish more like this around.

    Specific toys and devices that are used by, and for babies, should be security proof.

    Otherwise, you can Not design everything in the world to be baby proof.

    Unless you consider the Touch Pad as a baby toy. 。◕ ‿ ◕。

    .
    Wait. Ok, now I have to check...

    - You're right . I guess in my "panic moment" I didnt realize that the prongs are on the "other" part of the charger. The electrical connections on the "plug" side are recessed and as safe as any plug socket can be.

    I retract my previous "stupid" statement, and will now refer to the plug design as "poor".

    As for the touchpad being a baby toy - hey, it works . My son can operate webOS at 2 years 4 months old - he swipes cards away, gets into the launcher, and loads up games like angry birds or big boss, then plays them effectively. He gets into the browser, lets me load up youtube, then spends half an hour watching various videos (clicking from one to the next all by himself). He loves the thing. He calls it "daddy toy".

    I figure with the HP case on it, gorilla glass, and the price I paid, it's pretty safe in his hands. He's grown up in a world where touchscreens are the norm, he takes to it like water and honestly it's pretty amazing to watch. I've spent more money on single cruddy plastic fall-apart baby toys than I did on this touchpad. It's an amazing baby toy.
    Last edited by ncinerate; 09/04/2011 at 04:57 PM.
    bnordby and fredewins like this.
  17. #417  
    OP, you might consider adding this link to the OP under the Ubuntu instructions.

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...on-ubuntu.html

    This user made an install script that automates setting up a new Ubuntu install complete with virtual keyboard, gestures, etc.
  18.    #418  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjinglesusa View Post
    OP, you might consider adding this link to the OP under the Ubuntu instructions.

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...on-ubuntu.html

    This user made an install script that automates setting up a new Ubuntu install complete with virtual keyboard, gestures, etc.
    Thanks, I went ahead and added that as a recommended step in setting up ubuntu. Awesome stuff!
    selat likes this.
  19. #419  
    Quote Originally Posted by sunraph View Post
    It probably has something to do with jar files being associated with Ovi.
    hello, what is Ovi?
    I am pretty certain that Ovi has never been on the PC that I am using, so I am tending to think that the inability to process the jar file really does have something to do with 64 vs 32 bit.
  20. #420  
    Quote Originally Posted by acz View Post
    hello, what is Ovi?
    I am pretty certain that Ovi has never been on the PC that I am using, so I am tending to think that the inability to process the jar file really does have something to do with 64 vs 32 bit.
    I un-installed OVI on my 64 bit laptop, but still didn't work - possibly remnants left in OS as I didn't run CCleaner. I just used the 32 bit netbook and all worked perfectly, preware was installed in a minute or so... :-) So I still don't know wheteher it was 32vs64bit thing or OVI....but may be of interest to those still trying to install preaware!

Posting Permissions